Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I waited to test this before I posted, but here you have it; I turned four new 15 rd Walther mags into 16 rounders. You can too if you're so inclined. ;)

I trimmed the front and rear skirts off the followers making sure to leave NO burrs. I then cut the bottom most coil (not the top coil, never the top coil) from the magazine spring (just ONE coil) and bent inward the clipped end of the wire to duplicate the original. I then loaded 16 rounds into all the mags and let them sit for about a week or week and a half. I then rapid fired the mags empty, a quick as I could pull the trigger, and they functioned perfectly.

So there you have it. :cool: No FTF or malfunctions of any kind.

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I explained that pretty crystal clear ;) but I guess I could take a picture tonight of a couple of disassembled mags out in the shop.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I am interested in this, I have never had my 15 rd mags apart yet, so I am not sure about how much to trim from the follower. What about the witness holes, how do they line up after you did this?

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you suppose the same would apply for the .40 mags?
I suppose I could be the guinea pig and butcher one tonight. We shall see............... The only thing that would worry me is that Walther never had a 13 round one! :rolleyes:

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK.......here you have it, the before and after. On the left is the newly modified, ex-15 rd, Walther magazine. I simply copied from the original Walther 16 round mag. On the right is a new from the wrapper, all oily, stock 15 rd mag. The spring on the left looks shorter than one coil more than the new spring but that is just the set it took from being loaded full for weeks. That will happen to ALL coil/compression springs. Count the coils and you'll see it's just one less.

And I know I mentioned it once but I'll say it again; You MUST remove the one coil from the bottom, not the top!!! The smaller coils up top are designed to compress down INTO the lower, larger coils. If you remove from the top this most likely will not even work.

:cool:

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in this, I have never had my 15 rd mags apart yet, so I am not sure about how much to trim from the follower. What about the witness holes, how do they line up after you did this?
You trim the follower just like in the picture. You leave the "original" base of it alone, where the spring "nestles" in the follower, just cutting off the stabilizing "tails".

The witness holes remain the same as you're cutting the tails of the follower, not the top or actual bottom, right? ;)

Now the only thing is there is no witness hole for the 16th round but.........so what. I suppose you could drill one but I personally think it would be a waste of my time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Question? Since the coils fit inside of each other, is it necessary to clip a coil? Did you try to see it it would work only by trimming the tails?

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question? Since the coils fit inside of each other, is it necessary to clip a coil? Did you try to see it it would work only by trimming the tails?
As a matter of fact I tried that first. ;)

The reason? The newer 15 round mag springs aren't EXACTLY like the old 16 rd springs. The older springs have even more of the smaller coils and less of the larger. That allows for more compression, more enveloping so to speak. The newer springs are actually SHORTER to begin with so I didn't like the idea of trimming. BUT, making the follower EXACTLY like the old 16 rd mags didn't do the trick alone. It took removing one LOWER coil to do it.

Good thinking though........... :D

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This may sound like a dumb question, but why did Walther go this route?
Were the old 16 round mags unreliable?
Good question. I can't think of any other reason. Hell, if they could do it they'd make them 17 rounders, right?

Anybody know the REAL DEAL on the changeover? I don't.

·
Patron
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A sharp whack with the inserting palm takes care of any mag loading problems.

As to the .40 mags? I took one apart last night and the follower is already the correct shape, sans skirts, so the only possible mod would be to cut coils. The spring as far as I'm concerned is short enough right now and I think I will leave it alone. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts