Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy heard about my search for a Bond-esq Walther... and showed me this that one of his friends gave him years ago.. An unfinished PPK frame in what looks to be .25.. I certainly don't know much about this stuff (yet!), but figured folks here would. I told him I would let him know what I found out. :)

Any ideas?

..dane

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good luck completing it if it is indeed for a .25. That caliber is extremely rare and collectable. You won't find parts or a slide for it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck completing it if it is indeed for a .25. That caliber is extremely rare and collectable. You won't find parts or a slide for it.
Not looking to finish it... Just looking to get more information about it.. :)

Not a PPK frame. I think that's a TPH frame.
Ahhh, you may be right. It is certainly small. Sorry I forgot to include measurement info in the photo... will try to get that info and update first post...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Looks like a "lunchbox" TPH frame. Given the expense of finding parts to complete the frame (assuming the frame is fully finished) it would be cheaper to buy a whole pistol. Curiosity value only...

Nothing James Bond about that part.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It's a TPH frame with an assembled barrel, made in the 1990s in Gadsden, Alabama for Interarms. It's been serialized, and looks finished enough to be classified as a "firearm" under federal law.

My guess is that it's either a frame rejected for some reason but escaped being scrapped, or it was stolen from the factory before completion. There are other possible explanations, but those are the two most likely.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Hard to judge just from the pics...how close to done is the frame? How hard to find a .25 slide?
Moon

·
Registered
620 Posts
MGMike is dead on. As usual.
I’ve got all the parts to make it functional I could sell Dane. Or I’d give $125 for it as is

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just to update folks..

After some consideration, my buddy gave it to me today. It's had a nice run on his desk as a conversation starter for the last ten years, and now it's my turn. :)

I'm interested in attempting to finish it, but apparently finding a stainless slide is going to be the hardest part. I have no idea if it's one that "just needs finishing" or if it's one that "escaped being scrapped." I'm now the fourth owner of this piece, so far as I understand the story to go. Any information about how it "got out into the wild" is at this point I think long gone. Whether it was a junker or just an unfinished pistol, I dunno.

If it is worth it, I'd love to finish it. If it's got value I'd love to trade up for a P5 (I blame you, @DeutschlandUberAlles!) ... If it's not worth much and not worth attempting to complete if it is in fact a "dud," then I'll just keep it as a conversation starter of my own for the next ten years and see what becomes of it...

cheers,
..dane

·
Registered
620 Posts
Another option is .22 cal slides are easily bought from the eBay or gunbroker and you could swap the barrel to .22. That route is much faster than trying to find a stainless.25 slide

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another option is .22 cal slides are easily bought from the eBay or gunbroker and you could swap the barrel to .22. That route is much faster than trying to find a stainless.25 slide
Interesting idea... I'll have to camp on that for a while and think about it ... I kind of liked the idea of a .25 since folks seem to like them better (from what I've read) ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just dawned on me that we've identified this thing as a TPH, but the forum title still clearly suspects it as a PPK. How do we change that?

Just changing "PPK" to "TPH" in the title would make it much more accurate ...

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Apparently, editing now requires written permission from the SCOTUS.
Not sure what led to this decision on the Forum.
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It just dawned on me that we've identified this thing as a TPH, but the forum title still clearly suspects it as a PPK. How do we change that?

Just changing "PPK" to "TPH" in the title would make it much more accurate ...
But it's not going to change the answer.

M

·
Registered
620 Posts
but everyone is always going to get all hot and bothered about the prospect of seeing an uber rare .25 PPK

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But it's not going to change the answer.

M
but everyone is always going to get all hot and bothered about the prospect of seeing an uber rare .25 PPK
Hahaha, okay those are fair points.

Well, earlier today I sent a request to the "admin" to change the title. We'll see what happens. Not earth shattering, I know... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update;

I confirmed through a local law enforcement contact that the serial number isn't registered on any "bad" database. :whew: Hadn't thought to check that until now. :eek:

Spoke with another gunsmith today since they were local and I could speak in person.. he's got all the parts to convert to 22 and complete it, but does not have a slide in 25. I told him another 'smith said they had a 25 slide in blued, to which today's 'smith that technically the frame could be blued, but that he doesn't know anyone who blues stainless anymore.

So several options...

1) keep it as-is, as a great a conversational piece

2) convert to 22 and finish it off

3) attempt to find someone to blue it and complete it as a blued 25

4) just wait and see if a stainless 25 slide ever shows up on my doorstep

5ish) (unsure about this choice) finish it off and hope to sell it for more than I put into it and use that towards a PPK/S .22 or a P5. Not sure about how I feel about that option though. Also not sure how much it would actually sell for (no box or paperwork, slide and frame w/ different part numbers, etc)...

As always, I welcome input...

cheers,
..dane

1 - 20 of 24 Posts