Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Interarms PPK/S in .380 that I'm running into some problems with. It was purchased new many years ago, shot a little, then it's mostly been on my night stand since then (the usual combination of time/range access/other priorities that lead one astray). Now that I once again have access to a firing range, I'm working on getting back into practice.

The first couple of trips to the range, I had problems feeding rounds. A new pair of magazines seems to have fixed that. On the next trip I got what appeared to be a couple of light primer strikes, out of ~100 rounds fired that day. Then, on the most recent trip, the safety lever flipped itself on after a shot, and on several other shots, the trigger failed to reset after firing. I am now more than a little concerned about the "trigger pull:go bang" ratio of the weapon.

I'm going to take it into a gunsmith before I shoot it again, but I'm curious what could be causing the problem, and if dry-firing the gun to work on my trigger control may have damaged the mechanism. I used snap caps while doing so, but I'm a little concerned since the issues with the trigger reset did not start until the range trip after the dry firing sessions. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Re trigger return: Have you put Pachmayr or other aftermarket grips on it?
If so, take 'em off, and chances are that trigger function will be restored.

The light primer strikes and safety lever problems may be related. I would not rule out a broken firing pin. And the extractor, believe it or not, also can influence operation of the safety because the other end of its spring powers the safety detent. Completely strip the slide and clean out the firing pin, extractor and safety channels and minutely inspect all the parts for damage.

M

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has the factory grips as far as I can tell. Two checkered plastic panels held on by a screw.

I'm a little leery of disassembling the slide, but I'm willing to give it a shot, provided someone can point me to decent set of instructions. The ones I've found online so far seem to skip what to do with the firing pin and cartridge indicator once the safety lever is removed, and also what to do to put things back together:

http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyWaltherPP.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Advice noted and followed. Even more so after reading about the fun mini-game of "find the flying extractor spring" that apparently comes with every PPK slide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Light primer hits immediately make me think it would be a good idea to replace the hammer spring.
Failure to reset the trigger makes me think it would be a good idea to replace the hammer-block spring.
I had both of those problems about 800rds back and fixed both of them with some after-market springs. Having a gunsmith do the work is not a bad idea.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts