Walther Forums banner

Trigger won't engage!?

10K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  trose49 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased the Walther PPQ 9mm. I removed the slide, per instructions, as basically how all other polymer weapons are, did quick cleaning and reassembled. When I went to dry fire test, nothing happened. The firing pin mechanism was cocked and ready, yet when I pulled the trigger, there was nothing. Tried to remove the slide, but was unable since the firing mechanism was pressing against the sear, extremely frustrating.

Long story short, and long hours later, I was able to remove the firing pin mechanism while the slide was still on the frame (lock the slide rearward, pop off the butt plate, remove the firing pin and spring) which let me remove the slide. Once off, under further inspection, I realized the disconnector is chipped and missing a small metal piece on which the trigger rod catches to release the striker. Its the most bizarre thing. I HAVE NOT fired this weapon yet, it was purchased new about 3 days ago.

Smith and Wesson will cover under warranty, but I'd much rather find the part and replace it myself since its a fairly easy fix. The hard part is finding the replacement part, as all PPQ parts seem to be difficult to locate. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears....

Here is a video which demonstrates my problem a little more visually.

Thanks for any help. I love this weapon and would really like to fire it sometime lol.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am very sorry you have had this problem with a brand new Walther PPQ. This part failing is really strange, but mechanical parts do fail. Must have been a material failure. Could your seller exchange this handgun for you? I know you feel it's just a simple item for you to fix and I am sure you are able to do the work yourself. But you paid for a new Walther and they S&W should warranty this repair for you. I know they S&W have not proved to fix peoples firearms quickly but I would work with them. Also ask for a few free Mags for having to deal with it. I wish you good luck please let us know your progress.

#4 ·
Yeah I've looked at Earl's service repair, they don't seem to have any parts for the PPQ other than magazines/accessory type stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm still waiting on S&W to send an email back with shipping info. Hopefully soon.

Does anyone know, by any possibility, if P99 parts will work or fit in the PPQ? There are a few places I've found the Sear Assembly Housing online for the P99, which looks almost identical, and I'd though of extracting the part I need if its the same.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm almost certain that the same part off of a P99 AS sear housing would work on your PPQ. They seem to use identical sear housings.

If you do get a P99 sear housing, I'd be interested if you notice any differences between it, and the one that came in the PPQ.

Just out of curiousity, where are you finding spare P99 AS sear housings?

#6 ·
Yeah thats what I figured too. I can't seem to find any detailed schematics on both the PPQ and P99 sear housings, other than photos on forums and such, they appear the same, other than slight casing differences. Since I would just extract the part I need, the differences in the actual housing unit wouldn't matter...so I think

Heres what I've found

Sear Housing Assembly, .40 S&W / .357 Sig, Factory Original, New

#7 ·
This P99 x-ray style picture was taken off another thread in this forum:

The inner workings do seem very similar, if not identical.

The title in your video in your previous post indicates that you have a 9mm. The ejector, which is molded into the sear housing, is different between the 9mm and .40cal sear housings. You may want to make sure you order the 9mm sear housing rather than the .40 sear housing from the link in your last post. I didn't see a 9mm sear housing in the linked website.

#10 ·
Definitely take it back. If that doesn't work, call Earl. I've read somewhere that he doesn't have all the parts he stocks on the website, and if he doesn't have it, he may be able to help you find one. Besides this, I contacted Walther Germany about the trigger grit in my PPQ (Which has gotten, and is continuing to get better). They advised me to send it to Earl's if I need any repair work done, didn't even mention S&W.

#11 ·
I contacted Walther Germany about the trigger grit in my PPQ (Which has gotten, and is continuing to get better). They advised me to send it to Earl's if I need any repair work done, didn't even mention S&W.
That's interesting ... and a first. You have to wonder if we can read something/anything into those tea leaves as it applies to the S&W/Walther relationship.

#12 ·
That's interesting ... and a first. You have to wonder if we can read something/anything into those tea leaves as it applies to the S&W/Walther relationship.
I'd imagine that it has more to do with the 9-12 week estimated turnaround that S&W is giving to people looking to get their Walther pistols serviced with them. They probably have their hands full at the moment.

#14 ·
S&W & Walther are sharing technology. S&W gets money for every Walther pistol they sell. If they don't sell them, they lose money bringing them into the U.S.

Walther sales today are steadier and supported better through S&W than they ever were

#19 ·
Yeah, unfortunately I purchased the weapon at Academy Sports, which has a "once you walk out the door, its yours" return policy. I also called Earl's repair, very nice guy, but they do not have the rear firing mechanism in stock. They might be able to order it, but since its a "smith" gun, he said the parts do vary compared to the "authentic".

Anyways, I did receive my shipping label from S&W, so I guess its just a matter of patience from here on out..... :(

Does anyone have any experience with how long repairs take with them?

#22 ·
Just wanted to update everyone. I did ship it off to S&W and just received it back in the mail about 9 days later. Which ended up being perfect since I was out of town for a week, so the wait wasn't as bad.

They replaced exactly what I thought they would....As stated in their letter, "The following characteristics have been examined and adjusted to our standards: Repaired: Replace Sear Block"

Although I could have done this myself, I'm glad I shipped it off. Mainly because I didn't want to pay for the part if they'd do it for free. Either way, I feel fortunate to have it returned relatively quick compared to other people's horror stories in dealing with smith and wesson. I hope no one else has to deal with this.

Now I can finally go shoot the thing! I hope this was all worth it ;)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.