Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know where or if i can get a trigger kit (pack) for my P99 QA. i want a WAY shorter trigger reset and pressure. maybe some other P99 with shorter reset can be used.

maybe some other way i can do this. any help plz?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It is not just the triggerpack you need.... you also need a "matching" striker
When you call Waltheramerica CS they caution on striker replacements just for this reason... and I was told when trying to order a replacement striker for my P99/AS to just send in the pistol so they can ensure that everything is propper.... and I think this is even more important on the P99/QA

The trigger pull distance between my full size and compact QAs are noticeably different. The compact has a longer pull. Below is the explanation from Germany :

According to the dimensions which vary from production lot to production lot the trigger travel changes also. During assembly of the pistols we take care of this by adjusting the striker travel which corresponds to trigger travel directly. However this target range for the striker travel still is a "range", hence guns can be on the minimum side or on the maximum side.
Walther adjusts the striker travel by exchanging the striker assembly. For this reason the strikers are marked with a number on the left side. The numbers go from 1 to 5. The higher the number the larger the striker travel and the trigger travel will be.
Please take note that you can not use this to change trigger pull or adjust trigger travel. The striker travel is required to stay within the tolerances put down by Walther. If striker travel is not within specs, then the timing of striker safety, trigger stop, etc. is no longer good and the gun will fail to fire or will not be safe any more.

·
Registered
536 Posts
According to the dimensions which vary from production lot to production lot the trigger travel changes also.

One wonders why dimensions change with each lot?

Weird.

thorn

·
Registered
333 Posts
One wonders why dimensions change with each lot?

Weird.

thorn
Let me try to answer that question with a simple explanation:

It really boils down to what is called ?Tolerance stacking? As you may know when building parts, it?s almost impossible to mass produce those parts to an ?exact? dimension??.hence the design engineers allow for Tolerances either + or - .

For instance a parts length might be spec. at .023 inches +/- .003 ? That simply means the part can be no longer than .026 inches or any shorter than .020 or any measurement in between.

Now when building a complex machine, where many of these parts will co-mingle and rely on each other to function ??? that?s when tolerance stacking can occur. Some parts will be bigger than the exact measurement. or + and others may be smaller than the exact measurement [ but within the specified tolerances ]. It is RARE .but sometimes these tolerances will cancel themselves to zero ??? but more often than not ,the machine will show ?tolerance stacking? in the POSITIVE or NEGATIVE .

So when dealing with critical parts that must move together design engineers have to be concerned about this ?stacking? and design parts that can control and minimize those effects. In the Walther pistol ??.. the different sized Striker assemblies are used to account for the variance that occurs when dimension stacking of the tolerances presents itself.

This does not mean that Walther is sloppy in their manufacturer process ?.it is simply a result of ?mass production? where dies wear down as they punch out parts etc. etc. AND drill bits get duller as they work and therefore cut holes a bit differently.

Hope this helps answer the question???

JF.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does Glock have different striker assemblies for the same reason?

I've never heard this brought up for them (or anyone else), despite the fact that they set the bar for modern mass production. The above tolerance stacking explanation makes sense, but if other manufacturers don't similarly have multiple assemblies to counter the tolerance stacking, what do they do to counter it?

Which specific tolerances are stacking up in the Walther to force the different trigger feels? If I test drove a QA and loved it, then bought one only to have a completely differeent trigger feel I'd be pissed. Come to think of it, the P99 I rented and fell in love with had the original AS split trigger, and when I bought one it didn't. That worked out okay for me, but I'm seeing QA owners talk about their trigger pulls as long and light, short and heavy, quick reset, slow reset...I mean WTH is going on there?

If a QA owner is unhappy with thier trigger, can they send it to S&W to have the striker and other parts (I'd love to know which other parts play a key role in the tolerance stack) custom fitted for the pull they want?

Oh my GOD. Performance Center P99....I got wood.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I am not a smith nor a expert. I posted the above for refference and as a warning .....
I would think that the triggerbar, sear and striker are the main factors here in the tolereance stacking

and I sure would think that S&W could replace the needed parts to make it the shortest reset possible.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QA trigger?

I don't like it
I can live with it, but I will never love it.
It's not a good DA trigger
It's not a "glock trigger"
and It's not a good S A trigger

apart from that, the P99 is really good.
And it's indestructible! I can say it!

But I am too embarrassed to explain it)!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Its probably not much consolation but the AS model has a remarkably short reset length if you ever get the urge to do a trade in thing. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm

first off, thanks uncut!!

guys lets get down to business, how does it really affect the principle life saving properties of a gun if the trigger reset is endless or if its easier to push a boulder than push through the trigger pressure?

i haven't really put my QA to the test in that way, and i have only really done scenario shooting. it really doesn't make a difference, until you shoot from a medium range distance. the kickback from the QA is like a mule compared to glock, and the fact that it resets so further back does influence a bit to recover sights.

will it ever be counter-deffensive or just a need of getting used to it?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dont know if this answers your question...

after 100 rnds, i really noticed the recoil of the P99 being more than my Glock.

after 600 rnds, i dont remember there was a difference.

In 6 weeks, i've put more rounds through my Walther than i did in 4 months with my Glock. I need to start buying ammo in bulk...I love this gun.

thorn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts