Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just unstalled new trijicon night sights on my P99 c.the problem is after a few draws the front sight always becomes loose.the gun is heavly used and i cant keep breaking it down to tighten the screw.im sure there is some kind of tread hold i can put on the screw to keep it on.does anyone have any ideas?also will the original screw from my stock sights fit the night sights?i would like to use that,but i lost them.any idea what the lenght and size of it is.thnx.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Most people use Loctite.... but be careful what you get there is different ones... and some won't come appart unless you heat them up........
The missing screw.... just place a call to S&W customer service, they can and will hook you up with it....

·
Registered
821 Posts
You want "blue" loctite. I've been using that on mine, nary a problem. Also, you can remove the little sight screw with a tool, no need to heat!

Strange, my tube of the stuff comes in a red tube, but the product itself is blue. Just read the packaging...

-stunks

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
FWIW
the Loctite's should be #'ed on the front.....
and also should have some descrtiption of what it does when you buy it...
loctite does have a webpage too I think

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the stuff i bought is green.ill see how it works.needs to be heated to get off,but thats fine dont plan on doing that for 10 yrs:D

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
If you haven't already used it

DON'T use it

even in 10 years this can hurt the properties of the metal when you have to heat it up to get the screw out and will affect the slide hardnes

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
While I would go with the blue stuff I don't think that the amount of heat needed to loosen a screw will be anywhere near sufficient to hurt the temper of the metal slide...all you need do is apply a little heat to the screw head itself and that should suffice to loosen the threads...if I am wrong I stand corrected.

But I think the green stuff is an epoxy and not a thread locker...there is a difference and some of the epoxy is heat resistant.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Just put it in the dishwasher, it comes right off
:eek:

Well I guess I had a mental picture of a small torch
can't blame me .... I am a welder at heart ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would start with the blue loctite and see if it holds. I had to go with the red on my Glocks since they would loosen up every couple weeks with the blue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i used the blue stuff,but it says must be heated to come off,no biggie,my brother is a metal fabricator.he can figure something out.also...wont the continous firing of the pistol loosen the thread locker from the heat firing causes?thnx for the replys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts