Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First would like to thank all that contribute to this site! I have learned very much...this is not the biggest forum out there, but it sure is one of the best. Very knowledgable people and can't remember one person getting reamed out for asking a stupid question...even my stupid questions! Which brings me to my next stupid question...

Can I do my own "trigger Job"? As much as I would like to be without my gun for a couple weeks and pay someone $65. to do it for me, it would be nice to be able to do at least something to help with the pull. Just got done putting on the lighter striker spring as suggested on this forum so I am not a complete novice, but I do not want to screw it up either. Experts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally i felt it better to have Earl handle it...he is a walther armourer. granted i only live a couple towns over from him and got mine back after a few hours.

Adept

·
Registered
4 Posts
nope, i got the trigger job, and new sights, was out of there for just over $200, mostly cost of the sights.

Adept

i know that there are a number of people who have had issue with Earl, but personally i have found no problem with him or his work.

hope that this answers your question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry, i was incorrect on the price of the sights...was much less. trigger job $65 <or $85, i forget>, sights installed $50. it's late my brain is not working properly.

Adept

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's a long story but since you asked...

If you remember I recently purchased the Earls night sights and was unhappy with their fit and wasn't too thrilled with the sight picture- Earl was kind enough to accept a return.  In talking with Earl he informed me of his lightened trigger (action job.)   He told me through polishing he would be able to reduce the trigger by 3 lbs. in both DA and SA. for $85.00.  We discussed how some people reduced trigger pull by cutting springs and other less reliable means.  He told be he would never cut springs and that was the last we talked about springs (perfect opportunity to mention trigger return spring.)

Since he was nice enough to return my sights and I had a credit for $125.00 I opted to go with the lightened trigger.  As stated in the above post I was pretty confident since he is a Walther armourer.  I also asked him to check out the trigger bar on my P99 as it was loose and the two tabs next to the return spring were actually rubbing on the spring itself.  It didn't seem right.  I shipped the gun next day air to Earl.  

When he received the gun he called me with a status on the condition, etc.  He told me the trigger job was complete and that the floppy trigger bar which rubs on the spring was normal, after all its a combat gun, not a race gun.  I asked him if he would replace the trigger bar anyway (I had a gut feeling it was not right, and it was only $45.00 for a trigger assy.)  He told me he could but would have to charge me $40.00 because he would have to disassemble the gun again.  I was fine with that.  He said he would ship the old one back with the gun.

Upon receiving my gun back I dry fired and I did feel a lighter trigger.  I field stripped it to check out the handy work.  Upon close inspection I noticed he changed the trigger return spring, it's silver.
Then I looked at the trigger bar.  It was my original trigger bar- floppy and all, rubbing on the return spring.  He did send me a new trigger bar in a nicely sealed package. He just never bothered to install it, yet he still managed to charged me the labor for the install $40.00.

I was pissed.  I detailed stripped the gun, removed the fire control assy.  No polishing on anything.  Same firing control assy.  I then realized my $85.00 trigger job is a $1.00 trigger return spring.  Getting more pissed.  I looked at how to replace the trigger bar assy.  I would need to remove the roll pin which holds the locking block in so the trigger can come out the top.  Hint, do not try to remove that roll pin.  It is really hard to remove.  I ended up removing it anyway, scratching the frame in the process.  I completely ruined the roll pin and would need to order another.  I reassembled the gun with the new trigger assy, sans roll pin for locking block (this can be installed later.)  Completely fixed the trigger, no flopp, no rubbing, and no side-to-side movement...perfect.  The old trigger bar was obviously messed up some how.  I ordered the new roll pin and drifted it in.  It goes in as easy as it comes out- not very.  

So, my trigger is the way it should be, smooth, not floppy, no rubbing.  It's a tad bit lighter.  I have a nice gouge on my frame from removing locking block roll pin.  Had to pay for new roll pin from S&W.  I paid for a trigger job which ended up being a simple trigger return spring swap (original spring was not returned with gun.)  Paid for a trigger bar assy.  Paid for labor to install trigger bar assy which never was installed.  I don’t think he even disassembled the gun to begin with.

$125.00 credit
-----------------
$85.00 trigger job (return spring, and yes I checked every surface for polishing, NONE)
$45.00 trigger bar assy
$40.00 labor for install (never done)
$6.20   Roll pin ($1.20 roll pin plus $5.00 minimum shipping charged, thanks S&W)  roll pin arrived via USPS in a .49 cent envelope

$176.00 trigger job with me doing most the work.  Not including shipping to and from.

I'm a bit pissed.  I will NEVER buy anything from him again, PERIOD.

Edit: I'm still to heated to even call him.  I'm just going to eat the cost so I don't have to deal with him ever again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Edit: I'm still to heated to even call him. I'm just going to eat the cost so I don't have to deal with him ever again.
Trying to give Earl the benefit of doubt, I think you should call him...what if he has someone that works for him and you both are getting ripped off? Maybe he polishes and then puts a new finish on it or something. You have obvious proof, I would confront him. It is one thing being overpriced, still another ripping people off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would actually like to just forget about it.  

If I honestly thought it would make a difference I would call and let him know how I feel, politely.  It's really just not worth the confrontation.  Nothing good will come out of it.

I just wonder how many others have been taken.  It really is sad.

Oh well... live, learn and move on I guess. (I still love my P99, thats comforting)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like typical Earls Repair to me.
In my two attempted dealings with him, he was rude, condescending, and way overpriced.
If he was the only source of Walther parts/service, i'd buy Sigs or CZs instead.
----
btw: the real secret to a excellent P99 trigger, is 500 rounds of ammo, and some Rem-Oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts