Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have two more questions:

Is dry firing can damage a gun? Is it true or is it a myth? I am talking about p99 and its firing system.

My second questions is a failure of the slide to lock in a back position after a last round has been fired. It happened 3 times within 250 rounds fired. All ammo was factory new remington or winchester 115 gr FMJ 9mm.

Thank you in advance

take care
Val

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DoctorV @ Jan. 16 2003,11:14)]1. Is dry firing can damage a gun? Is it true or is it a myth? I am talking about p99 and its firing system.

2. My second questions is a failure of the slide to lock in a back position after a last round has been fired.
Val -

1. May I suggest that you do a SEARCH using "dry fire" as your search criteria...you will find a lot of info.

2. That situation is usually caused by a magazine problem; sometimes a weak magazine spring and sometimes a bad follower.  I had this problem with my brand new P99 in .40 Auto with one of the two supplied magazines.  As a temporary fix, I stretched the spring about 3/4" and the problem went away.  Since then, I've replaced that spring with a new one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use snap caps for dry firing my P99 9mm.
(for all of my centerfire handguns also)

I've never experienced failure of the slide to lock back.
I broke in the pistol with 400 rnds of Geco 124gr FMJ, and now have >1000rnds through it, using Geco 124gr, Winchester 115gr, Carroll remanufactured LRN 124gr, and a box of Hydra Shok 124gr JHP (to make sure they functioned reliably).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts