Walther Forums banner

761 - 780 of 792 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,491 Posts
prdubi, call walther, give them the serial number of your gun. They should be able to tell you if you pistol has the original spring or the optional/upgrade spring. If you have the original then I bet they'll send you an upgrade spring for nuttin'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My recently purchased M2 5" has an unusually strong mag release spring. Giving the button the same push I give my other pistols doesn't quite push the button down far enough to release the magazine, something I noticed on day one. It takes a VERY deliberate push to release the magazine. Though it took a bit of getting used to, I actually like this.

In the very rare life or death case where I as an average citizen may need to reload after 18 rounds (1 in a billion chance of that?), I'm sure I will have enough adrenaline pumping to make it happen instantly. Much more concerning would be a weak mag release button that allowed me to drop the magazine disabling the weapon by accidentally hitting it...that would have had me contacting Wolff pronto.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To summarize 765 posts in this thread, now 77 pages long, the inadvertent mag drop problem has been categorized as follows:

1. Improper grip.
2. Not a problem on all pistols, only some, regardless of grip.
3. Only rears its head in "competition" not general shooting on a static range.
4. Rears its head in all shooting.
5. A defective design because either: (a) the spring is too weak; (b) the button sticks up to high; or, (c) both.
6. If it is a problem, it can be fixed by: (a) moving the button to the other side, and making no other modifications; (b) replacing the M2 with the M1; (c) obtaining a stiffer spring from Walther which may or may not be specifically designed to address this problem in the M2 in 9mm or .40, or it may or may not be the same spring they put in the M2 in .45, which is wider, thereby needing a longer spring on the mag release assembly; (d) do nothing if your pistol is of very recent manufacture as one or two have noticed the factory spring on their pistols being noticeably stiffer; (e) obtain Wolff Springs number 89893 individually, or in kit 10035, which per T.May's post #605 on page 61 earlier in this thread is identified as follows:

"Wolf spring kit # 10035 will contain Wolff Stock No. 89893 (Item #3-14) which was previously reported in the above thread to work and can be identified by the following specification:

Wire Diameter — .018”
Spring End O.D. - .120”
Spring Body O.D. - .117”
Free Length — .65"
Number of Coils - 13

This particular spring will always be included in this spring kit...actually maybe two of them are in the kit or you can actually order this spring individually in as large a quantity as you desire.
I ordered 10 of them as I am going to offer to replace the spring for free in any of my friends guns as I can't think of a good reason not to replace it compared to the alternative."

Thank you T. May for the information.

Now, a newcomer to this thread need not read the entire thing, as I did. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found that as a right hand shooter my thumb would hit the release, so I changed it to the other side and everything works fine.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
It is the mag button spring that is too weak. Pure and simple. Even Walther changed it. Everything else is hocus pocus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It is the mag button spring that is too weak. Pure and simple. Even Walther changed it. Everything else is hocus pocus.
Exactly, no question in my mind. People with older guns say the spring is weak, people with the latest guns say it's very stiff. They changed the spring, because it was too weak. Pretty obvious. Problem solved.

I did see a youtuber claiming that the PPQ is a "defective design" because he has a grip that rests his thumb on the button. That's not a defective design, it's a defective grip. As I commented on his page, he either needs to change the grip or change guns. Guns are not all the same. The way you handle various pistols can't always be the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unintentional Mag Release on PPQ22

I realize this thread was from a long time ago, but I thought it interesting that some PPQ M2's were dropping their mags, so I'll put my 2-cents' worth in.

I have a Walther PPQ22. It has the M2-style mag release button. Its spring is very light and the button is very large and protrudes outward significantly.

At the range, the mag loosened three times as I was shooting. It didn't fall out, but it failed to feed. I looked down and the mag had extended out of the grip by about 1/4".

I think the problem was due to poor grip technique.

At the time I was holding the gun with my left index finger on the front of the trigger guard with my left thumb over my right thumb. This tended to pull my right thumb down onto the mag release button.

When I changed my grip from "left thumb holding right thumb down" and also gripping the front of the trigger guard, to "parallel thumbs" with left hand fingers wrapped over right hand fingers, I seem to stay clear of the mag release button now.

I was told by a gun instructor not to wrap my finger around the front of the trigger guard because of the tendency to pull the gun down and to the left, which I was doing.

So, a question: is there a stronger spring available for the PPQ22's mag release button?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fixed it myself the cheap and easy way. Just moved the release button to the right side. Never have had a problem since. I pop it out with my trigger finger, which is actually easier for me anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now, a newcomer to this thread need not read the entire thing, as I did. :)
I started reading this thread, then skipped to the end and started reading backwards. When I came to this post I let out a sigh of relief. Thank you!

This firearm is high on my list right now. As I would be buying a new device, it appears that this is no longer an issue. That’s good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
I started reading this thread, then skipped to the end and started reading backwards. When I came to this post I let out a sigh of relief. Thank you!

This firearm is high on my list right now. As I would be buying a new device, it appears that this is no longer an issue. That’s good to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy it you will not be sorry. Walther has corrected this problem. However there are probably old PPQs out there with the problem. But it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy it you will not be sorry. Walther has corrected this problem. However there are probably old PPQs out there with the problem. But it is an easy fix.
Had settled on getting the VP9 but the price diff is not trivial. So now reconsidering whether to just get the CCW and home def firearm all in one with a PPQ sub compact or VP9SK. Decisions, decisions. Neither is a bad one. Both are good. But I need to fire them first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
Roadking2007: Deep six the VP 9. It is nowhere near as durable, reliable, and dependable as the PPQ. The PPQ is the better pistol by far. it is the only pistol to beat Glock out of a contract with the Taiwan National Police.
I had a VP 9; and I sold it. If you don't believe me, go to the Military Channel on u tube; and watch them put the PPQ and the VP 9 through the torture testing. The VP 9 flunked miserably three times. The PPQ came thru with an outstanding rating.
The PPQ is the better pistol with a better price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Roadking2007: Deep six the VP 9. It is nowhere near as durable, reliable, and dependable as the PPQ. The PPQ is the better pistol by far. it is the only pistol to beat Glock out of a contract with the Taiwan National Police.
I had a VP 9; and I sold it. If you don't believe me, go to the Military Channel on u tube; and watch them put the PPQ and the VP 9 through the torture testing. The VP 9 flunked miserably three times. The PPQ came thru with an outstanding rating.
The PPQ is the better pistol with a better price.
Ok, I just watched the first 5-7 minutes of the first torture test on the VP9. I won’t debate what happened there - it seems legit. But the applicability of those results to me are zero. It would have been just as relevant for him to have baked the gun into a cherry pie and told me how it performed. I’m never, EVER, going to have my gun in those conditions. Had he shot 5000 rounds and said it jammed, or something broke, that would be important to me. Or, if it didn’t work in the rain, that would be bad for a carry gun. But my needs are home defense and carry. And not carry in the woods. Just carry in the city and burbs. I’m not bad mouthing the guy, or the testing, but it doesn’t seem to apply to how I will be using the gun. Is there something I’m missing?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
Ok, I just watched the first 5-7 minutes of the first torture test on the VP9. I won’t debate what happened there - it seems legit. But the applicability of those results to me are zero. It would have been just as relevant for him to have baked the gun into a cherry pie and told me how it performed. I’m never, EVER, going to have my gun in those conditions. Had he shot 5000 rounds and said it jammed, or something broke, that would be important to me. Or, if it didn’t work in the rain, that would be bad for a carry gun. But my needs are home defense and carry. And not carry in the woods. Just carry in the city and burbs. I’m not bad mouthing the guy, or the testing, but it doesn’t seem to apply to how I will be using the gun. Is there something I’m missing?

Never say never. I am 77 and have seen all kinds of strange things happen and had some strange things happen to me. I want a gun that is reliable, dependable, durable, and simple and works dirty as sin. But that is me. Your money your call.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never say never. I am 77 and have seen all kinds of strange things happen and had some strange things happen to me. I want a gun that is reliable, dependable, durable, and simple and works dirty as sin. But that is me. Your money your call.
Fair enough. If I ever go bear hunting, I’ll make sure my carry weapon is not a VP9, in case one chases me through a stream!

Just having a chuckle here. Mean no harm!

761 - 780 of 792 Posts