Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was calling around for a holster for my P99. I talked to one of my favorite gun stores and I was told the P99 is no longer being manufactured. Is this true? I LOVE my P99!

·
Registered
127 Posts
That must be the same gun shop that said Colt was out of business. :D (He still hasn't been able to explain to me the two new models they have out :p )

The rumor mill runs rampant at some of these places. I'll bet he had plenty of (insert name of competing brand) in stock to sell you though?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been told by multiple gun counter idiots that walther went bankrupt and is out of business, or SW decided to close down the walther division. I just roll my eyes and walk away from the counter and try not to talk to them again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My FFL told me that the wholesale price of the P99 was going up, and that they're not selling a ton of them, so they may eventually drop the model.

I suppose that could have been turned into "they're no longer making it" by someone only casually paying attention.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
At the end of 2005 - They did discontinue the A/S model until the Spring of 2006. That dropped the prices, as many dealers were selling the discontinued models cheap - hence, I paid $515 for my P99c at the time.

They are back importing them again - although there was a shortage of P99c's a month or two back.

BUt, I think many dealers are going back to this time peopled, whether on purpose or not, and using that as their reference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could also be because S&W no longer makes the SW99. Believe it or not, a lot of times when I mention a WALTHER P99 at my local stores, they seem to think I am speaking of the SW99 even though I said Walther.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you learn anything from this, it should be that most "facts" in the gun community have nothing to back them up. Even though many people will nit picks over caliber, they refrence wrong, outdated tests from 20-30 years before balistics gel.

Had a guy at a gun store talk about how a 9mm would wound someone but a 40cal would knock them down. I guess if I shot someone in the leg with a 9mm(missing main arteries) and hit them in the head with the that would work.

These people don't know guns, don't know wound profiles, and neglect to say two things I look for in a gun sales person.

1. Pick the weapon that fits you and what your doing with it.

2. Choose the caliber you can reliably control and shoot lots of.

I have found 3 guys that say that, and I listen a bit to them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Could also be because S&W no longer makes the SW99. Believe it or not, a lot of times when I mention a WALTHER P99 at my local stores, they seem to think I am speaking of the SW99 even though I said Walther.
AMEN Brother! I drove about 1.5hrs one way on two seperate occasions because I was calling shops to see if they had a P99 in stock. Both times they told me they had a P99 and I drive up there only to find that it was a SW99. Pissed me off to no end! I told both shops this and now I will make every effort to never spend money or refer anyone to the second store since I was very specific over the phone that I didn't want a SW99 and that is how they lured me to drive up there.

I understand there are literally hundreds of different handgun models with all different variations, but I would hope that someone is not too dumb to see that one is made by S&W and the other Walther.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Obviously a reading comprehesion problem or a hearing problem.

I trust very few people behind a gun counter, and I used to work that side. I have heard crap from my former employees talking to customers and would cut them off in mid-sentence and ask them where they got that information from and correct them on the spot. In front of the customer.

After a couple of times of this happening, they'ed keep their mouth shut and be humble enough to say, "I don't know, but I'll find out"

First rule of salesmanship is honesty. Some guys behind a gun counter I'd just like to choke with both hands.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This would be my guess as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was just looking at P99s at Sportsman's Warehouse and the guy there was trying to tell me they were S&W because they had S&W import markings on them. He then proceeded to explain the differences between them as if it was a SW99 when in fact I was holding a Walther P99.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
If you learn anything from this, it should be that most "facts" in the gun community have nothing to back them up. Even though many people will nit picks over caliber, they refrence wrong, outdated tests from 20-30 years before balistics gel.

Had a guy at a gun store talk about how a 9mm would wound someone but a 40cal would knock them down.
Is he a member of this forum?:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is true that price is going up. I got the show model because it was $60 cheaper then the rest of the P99's. But I haven't heard anything about them going out of business.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What has been said about ignoring the guy behind the counter is pretty sound advice. Just like the guy selling you a car is not a mechanic, people selling guns usually are not aware of all the features, availability, etc. I say do your window shopping online, when you go to buy the gun, buy from a store that employs people you like and trust.
wage

1 - 17 of 17 Posts