Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Complete newbie here, always thought US cleaners were really expensive pieces of equipment used only used for restorations or in lgs. Finding the prices aren't bad and can be used at home. I have been going to the range with more regularity and starting to complete at the local level plus getting my son involved has me cleaning frequently.

So my question is; are they effective and safe?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Yea, they work fine. Unfortunately you can’t clean much with them unless you get a large one. I don’t use one anymore but have.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When used *PROPERLY" they are very effective. Use the right cleaning agents, don't run too long, make sure everything is dry, and then relube/relube/relube. I've used them for jewelry

Since I'm just a "hobbyist", I prefer detail stripping when needed and cleaning parts by hand.

Here's a recent vid on ultrasonic cleaners 101

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I just do not see need for them. There is clean, and there is compulsively clean. Nothing wrong with compulsive cleanliness, but it is a want not a need. During ten years in the Corps we dragged M1, M14, M16, nd M1911 firearms through muck, mire, sand, volcanic rock pumice, rotten vegetation, and stuff we could not identify. We just cleaned our weapons with issued cleaning kits, cotton swabs, torn up tee shirts, some solvent and the ac coat of lubriplate. It ten year in peace and combat I never had a weapon malfunction, not even an infamous early M16. I guess that makes me a me a meet needs guy rather than a fulfill wants guy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use an ultrasonic cleaner for AR15 parts

Complete newbie here, always thought US cleaners were really expensive pieces of equipment used only used for restorations or in lgs. Finding the prices aren't bad and can be used at home. I have been going to the range with more regularity and starting to complete at the local level plus getting my son involved has me cleaning frequently.

So my question is; are they effective and safe?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
I guess I could use the ultrasonic cleaner for my Walters pistol parts too. just never tried to do that yet. The one I got came from harbor freight in Evansville, IN. I use it to clean the bolt carrier group of my AR`15.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They work great. Are they necessary? No.

One advantage of them is being able to dunk multiple guns in a large cleaner, walk away and then just come back to minimize effort. This is why you see them at an LGS when you are paying people $20 an hour.

Downside.....

Make sure the guns are dry!!! Use compressed air if you can.

·
Registered
322 Posts
For OCD or those who are clean freaks, I guess you could, then again, why?

I have a German made striker fired 9mm with 27K+ rounds down the pipe, works perfectly with just normal patches, brushes and CLP type lube, works like the day I unboxed it.

My PPQ only has about 8K rounds, works perfectly as well, and it's a first gen build in 2011 (IIRC).

Each to their own, if makes you feel better detail strip, ultrasonic, whatever, J just don't see the need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts