Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make the trigger reset to the SingleAction position when you cock the pistol? Instead of it staying in the DoubleAction, long pull, position. Other than pulling it back with your finger.

It goes from the SA position to the DA position when decocked. Why not have it go to the SA position when cocked?

Thanks,
chris

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Chriss,
when you cock the P99 or P99/AS the trigger does go into the SA mode....but it is a long SA....
this is called the Anti Stress trigger or short "AS"
there is no way to change that... but you can cock it and pull the trigger to the SA position and it will stay there if you desire to do so (try it on a empty chamber or with snap cps first).... I would not advise to carry in that mode though......
*edit
I think the long SA trigger is to prevent accidental discharges (I know they are not accidental but you guys get the point)
for people who desire to carry a cocked gun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
position

I understand the "AS" trigger concept. And I believe the DA mode, as you mentioned, is the best way to carry this pistol

But I thought it would be nice if the trigger repositioned itself to reflect the status of the striker. After firing a round, the trigger is in SA position, decock the striker and the trigger moves forward to the DA position. Now re-cock by sliding the slide back 1/4" or so and the trigger doesn't go back to the SA position. You have that long pull even though you already cocked the striker.

I envisioned there maybe being some way to have the trigger reset to the SA position with the cocked striker. Perhaps by tying the trigger mechanism to the striker with a light spring? I don't know.

That is the only thing I would change about this pistol. I just don't know how and haven't looked into it that much. I hoped some would have some trick.

Thanks,
chris

·
Registered
358 Posts
My buddy picked up my walther three days ago. Due to some finger fucking the night before, and his novice knowledge of the weapon he did something bad. While trying to clear the weapon he Accidentially Discharged into the wall. I believe his lack of knowledge and fumble fingers(yes he knows weapons former marine) set the triger back in SA and as he went to dropthe magazine improperly he came in contact with the tirgger instead of the magazine release.

Needless to say the extra pull is only once, and honestly its probably a good thing because when you feel light pull like that for a distance you know your weapon isn't in DA and you should check yourself before you have a dumbass moment.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Inferno,
I know of 2 accidental discharges by people I know. One was from cleaning a gun at 2 am when he should have been asleep. He nodded off and shot part of his thumb off. The other was to disassemble a glock that was "unloaded". Anyways, that bullet went into the garage floor. Both have had long time experience with firearms, but these experiences reinforce some basic gun rules. 1. Every firearms is always loaded. This would have prevented the 2nd accident. 2. Don't handle guns when sleepy(ing). This is just more common sense and would have saved half a thumb.

I am guessing your buddy has a newer longer magazine release?

Anyways, the point I was going to make, is that if you have a gun that will lock back, and you are dropping the clip, pull the slide back before dropping the clip to confirm the gun is unloaded. This procedure is just a little safer to my understanding.

Hope these experiences help somone.
Wage out

·
Registered
335 Posts
Needless to say the extra pull is only once, and honestly its probably a good thing because when you feel light pull like that for a distance you know your weapon isn't in DA and you should check yourself before you have a dumbass moment.

IMO the safest way FOR MY PEACE OF MIND to carry a cc firearm is with a DA first round. Revolvers do that automatically for you, unless you are so dumb you cock the hammer, but in pistols you have to actually put a little thought into it.

IMO a DA first round offers you some protection from ad/nd's, it assures you the pistol will not fire unless you are at least 8.8lbs sure you really want it to, and all follow up rounds are SA anyway...

In a crisis, where my old farts heart is pumping away, adrenlin is sky high, and my natural "flee or fight" instinct has already told me "flight" is not an option, then I want a relatively heavy DA first round, which just might, might, keep me from accidently shooting someone by nature of the light trigger pull of sa when it might otherwise be avoided.

I know some folks think just pulling a weapon will not defuse a potential confrontation, but prior to pulling the trigger, it gives the bg's something to ponder.... Some percentage of those guys might indeed reflect that they made a mistake in confronting someone who "surprisingly" wound up being armed. If the mere sight of your weapon doesn't do any good, and reasoning does no good you can always go 8.8lb+

All of my self defense discussion is based around potential confrontations at self defense range. For me that's probably in the 5-7 yard (or closer) range. I think most folks with any experience with firearms can do a pretty good job of simply pulling the firearm, point it at center mass of threat, and pull the trigger/striker until the party is over. A single first DA round won't affect your "grouping" much anyway.

I love my P99's but there's no way I would cc in SA or AS modes.. Too scary. Next to a nice relatively heavy first da round I think keeping your index finger OFF the trigger until you are really gonna need it there is about as good as it gets, safetywise, when you're talking a loaded weapon.

Dissenting opinions welcomed, and cheerfully ignored.. :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
One was from cleaning a gun at 2 am when he should have been asleep. He nodded off and shot part of his thumb off.
This board is very civil and I don't wish to start a flame war but this story sounds suspect to me...if I were to guess and I hope I am wrong, sounds to me like the guy may have had one too many adult beverages and got sleepy/sloppy...I know one guy who was dry firing in the house, pointing at his TV...had a few brews and shot his TV...I don't shoot with this fellow anymore....:eek:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Jake, no flame war intended. I agree, this does look suspect without a little more info. His story was he fell asleep while cleaning, and shot his thumb. I was not there. But I do know that he was a Mormon young mens leader, and did not drink. He was however lienent with his fire arms and allowed teen age boys to borrow .22's to shoot jack rabbits. Take it as it is. I think the rule would stilll apply. Don't handle firearms if you are not alert enough to do so.
Wageout

PS, thanks for the comment Jake, it let me know I needed to add more to the post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts