Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thru all 6 pages of the Q5 trigger options. Has anyone done an actually installed comparison between the Overwatch and the Walther aftermarket triggers in the Q5SF? Imaoldfart says the only changes that Walther made was to the very front of the trigger bar and a different design trigger shoe and safety blade. Basically they copied Apex to a point or Apex worked with Walther.

So, other than a couple of included springs, the Overwatch trigger is similar.

Is there any reason to spend $199.00 for one vs. $145.00 for the other?? (provided Earle has the Walther trigger in stock?)

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
Here's my take of some of this. Lanzer was the first to do some R&D on a lighter trigger return spring. I followed up with some R&D on a lighter FPB spring. Those two springs lightened and smoothed out the trigger pull.

Wasn't long before Sprinco came out with a lighter TRS and FPB spring.

Following that, Walther came out with a lighter TRS and FPB spring.

All the thanks go to Lanzer.....he was the first.....the others copied.

Lanzer was also the first to figure out how to drill and tap the sear housing to accept a tiny set screw to allow for adjusting the forward position of the single action lever. This adjustment allows you to decrease the overlap or contact surfaces between the single action lever and the single action sear. The less overlap, the less 'creep'.

Wasn't long until Walther came out with the very same modification in the Q5 Match. I believe they probably sold a few before they realized that some people that don't have a clue what they're doing might adjust the creep to a point where you the contact patch is about 1 rch....this is NOT good. So, they promptly went back to installing the old standard/stock sear housing assembly.

However they do offer this adjustment with the expert trigger, but the trigger can only be installed by an authorized installation expert, as there is a specific setup procedure to go thru to ensure proper and safe adjustment.

As far as the three triggers....Apex was first to do this, followed by Overwatch and then Walther. The later too copied the trigger bar tab mod that Apex did all the R&D on. I can't verify this, but I'm sure Apex and Overwatch purchase stock trigger bars from Walther. Then they re-profile the front tab on the trigger bar. Overwatch takes it a step farther and applies a coating to the trigger bar. All other mods are contained in the trigger shoe. All three provide a redesigned trigger shoe, but they all do the same thing. The differences between the three should be very minor.

I have an Apex and also use the Lanzer/Ima light spring package. I have no complaints.

I will say that I think the el slick-o coating Overwatch uses will probably result in a little smoother trigger pull. But if you've properly tuned your stock trigger bar, the application of a slick coating is probably money you don't need to spend.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The $149 dynamic trigger uses the same weight trigger spring as stock. But the Overwatch $199 trigger offers different spring weights if that's worth it to you.

Also, my $149 dynamic trigger from Walther came with a spare sear unit in case that factors into your decision. IMO, I prefer the design of the Walther trigger/shoe.

Reactions: Grecco

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The $149 dynamic trigger uses the same weight trigger spring as stock. But the Overwatch $199 trigger offers different spring weights if that's worth it to you.

Also, my $149 dynamic trigger from Walther came with a spare sear unit in case that factors into your decision. IMO, I prefer the design of the Walther trigger/shoe.
Thanks, but I already have the Sprinco springs. I guess I'm going to call Earl and see if he has any of the Walther triggers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called Earl's. Triggers are expected at the end of the month and he says that he has about 75 backorders already so get the order in.

·
Premium Member
13,754 Posts
And the sear housing is not part of the dynamic trigger package. Just the trigger bar and shoe. Yep, my order has been in for a while. :) I don't think springs are included either, but that's okay as I've got plenty already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of the biggest differences between the Apex and Overwatch triggers that may Actually have an impact on your shooting is the length of pull. The reach to get your finger on the Overwatch trigger is noticeably shorter than the Apex, so if you have smaller hands, it's probably a better option (and it may allow you to use a larger backstrap if you want more grip contact without worrying about trigger reach as much).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the biggest differences between the Apex and Overwatch triggers that may Actually have an impact on your shooting is the length of pull. The reach to get your finger on the Overwatch trigger is noticeably shorter than the Apex, so if you have smaller hands, it's probably a better option (and it may allow you to use a larger backstrap if you want more grip contact without worrying about trigger reach as much).
Interesting. But the Apex is not available yet for the SF correct?

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is also the Walther Expert trigger, that has three sizes of trigger shoes for setting length of pull. It also seems to remove the trigger safety, making the firearm not totally drop safe. I'm not sure if this trigger is offered in the US, I think it might not be because of liability considerations, but it's availible here in Europe. It is also very very expensive, which together with the removed trigger safety has kept me from trying it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts