Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Manurhin PPK/S at the gun show yesterday for $370. It's in excellent condition. I did a little write-up on it here.

Here are the markings:

Slide - left side:
MANURHIN - LICENSE WALTHER
Model PPK/S Cal. .380 ACP/9mm Kurz
Made in France
Slide - right side:
MANURHIN INTERNATIONAL
ALEXANDRIA VIRGINIA
(Crown proof mark) 2669XX
Barrel - right side:
(Crown proof mark) ST. ETIENNE
Frame - right side:
2669XXS

Here is the photo album: https://imgur.com/a/n0KIB

There are two things that I have not been able to figure out yet in spite of a few hours of research:

1. When approximately was it made?

Obviously after 1968, but other than that, I have no clue. I found many charts online but they all pertained to Walther made pistols or 7.65mm pistols or whatever - but not a single chart that dealt with Manurhin PPK/S in 9mm Kurz. Any clues?

2. Why does the slide on the right show MANURHIN INTERNATIONAL ALEXANDRIA VIRGINIA?

From what I read, European guns were imported by Interarms in Alexandria, Virginia, until they were actually manufactured in the U.S. by Interarms. So far, all references I found online showed Interarms Alexandria Virginia on the slide as to be expected - but not a single one showed Manurhin International like my pistol has.

Any insight you could provide would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
Your weapon was produced close to the end of the Manurhin PPK/S production. I'm thinking in 84 or 85.
For a while Manurhin imported the PPK/S directly to the US through Manurhin International via InterArms.

This was at the end of the licensing agreement with Walther.....others will chime in with a few more details.

Here is mine:

BTW mine is a great shooter and is currently my wife's EDC. She calls it her "French Kiss".

Oh yes...welcome to the Forums, you sure are starting off with a great example of a quality Walther (even if it was made in Haut-Rhin).

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Nice purchase at a great price - congrats on an excellent choice!

P.s., Olsoul's is a hard chrome finish that Manurhin called Durgarde. No stainless PP-series guns were made in France or Germany. The Interarms/Ranger guns are typically in SS, with blued being uncommon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
olsoul: Thanks a lot for the answers to my age and import questions. That makes sense.

Yours looks nice but I have to say, the stainless/chrome look has never been my thing. I have seen many S&W/Interarms PPKs for sale over time, but I just don't dig that look. For me it has to be blued.

Another reason I never got a newer one is because of the extended beavertail. For me, that hump looks completely unnatural and ruins the look.

This was the perfect find for what I was looking for and my budget. Couldn't resist.

GeoNole 94: Yeah, that's what I thought, too. I've never seen a blued Interarms one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts