Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group pic of my 4 hard chromed guns - As U can tell, it is an addiction :)

My HK USPc is my latest one. Got it back last week :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why?

Other than good looks, what advantages does hard chrome have? Does it add weight (and affect felt recoil)? Durability? Feel? How much does it cost? Who does it? Anyone besides Earl? Anyone you recommend? How long does it take? All of these questions are about P99 AS (2006 edition). Thanks.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It costs about $110-$120. I would never pay the price to do it thru earl. Plus, it looks like he makes the surface shiney instead of matte.

No weight or recoil difference. It is a thin plating - but the most durable surface U can put on a gun.

It makes the gun almost scratch proof. Even after years of holster carry - the gun will look about new all the time - unless ya just drag it across the cement or something, on purpose :p

So, that is the point.

I also love the 2 tone look. A p99 isn't a P99 unless it's got a silver colored slide :p :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was seriously thinking of painting the polymer part of my P99 a desert sand color but after seeing your 2 tone P99....I am changing my mind. The chrome slide is SWEET.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whom did you have do this? Was it local?
Tripp Research did it - he is in Alpine Texas. If you goodle "Tripp Research" U will find him.

I have mixed feelings about him - Out of 5 guns, 4 came out ok, but he messed up 1 1911 about 1.5 years ago. Now, I'd only send him a slide - never an entire gun.

There are also several other hard chrome places out there - all around the same price.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It looks good but I'm rather partial to the business like look of an all black gun. So far the tennifer has stood up remarkably well to holster wear although it's limited to IDPA matches and the occasional carry. Once the black starts looking ratty I'll think about this chroming thing again.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks good but I'm rather partial to the business like look of an all black gun. So far the tennifer has stood up remarkably well to holster wear although it's limited to IDPA matches and the occasional carry. Once the black starts looking ratty I'll think about this chroming thing again.
See, I had a brand new holster when I got my P99c, and I got some marks on it from the holster in just 2 weeks. So, that's why I chromed it. SInce then, I gotta have the 2 tone look on a P99 - U can thank Underworld for that :p

When I bought the fullsize P99 - I sent the slide off after the first range trip to make sure the gun worked :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Shipwreck is the reason I chromed P99. I NP3d a glock after that and the hard chrome does seem tougher. I think I might like the NP3 look better but it started showing holster wear quickly using the serpa holster. However, The glock sees a lot more holster use than the P99. I may NP3 the next Walther, not sure yet. Not sure if I will want to refinish the PPS. Anybody else have experience with NP3?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was tempted to try NP3 myself - but I knew that the hard chrome was tougher - so I gave in and just hard chromed that USpc.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was terrified of my HKP7M8 rusting down here in sweaty Virginia so I sent it off for NP3 treatment. I think it is great and love the soft gray color, let alone the resistance to corrosion and general slickness of the pistol after treatment. Here is the one that got the treatment and its twin, now feeling pretty naked with just that rather thin-skinned HK finish to protect it:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
yea just bragg about those beauties...... mine are silver from wear :eek:

·
Registered
435 Posts
yea just bragg about those beauties...... mine are silver from wear :eek:
Any pics of the P99 with the holster wear? I've got a new Galco Concealable holster I've just started to break in and want to see what I'm in for! I have heard the P99's finish doesn't hold up very well. It's got me paranoid now!

After 50 or so draws to break in another Concealable I watched the finish on a ORM Colt Commander wear off each time I drew it. I bought it used so the finish on the slide wasn't immaculate to begin with but it still bothered me some. I know that all carry pistols will show the dreaded holster wear eventually but I'd like that to happen after a few years, not after a few dozen draws!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Doesn't this detract from the collectors value of the Weapon. If you never plan on selling it, I guess your good -- otherwise IMHO IO would not do it..

With all of that said. They LOOK NICE and seem to save on the wear:D

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn't this detract from the collectors value of the Weapon. If you never plan on selling it, I guess your good -- otherwise IMHO IO would not do it..

With all of that said. They LOOK NICE and seem to save on the wear:D
Sorry - but most of the mass produced firearms now-a-days probably won't have much collectors value. And, I do not think it detracts from it at all.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts