Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think a German Walther PPK made for the european market might fetch.

Made in 1976, 9mm Kurz Cal. Black grips, no box or (of course) papers.

It is not really a collectors item (I'm sure there were many produced), it is just unique on the US market.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I don't get it, why is it unique? Does it have special markings?

Sounds really cool, but what makes it different from any other PPK?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ May 20 2006,11:51)]I don't get it, why is it unique? Does it have special markings?

Well back in 1968 the Congress passed this Bill called "The Gun Control Act" (sometimes refered to as the GCA).

After 1968 no more Walther PPK's were imported. This is how the PPK/S evolved.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Actually the PPK and the TPH were both imported well beyond 1968 but could only be purchased by full time peace officers with their request on department letterhead.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I want one of those..... so I don't have to feel guilty about shooting a collectors gun !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (limeyinaz @ May 20 2006,5:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ May 20 2006,11:51)]I don't get it, why is it unique?  Does it have special markings?

Well back in 1968 the Congress passed this Bill called "The Gun Control Act" (sometimes refered to as the GCA).

After 1968 no more Walther PPK's were imported. This is how the PPK/S evolved.
Well, I realized that, but they aren't that unique.  Kind of cool though.

I guess it depends on how much they want for it.  I don't think it's worth that much more because of the date, but it would be nice to have.  They are fairly rare in the States because of the GCA, but I have seen a few here and there, because some police agencies did bring them in for their undercover agents who wanted them.

How much are they asking?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ May 21 2006,3:40)]I want one of those..... so I don't have to feel guilty about shooting a collectors gun !!!!!!
Every German/French made PPK is considered a collectors gun. They each have varying grades, but they are all more desirable than their American made counterparts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thiokol, I had never heard of that before, although it would make sense. Afterall, the same type of scenario occured post 1989 with the Styer AUG and SIG 551 rifles.

It would be of interest to know what these "Police Only" PPK's were marked like and if they had any importer markings.

The pistol in question purpotedly was purchased in Europe by an employee of the US Foreign service for his personal use. When he retired he brought the pistol back to the States with him. There are no importer markings on it.

The only place on the pistol that states it is made in Germany is on the bottom of one of the grip panels (unlike the pre-68 pistols, which have this "engraved" on the left side of the frame, or under the Walther banner). It is definitely of German (yeah, I know made in France, assembled in Germany) origin though, as it is marked Ulm/Do. and has the appropriate proof markings.

The pistol has been in my possesion for the past several years, and I'm thinking of selling it. Hence, my enquiry.

As collectors seem to place a premium (at least dealers do when they are selling them) on "less commonly" marked pistols (e.g. the Persian contracts), I'm trying to figure out a fair price (to me and any potential buyer) to ask for it.
Maybe my term of "Unique" was a little loose. Perhaps "Odd" would have been more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Looks like a very nice PPK! I'm sure at the low end you'd get $600 for sure. You may get up to $800, because of the "uniqueness" of it.

The other "police" import PPK's that I've seen, haven't had any import markings either. They usually came directly to the department and then were given to the officer. I've also heard of officers who are collectors, who used their department "letterhead" to get them imported in to them.

Too bad you are going to sell it. You may be able to find a collector who values the fact that it's post '68 and moreso that it has no import markings, that would be willing to pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Limey,

I can't remember if you're a member of the P38 forums, but you might post it for sale there.  They have PPK forums there also. There are a lot of collectors on that forum and you might get a good price for it.

try here:  http://forums.p38forum.com

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If you can hold on to it for a month..... I would be more than happy to pick it up......
and you can ask around for a fair price like P88 said on the P38 forum......
let me know please.... just as a heads up.... I am waiting on the closing of my house that is for sale in Missouri or I pick it up soonerOliver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts