Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have encountered two problems (one for each caliber).

First, in my 9mm, one of the rounds didn't go all the way into the chamber. It was 4th or 5th round in the mag, and the slide wouldn't go all the way but rather got "stuck" 1/8-1/16'' from the front position. All I had to do was to give the slide some help, I pushed it forward all the way. After that, the gun finished the mag and I reloaded at least 4 more mags - no more problem. It was a first faliure of any kind in this model (I disregard a few mishaps with aftermarket mags). I was using factory new Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ. My log shows 1300 shots so far.

Second, in my brand new .40. I just love this gun in .40, awesome. However, a wierd thing happening, the slide goes forward as soon as a mag clicks home. It wasn't like that for the first 10 or so mags, but now I have it with every time I reload. Only if I insert mags "gently", the slide remains in the back position. As soon as I "push" or "slam", the gun chambers the first round "automatically" without the slide stop lever being engaged by my thumb. What gives? Oh, by the way, it never happens with an empty mag, only with a loaded one. I can slam an empty mag as hard as I wish, the slide stays at the back. Now, I can assure you when I say I push ar slam a mag, it is very moderate effort, I am not crazy to really slam it in. I do it with the same level of force as for my 9mm (it never happens in the 9mm).

Thank you in advance!
Val

·
Registered
37 Posts
On the 9mm case sticking it could be 2 things-one if the gun was new, it just could have been a case of the gun needing to breaking in. But I think you had a round that was just a bit out of spec in diameter. If it didn't happen again, I would not be concerned.

As for the .40 slide going into battery when you reload a mag, it sounds as though a round in the mag is tripping the slide release. Check and see if you have bur on the slide release. I really don't have a hard answer for that one, I have never had that happen on a gun before...

·
Registered
11 Posts
This has always happened with my .40 (700 rounds so far), I thought it was a feature but after reading your post and checking the owner's manual it sounds like it shouldn't happen. I just tried it out now on my cold and lubbed pistol and it's not happening, I wonder if it happens when it heats up or if it needs the firing recoil to put it into whatever wierd state it gets into. I'm going to inspect it to see what's going on next time I'm at the range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This has actually happened to me one time with my .40 When I 'moderately' slammed a mag in, it automatically chambered the first round. I tried to repeat this again with the next mag and haven't been able to yet. I know with some glocks and HK's this is expected behavior, and with the glocks, it seems like the best way to chamber a round as the slide release is so hard to push. (can any glock owners verify this?) I don't see it as much of a problem.

J

·
Registered
29 Posts
The slide forward thing happens with my 40 usually. I'm not smacking it in - just a moderate amound of inserting pressure. It has never happened with my nine. I believe that the 40 is a 2003 and the 9 is a 2002.

I've seen the same thing on HK's as well - 9's and 40's. Doesn't happen with my SIG. Never happens with my GP100

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can understand wanting consistency, give Walther a call and see what they have to say about it. If you do and find anything out as to whether this is a 'feature' or a bug please post it so we'll know as well.

Thanks

J

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Walther, HK, SIG-Sauer, S&W...I've had that happen on all of them. If you shove a mag hard enough into the well, a lot of guns will do this.

It's nothing to be concered about.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did it, gave Walther a call. It shouldn't happen, period. I was advised to send the gun in for adjustments (he said something about "slide correction"). Boy, am I glad I spent $19.99 for a lifetime warranty from my gun dealer. I don't even have to bother shipping the weapon myself.

By the way, I do see it as a problem. I would like to have a total control over chambering my gun with a live round. Maybe it is a bad habit, but I point the gun differently while changing mags/chambering. It is never pointed at any living being, but after inserting a new mag over a booth counter, I point it toward my target and then depress the level. I would feel extremely uncomfortable if my weapon were to discharge during reloading.

Thank you guys!
Val

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for posting that Doc, now I know that it's not a 'feature'!! If mine continues to do this (it's only happened once or twice) I'll give Walther a call and ship it out to them. Let us know how it all turns out and what the turnaround time ends up being. enquiring minds......

Thanks

J

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from the range and confirm what was said above; it's all about how hard you smack the magazine in. If you really give it a good slap it readies a round. Doesn't matter if it's the 10th round or not. I kinda like the option...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, but it would be nice if you had a full control over it. For your gun you have to really smack it. All I have to do is simply push a new mag in (no slamming, hitting etc.). It is very inconsistent, that's a problem. One of us had it a few times only, you have to "smack", for my gun it is enough to "push". It sounds as a flaw to me. This gun is too good to have one.
Anyway, I can see why you like it. Saves time when every second may be crucial.

Val

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed as well that slapping in a full mag really hard would trip the release, but since I don't think slamming the mag home real hard is good anyway, I don't do it. Only happens when I smack real hard though...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the thing, you see. In my gun, you don't have to slam for the slide to get released.
Just took it to my dealer to be sent for adjustments. I feel all alone now. Still have my 9mm though. Now I understand why you should have more than one.

Val

·
Registered
411 Posts
My P99 9mm has always had the "automatic" slide release.
I've never worried about it, my Glock 17, P99QA, CZ-75, and Sig P228 have all done it.
No problem, no worries.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] DoctorV said: I would feel extremely uncomfortable if my weapon were to discharge during reloading.
Then keep your grubby nose-pickers out of the trigger guard and off the trigger when you reload.  

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have never had a Glock or a Sig to that. And have a 19, 23, and a 17, a P228, P229, P225......

·
Registered
382 Posts
I hear that is a intentional feature on HK usps............so i am ssuming P99s are supposed to do it. it only works on mine if you really slap it in there. It does seem like it would damage the gun over time, i try not to do it much........but it is, for me, a consistent feature

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, here is my report: the gun got back and they fixed whatever should be fixed. The slide stop works just fine now. Had another problem, though. I think this one was caused by the ammo. I had 3 FTF with 180 gr UMC Remington. Rounds failed to chamber (got stuck below the ramp). I bought another 50 of Magtech at the range just to check it out - no problems. I want to think it was the ammo and not the gun (I had no FTFs with 150 rounds before I sent the gun for service, Winchester and American Eagle).
Anyone knows about this problem with .40 UMC?

Thanks in advance,
Val

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a box of 180g UMC a couple of months ago and found two rounds that were totally f'd up.  The rim on the case was bent down on both of them.  I'm in the middle of moving (just bought my first house
) , so my camera is packed up.  But, I'll take a picture of one of the rounds and post it back up here next week sometime.  

Did any of the 3 rounds have any obvious defects??

--Ben

1 - 20 of 20 Posts