Walther Forums banner

101 - 105 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I am really curious about Metal Injection Molding (MIM). I will look in the university library and see what find. I have seen plenty of investment castings, and I really don't think that's how most of the P22 parts are made. If my estimates are close, I think Walther only spends about $9.22 to make each P22 pistol. My guess is that the spend about $3.50 to make their 3.4" barrel.

Glocks only cost about $150 to make, and they almost never break.

Marshall
There, fixed for you. ;) We've discussed this quite a bit over the years....powdered alloy mixture ( there are many and they are in everything) packed into a mold, fired, it shrinks about 10% IIRC and you can get above 99% solid metal. I think those circles are all injection ports. MIM'd isn't necessarily bad but there can sure be some bad engineering design, some improper alloy mixtures and what do I know about it????? :p I'm no metallurgist...I'm a brickologist. M1911

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm not having this issue but what are some thoughts regarding if your pistol does not have consistent trigger pull weights. What could cause that....4 lb one time, 6 lb the next for example. Sear not seating fully, wear,??????? has anyone ever read of this being an issue? If so, what caused it and what was the solution? M1911

·
Registered
899 Posts
Maybe the slide vibrates unevenly during shooting, due to an ammo issue (powder charge not quality-controlled), or a next-bullet-chambering issue in which the shake and rattle is just so as to seat the trigger bars differently or something in that area...

101 - 105 of 105 Posts