Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Steyr M9 and an S9. IF you haven't handled one yet, do yourself a favor and try it. They are dirt cheap right now (paid the same for BOTH the S9 and M9 that I did for my 2004 P99). FANTASTIC quality, as high as Walther's.

The Steyrs have those awesome Trapezoidal sights which after you get used to them have such a natural pointability. Much quicker than the standard 3 dot sights we've had for a century now.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket Steyr-style Trap sights available for the P99?

I can't tell you how much I'm impressed with both the guns
and the sights. P99's still my favorite, but you can't eat steak every day! A P99 with Trap sights would be like choice cut every day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Waltherboy .... I know the specs of S9, but I'd like to know the size comparison of S9 and P99, can you briefly describe it? Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Waltherboy .... I know the specs of S9, but I'd like to know the size comparison of S9 and P99, can you briefly describe it? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Airfix,

The M9 is almost exactly the same size as the P99. The S9 is the same size at the P99 compact except slightly taller. I do like it a little taller though as the grip and handling of the S9 are really compacrable to both the P99 and M9. If I had to give up one, either the M9 or S9, it would be the M9, as I really prefer the S9's handling.

As a P99 guy, it takes a little getting used to the Steyrs because the grip angle is steeper, like a Luger. But once used to it, it feels great.

I wanted to get a P99 compact to compliment my other one, but at $299 from CDNN in Texas, you just can't beat the S9. It is almost criminally cheap. And Steyr just discontinued the S9 and S40 (really, really bad move on their part), because they said the guns are so close in size it doesn't make sense to make both.

On GlockTalk in the Steyr forum, there was a poster than mentioned how there is this bond between P99 and M9/S9 philosophies, it seems there is a lot in common.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Waltherboy,

Thank you for the description and sharing your opinion.

Since end of last year CDNN has S9 for $300, the price is really temptiing. With the sunset, hopefully the original mags can be imported. I do like the steep angle grip.

I'm waiting for the P99c QA version to hit the store, likely I'll get it to go with my QA. Do you find the slide of S9 is thicker than the P99c?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Airfix,

Yes, the Steyr slide is heavier than the P99c slide. The difference is probably a few ounces. Overall the S9 is heavier by a few ounces, you can definitely feel it in the recoil. The P99c does have more of a kick to it than the S9 and I can get better follow up shots with the S9. The advantage of the P99c is noticeable lighter weight, the S9, less recoil, more manageable, and quicker target aquisition due to the more severe grip angle & trap sights. Also the S9 has a lower bore axis due to the lower profile slide, this makes also less muzzle flip on the S9.

The QA trigger is very nice though on the P99c. Its a tough call between them. Each has its merits. My recommendation is to buy each variation of both

Actually, its like trying to pick favorites between your children, tough thing to do, and something you don't really want to do anyway.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Waltherboy,

Thanks for the info. It will be great to own both P99c and S9, something I could look forward to.

I should've asked my question clearly, I wonder if the P99c slide is thicker than S9 in terms of CCW. I only handled the M9 long ago but not the S9. I'm a little disappointed that the slide of P99c is wider than the standard old P99 version.

Also, which grip is smaller in terms of girth? It seems that the S9 grip length is slightly longer than P99c, am I right? Too bad that I never have the chance to handle the S9.

IMO, no offense, both model share a common feature: both trigger guards contour are not-that-good-looking aesthetically. But then, it's just me ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts