Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the AS trigger on my P99's. The DA/SA is what I have always shot so I am comfortable with it. I may have to a QA compact, though, unless I can find a AS which apparently aren't being made anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the AS because I prefer a traditional double action pistol. If I wanted glock-style DAO, I would probably buy a glock.

Fenris Wolf,

I *THINK* they still make the P99c AS, but S&W don't import it. I think you can still get it through Earl's Repair service.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I agree with Tabor, If I want a Glock action I'll buy a Glock. I do own a Steyr

Similar but better. The AS trigger sets Walther apart from all other current production striker fired weapons

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that the DA/SA p99 is superb. While other guns are very fine indeed, IMHO most are just improved versions of the 1911. Only Glock and the P99 are truly unique and groundbreaking as far as their technology is concerned...

I bought an early p99 with the traditional configuration and became quite familiar with it. Since I use mine for CCW and USPSA I also bought a new AS model as a back up. The last thing that I want if I am placed in a stressful condition is to have to think about different trigger pulls or decocker system. I endeavor to stick with that with which I am familiar. I also find the DA/SA mode to be handy when shooting competition because I can start it in condition 1 with no problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a P99c AS and recently traded it for a fullsize P99 QA because I just couldn't get comfortable with the short grip.  As far as the trigger goes, I prefer the single action part of the AS for target and fun shooting, but for self-defense I think the heavier, but more consistent, pull of the QA trigger is safer in the shaky hands of anyone under stress and in fear of their life.  I've thought about this a lot and I don't think any amount of range practice could accurately simulate a real self-defense situation when it comes to nerves.  It no doubt helps as far as training the brain to react in a disciplined manner since 'we do what we practice', but that trigger finger is still gonna be a little twitchy for a 4 lb. or less trigger pull.  It amazes me that the double-action revolvers that Smith and Taurus are putting out now can be fired in single-action with a trigger pull of about 2 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I actually shot my P99QA and a Glock 19 side by side, then I switched hands and shot them side by side again. In a tactical situation, I couldn't tell the difference in trigger pull and barley could on recoil.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that no matter what trigger configuration you have, if you are going to shoot competition or have the piece for defensive reasons, find a pistol, grip, trigger style that you are comfortable and STICK with it.

I've shot Cowboy Action Shooting for almost 20 yrs. I started with a brace of .45 Colt SAA's and then bought a pair of Colt Cowboy's to back them up. Trouble was that the triggers on one pair were not the same as on the other. So I had to stick with one or the other, not both/and.

I know of a few horror stories were individuals had very close calls because during a time of stress, their motor reflexes froze up not just because of stress but rather due to the fact that they had mixed and mismatched shooting styles with different pistol configurations.

For most people this may never pose a problem. But it you ever think you are going to face the "heat" of real life situations or competition shooting, I think it would be best to find one gun and one style, IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jake, I didn't mean to suggest that one should use an AS for target shooting and a QA for self-defense. I only meant if all you do is target shoot you might like the AS trigger better; but, if your P99 is going to be for self-defense I think the QA trigger is a bit safer, and you should of course use that same gun for practice and target. -Rick

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rickoshay,
I didn't take any offense to what you said and since I don't have a QA I really appreciate your comments. I know for me, I found what I like. Perhaps if I tried a QA I may like it better, but then I would either have to trade off the two I now have or buy two more! I think I would be better off using what I already own.

This is a great forum and I am sure there are other P99 owners out there. I wish we could drum up some more questions for other responses. This is a great learning tool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rickoshay @ July 07 2005,10:50)]As far as the trigger goes, I prefer the single action part of the AS for target and fun shooting, but for self-defense I think the heavier, but more consistent, pull of the QA trigger is safer in the shaky hands of anyone under stress and in fear of their life.  
Rick -

That lower trigger pull (actually, 5.6 lbs on the AS) will only happen on the second shot....the first (DA) shot will be 9 lbs. I'm not sure how that squares with your assertion that the QA is "safer" at 6.5 lbs (with a shorter trigger travel). The AS also has a much longer trigger pull than the QA (not quite 3 times as long for the DA shot, about twice as long for SA). That leaves a little more "margin for error" than the QA.

I guess my assumption is that the first shot is really going to be the "tough" one...the one you'll agonize over making. Once I've made the decision to fire, I don't think I'll notice the pound difference between a QA and an AS on the subsequent shots.

Just my humble opinion (notice that I own an AS, though!)

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jim, I see what you're saying about the first shot on the AS.  I guess I'm thinking of subsequent shots as well.  My AS had a single-action trigger pull of about 3 lbs which I thought was a bit light for a defensive situation as it was actually lighter than my Colt 1911.  I guess it's something each of us has to consider for themselves, but to me the QA's heavier pull is less likely to get nervously discharged.  Keep in mind I'm not necessarily talking about just firing at an assailant, but also scenarios like holding an assailant at bay or until LE gets there.  Most people inexperienced in this will be shaking like a leaf in a hurricane; couple that with adrenaline, fear, crying, and other emotional surprises and a heavier trigger pull doesn't hurt.  For me, I will continue to practice practice practice with my QA and pray I never need to really use it.

Thanks for the comments. This forum is fantastic. -Rick

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading these posts it makes me want to go out and try some different P99 triggers. Where I live, a rather large city of about 1million here in Middle America, I have only run across four P99's. And I bought two of them. All are the AS models. As per my previous posts, a firearms instructor of mine who served 20+yrs in the Army CID and was trained by the Israelis, strongly advocates that no matter what type of gun or trigger, get used to that one and stick with it. Familiarity with the arm is one of the best ways to keep from having an AD.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ July 08 2005,04:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rickoshay @ July 07 2005,10:50)]As far as the trigger goes, I prefer the single action part of the AS for target and fun shooting, but for self-defense I think the heavier, but more consistent, pull of the QA trigger is safer in the shaky hands of anyone under stress and in fear of their life.  
Rick -

That lower trigger pull (actually, 5.6 lbs on the AS) will only happen on the second shot....the first (DA) shot will be 9 lbs. I'm not sure how that squares with your assertion that the QA is "safer" at 6.5 lbs (with a shorter trigger travel). The AS also has a much longer trigger pull than the QA (not quite 3 times as long for the DA shot, about twice as long for SA). That leaves a little more "margin for error" than the QA.

I guess my assumption is that the first shot is really going to be the "tough" one...the one you'll agonize over making. Once I've made the decision to fire, I don't think I'll notice the pound difference between a QA and an AS on the subsequent shots.

Just my humble opinion (notice that I own an AS, though!)

Jim
Xactly...that is the whole Anti-stress concept in a nutshell

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think Jake hit the nail on the head when it comes to my choice of the QA trigger...as I've said in the past, I've always been a revolver man, and the QA is almost identical in trigger feel to my Ruger Speed Six.

One trigger style for all my handguns, dig it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think AS is better then QA because is more softer the trigger. For self-defense the AS is good to not only for range practice.

i guess everyone has to get used to one trigger in a self defense situation.

btw i love this forum

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I prefer the QA. I found that it was the more accurate one for me, even better than the SA on the AS P99.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts