Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience cleaning firearms in this manner?

I've been considering this purchase for a while, I may have to purchase at this low price with an additional 10% off. Unreal deal!

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-hot-tub-9l-sonic-cleaner-110-v.html

I have a 150psi 5 gal compressor, so drying parts is a non-issue. Compressed air would also work well in spreading a light lube thru items left assembled during US cleaning process.

The 10% off ends at midnight, will make decision this evening.

·
Super Moderator
3,967 Posts
Apologies for a cross-link to another forum, but I'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. This thread spells out what you need to know, I think:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=362072

Your chief takeaways should be:
  • You still need to field strip and scrub
  • You need to thoroughly rinse after ultrasonic cleaning … then dry
  • You do NOT want metal-on-metal contact (between parts, with metal baskets, etc.) for your external parts (e.g. slides, frames, etc.) since vibration against other metal objects can damage your finish

I've used ultrasonic cleaners in past jobs -- daily. I do not have one for firearms because I figure if I have to scrub and rinse, anyway, I might as well just scrub and hand-clean. Ultrasonics, IMHO, are largely for those super dirty guns/parts that need some extra oomph to clean -- and I just don't let mine get that way. Now for brass cleaning (in lieu of tumbling), I can absolutely see ultrasonics being awesome … but I still tumble my brass for cost reasons (using reptile bedding from the pet store, as it's made of ground walnut shells and is dirt cheap).

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Anyone with experience cleaning firearms in this manner?

I've been considering this purchase for a while, I may have to purchase at this low price with an additional 10% off. Unreal deal!

https://www.natchezss.com/hornady-hot-tub-9l-sonic-cleaner-110-v.html

I have a 150psi 5 gal compressor, so drying parts is a non-issue. Compressed air would also work well in spreading a light lube thru items left assembled during US cleaning process.

The 10% off ends at midnight, will make decision this evening.

OT - for some unfathomable reason Nathez will not sell to Georgia, therefore they are a crappy company. ;)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apologies for a cross-link to another forum, but I'm trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. This thread spells out what you need to know, I think:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=362072

Your chief takeaways should be:
  • You still need to field strip and scrub
  • You need to thoroughly rinse after ultrasonic cleaning … then dry
  • You do NOT want metal-on-metal contact (between parts, with metal baskets, etc.) for your external parts (e.g. slides, frames, etc.) since vibration against other metal objects can damage your finish
I've used ultrasonic cleaners in past jobs -- daily. I do not have one for firearms because I figure if I have to scrub and rinse, anyway, I might as well just scrub and hand-clean. Ultrasonics, IMHO, are largely for those super dirty guns/parts that need some extra oomph to clean -- and I just don't let mine get that way. Now for brass cleaning (in lieu of tumbling), I can absolutely see ultrasonics being awesome … but I still tumble my brass for cost reasons (using reptile bedding from the pet store, as it's made of ground walnut shells and is dirt cheap).

The firearm finish damage is the biggest issue for me. This is why I'm looking at the 9L unit. Plan on putting each component in it's own small plastic basket , with large items (like DEagle slide/frame) suspended with provided rubber straps.

I'm going thru the link to help me reach a final decision.

Thanks Surrealone.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't realize that deal includes 500 Hornady bullets also.

·
Premium Member
8,674 Posts
I use an ultra sonic cleaner when my weapons "go swimming" in the ocean or canals. I use compressed air for the finishing dry and everything gets Ballistol.

It is labor intensive so if you are thinking of ultrasonic as a time saver you likely won't be pleased. It works for my purposes which are removing salt crystals and mud debris from my weapons and for those purposes I'm entirely satisfied.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My sudden interest in ultrasonic cleaning is primarily driven by a single feature on one of my firearms that see regular range sessions.

The gas port on the DEagle is around 6 inches long, around 1mm in diameter, and takes three 90 deg turns (this port runs from the front of the chamber to the slide mounted piston).

My current way of cleaning this port?

I use an eye-dropper to put several drops of Hoppe's 9 Syn Blend Ultimate Bore Cleaner into the piston end of the port, then let it sit for 5 minutes so gravity carries it to the chamber, then I use a blast of 150 psi air to force any carbon/copper/schmeg out of the port. I repeat this process 4 times minimum.

This is the single most time consuming part of my gun cleaning after range sessions.

30 mins to clean one feature on one firearm is no fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,390 Posts
30 mins to clean one feature on one firearm is no fun.

Yeah, but pulling the trigger 'one' time and watching the dust and crap start falling from the ceiling and then, as you turn around checking your 6, with that BIG grin on your face, you also notice the two shooters on either side of you are hastily packing up their stuff and making a break for the door......well.....I think right about then, you're thinking, 'Yeah, its worth it'. :D

On the other hand, the reason they were leaving so quickly could have been related to the triple beef burrito you had for breakfast. :eek:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No doubt. The Mk XIX 50AE is about the most fun to be had in a handgun platform.

I would be willing to trade it for a belt fed Mk XIX 40mm grenade launcher is anyone is interested, will include cash or another firearm or two (Mk XIX for Mk XIX)!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_19_grenade_launcher

I could REALLY shake the range with one of those!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts