Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am on a learning path regarding the P99.
I understood that the P99Q has a transponder in the grip. I am very curious to learn what kind of information is stored on this transponder and how the information is retrieved.
Is the P99Q the only pistol with a transponder or are these also applied in different Walther models.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
That is really hard to answer for people outside the Netherlands.
The US market PPQ does have markings on it, underneath the changeable backstraps, referring to transponders, but there aren't actually any built in.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Typically transponders (chips) are used solely for inventory control by large agency type users, such as the Dutch police, or military units of various countries.

They are read by a scanner at very short range, and can't be seen by satellites operated by the NKVD, Stasi, CIA, MI6, Smerch, U.N.C.L.E, Thrush, UN, Mars Congressional Republic Navy, The Klingon Empire, or, The Illuminati.

:D
Sorry, got a bit carried away, but this question has come up before on other forums by paranoid folks that think it's a way for government agencies to track down owners from afar... The first part of my reply covers it.
They contain basically serial or inventory numbers used by the operating agency.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Such transponders literally not capable of doing that, even if they were present. All they can contain is very basic information like model and serial number, and they are passive. Any further information would have to be stored elsewhere. Think of the chips in a pet. They can be read with special devices, but information comes from the database on the computer/network.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What about the Galactic Empire?
I'd sure as hell hate for Vader to show up, force choke the piss out of me, and take my guns!
Well, if the Galactic empire does show up I'm not sure our guns will help that much. Then again, most stormtroopers are terrible shots and often just fall like flies!
Especially referring to about 200 of them trying to shoot a few escaping targets running to the Millenium Falcon across 50 yards of open area in the Death star hangar bay! You know a lot of the stormtroopers were saying, " This script sucks, they're making us look like fools!":p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts