Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have to say it -

I have lots of guns by different makers - HK, Glock, Sig, CZ, etc. I'm a collector.

Got a Walther P22 ~10 years ago but it got mostly ignored. I recently (last 18 months) rediscovered Walther with the PPS series and fell in love. Got several. I carry a PPS often.

I then examined other models of this high quality neglected brand, and started lusting after a P99AS. Dunno why but I prefer the mag release paddle and appearance, and the ergos. Finally traded into one and got a pile of 16 rd mags.

Everything is great, but I'm not too thrilled with the AS trigger. Seems overly complex as it tries to replicate a DA/SA trigger without a hammer. I don't know how I feel, but I guess underwhelmed is the best feeling.

I've only dry fired it. Work has been prohibitive to get to the range. Soon enough...

Talk me up on the 99AS. Why should I like it more?

Edited: I want to clarify - I'm not a trigger snob. I like most triggers, even Glocks. I like the HK USP trigger, the Sig DAK and also DA/SA, FN FNS hinged trigger, CZ triggers pre-Omega and Omega, heck even C&R guns, and of course polished 1911s.

I like the 99AS for the innovation, but when would one actually use the pre-cocked? And it's sorta dangerous to pre-cock using a trigger, no? I just don't fully understand it...

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Yes, some have referred to the P99 AS trigger as complex. It surely isn't complex, but it is innovative. Probably ahead of its time, and misunderstood.

Keep this in mind, if you carry the P99 in DA, which Walther recommends, your first pull is going to be a DA pull...MANY people want that DA pull as the first pull simply as a safety margin. Following that first DA shot, the slide cycles and the trigger is in SA (single action mode)...all remaining shots will be in SA until you empty the magazine or stop shooting and press the de-cocker button...which puts you back into DA mode.

Here ya go, read thru this link.....it'll explain the three trigger modes of operation, DA, SA and AS. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/33787-walther-p99-trigger-systems.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
The trigger is a straight ahead DA/SA trigger as has already been stated. The presence of the AS mode is really intended more for the folks that want to carry in SA. It allows one to do so relatively safely without pre-staging the trigger. I suppose the idea in the AS mode is that if you carry as such, when you draw the gun in a defensive situation, the longer trigger travel with the audible end to the first stage of pull will help to prevent an unintentional discharge when you're juiced up and everything is going at 200 mph.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, some have referred to the P99 AS trigger as complex. It surely isn't complex, but it is innovative. Probably ahead of its time, and misunderstood.

Keep this in mind, if you carry the P99 in DA, which Walther recommends, your first pull is going to be a DA pull...MANY people want that DA pull as the first pull simply as a safety margin. Following that first DA shot, the slide cycles and the trigger is in SA (single action mode)...all remaining shots will be in SA until you empty the magazine or stop shooting and press the de-cocker button...which puts you back into DA mode.

Here ya go, read thru this link.....it'll explain the three trigger modes of operation, DA, SA and AS. https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/33787-walther-p99-trigger-systems.html
I fully UNDERSTAND the trigger, I'm just not sold on it (yet - if ever). I think of it as rather than cocking a hammer to go to SA, you pull the trigger a little... Is that wise? I don't know.

From the page you linked to:

AS: Anti-Stress
Affected Models: Classic P99 / P99 AS / P99c AS
Trigger Travel: 0.55” Double Action & AS / 0.31” Single Action
Trigger Reset: 0.25”
Trigger Weight: 11 lbs. Double Action / 5 lbs. Single Action

The P99 AS is basically a hammerless Traditional Double Action pistol, which happens to be striker fired. The largest confusion in the trigger system is the AS mode itself, and with out that variable, the pistol would have a similar trigger action to a Sig Sauer or a Heckler and Koch.

The AS trigger system of the Walther P99 has three possible carry modes:

AS Mode
The AS mode is automatically engage after a round is chambered. The trigger is fully forward, as if in double action, but the striker indicator is to the rear and visible. This mode offers the safety of carrying the P99 AS in single action with a light yet long trigger pull.

DA Mode
The Double Action mode is achieved after a round is chambered and the decocking button is depressed, releasing the striker into a double action trigger pull. In this mode the trigger is fully forward and the striker is at rest and no longer visible to the rear of the slide. After the trigger is first pulled, all subsequent shots will be in single action. This mode is considered, among fellow P99 AS owners, to be the safest mode to carry the AS in.

SA Mode
The SA mode of carry for the P99 AS is Single Action. This mode can be achieved by chambering a round, which also places the trigger all the way forward and into the AS mode, then slowly pulling the trigger to the rear until you hear the SA portion of the sear engage. You’ll hear a ‘click’ and the trigger will remain in this rearward (actually middle/center) position. This mode will also automatically engage after the first trigger pull in double action mode.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Walther advises you NOT to pre-cock the trigger in the owner's manual.
While it could be a safety concern, after familiarizing yourself with the AS action, one shouldn't have any problems utilizing the pre-cock feature.
That statement is likely meant to appease Walther's lawyers.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
While it could be a safety concern, after familiarizing yourself with the AS action, one shouldn't have any problems utilizing the pre-cock feature.
That statement is likely meant to appease Walther's lawyers.
Not talking about round chambered and not decocked, but round chambered, not decocked but trigger pulled to the first click.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everything is great, but I'm not too thrilled with the AS trigger. Seems overly complex as it tries to replicate a DA/SA trigger without a hammer. I don't know how I feel, but I guess underwhelmed is the best feeling.

I've only dry fired it. Work has been prohibitive to get to the range. Soon enough...

Talk me up on the 99AS. Why should I like it more?

I know you might be just trying to get a conversation going here... fair enough....

You haven't even fired the 99. "Everything is great," yet you're underwhelmed by the AS trigger. I never really understand posts like this... it's almost like a task is being assigned to the forum members to get you, the one who asked the question, to get back to the "overwhelmed" state of mind with a P99 that YOU jumped into with apparent gusto yet you're unable, or unwilling to work with the gun in the first place. What's going on?

I honestly don't know what to tell you, and from interpreting some of the posts to your thread, I'm not alone. Right now, you seem to not like the 99's trigger, and that's okay. I have three 99's and all the triggers are perfectly fine for me.

To me, you've already made up your mind about the subject. This thread has a "trolling" quality about it that has me thinking we'll soon be up to 11 pages of talk going round and round on a subject with no definitive conclusion, for anybody.

I don't mean to be harsh; but threads like this with these kinds of questions make me feel like we're talking to a sullen teenager slumped on the couch, staring at the TV, trying to motivate him to get going with his life. Rant off.

Don

·
Registered
89 Posts

Tread carefully... you will get crucified on here for even mentioning this. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Let me simplify this for you.

Insert loaded magazine into your P99.

Cycle slide to chamber a round.

Hit decock button.

Done.

Now you have a traditional DA/SA pistol. No need to monkey around with the AS mode at all. Used as I descried it will operate like any other traditional DA/SA handgun. Just go to the range and shoot the thing in the manner I have laid out for you.

Then you will understand.

The P99AS is the most under rated pistol on the market, with one of the best triggers out there. You can trust your life to it.

I did.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, if you're offended by the question you can ignore or not answer.

It's an unusual trigger, innovative for sure.

I agree I need to shoot it. However, I can get a good idea from handling and dry firing of the principles and general feel. Pulling the trigger to go to SA is - well - odd.

Seems to me it's really just a long trigger with no resistance for the first 1/2 of the pull, then a wall and light resistance. Eh. I'd almost rather have some - even trivial - resistance. Dunno. Just not what I had hoped for when I was lusting after it.

Not the end of the world. Not meant to ruffle feathers or make folks lose sleep or get angry... nor "trolling." Good grief, can't there be discussion without such extreme views??

For folks who have them, I'm curious what they like about the AS feature, and if they use it.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Well, if you're offended by the question you can ignore or not answer.

It's an unusual trigger, innovative for sure.
It's a single action/double action trigger with a decocker. Those have been around in semi auto pistols since the Walther PP (1929). Longer yet in revolvers.

And that's what the P99 trigger his: you can carry it in DA mode, one long hard pull; in SA mode, one long light pull, wall, break. Or if you're feeling lucky, in SA mode with the long light pull already taken out and the trigger resting at the first click.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's a single action/double action trigger with a decocker. Those have been around in semi auto pistols since the Walther PP (1929). Longer yet in revolvers.
That's one way of looking at it, I suppose.

Does it offer any additional features?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts