Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb here, so be nice.  First of all I have a P99 QA in 40S&W and I love it.  I bought the gun about 6 months ago and have shot several hundred rounds through it (I know big deal), but enough to get the trigger smoothed out.  The only thing I don't like is the stout trigger pull(as many of you have already found out for yourselves).

So, I ordered three new springs from wolff.  A 4, 5.5 and a 6lb set of springs for a Glock.  After shooting a couple of clips(12rd) each with the 4 and 5.5lb springs, here's what I have found.  The 5.5lb spring made a dimple in the primer similar to the factory spring, while the 4lb spring was slightly shallower.  BTW, I was shooting Winchester USA 165gr.

As for trigger pull however, the 4lb spring is very smooth and crisp trigger, but lacks that snap at the end of the pull like the 5.5 and factory springs.  More like a thud really.

I plan on shooting several other loads this weekend to verify that the 4lb trigger is strong enough.  I have some 135gr Federal Hydra-Shok and some 155gr Remington Express that I'm going to use for this.  I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'd like to hear your final report on the 4lb spring. Sounds like it might work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ April 19 2005,2:42)]I hope you don't plan on carrying that QA with a 4Lb trigger? That's just asking for trouble. Unless you plan to carry decocked but that doesn't seem like such a hot idea either.
yeah is not safe this way

4lbs is nothing

becarefull

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't usually carry the gun on me, usually in my truck or nightstand. Always loaded, never cocked though. I know there are all kinds of theories on this, but lets not start that debate.

This post was mainly intended toward range use and weather the gun would fire reliably with the 4lb spring. That's all.

Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the weather around here lately sucks, but I did manage
to shoot a box of 180gr Golden Sabre with no problems. Also, I shot a box of 165gr Winchester USA with no problems. Thats all there was time for before the rain set in.
So, for around $15us from Wolff with shipping, try it for yourself. It only takes about a minute to change the springs out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was really looking for a lighter trigger for my QA so I gave the 5.5 lb Glock spring a try yesterday. I put 200 rounds through it and had 2 that the striker didn't hit hard enough to fire. I was using reloads for reference. Overall the trigger was improved but still not perfect IMO. For me the risk of not having a round fire is too great for the marginal trigger improvement so I've switched back to the stock spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts