Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I may get some biased answers here
but I was wondering your opinions on trading a Springfield XD Sub .40S&W for a P99c .40S&W? Has anyone shot both that can comment? I am leaning towards the AS trigger so I can carry one in the chamber decocked, and leaning towards .40S&W as I already have an H&K USP Compact and about 1,000 rounds of .40S&W range ammo in my safe. Is there much difference in recoil between the 9mm and .40S&W on the P99c? Would it be worth it to add another caliber to my ammo stash by going with 9mm? If the recoil is about the same, it may not be worth it, but if there is a significant difference in a compact frame, then maybe I'll switch. Comments are welcome!

·
Registered
821 Posts
You shouldn't make your decision based on the XD's fully cocked operating system. It sounds scary, but is completely safe.

However, I think I'd pick the P99 because its a bit thinner than the XDsc (which I own) if you're going to carry it.

Not sure about the recoil between the two, though.

Other topics pertaining to your decision have been thoroughly discussed on this board, and I won't go into it (like which is better the AS style or the QA-like XD trigger).

Best of luck, they are both fantastic firearms.

-stunks

P.S. the P99 has a better finish (really a metal treatment, tenifer)

·
Registered
232 Posts
They're both excelent guns. Also the Glocks in that range are nice. I personally went with the P99 for ergonomics and the 9mm for range economy. The P99 just feels like it's molded for my hand exactly. A 5" barreled XD in 45ACP is on my todo list too, again because it's the most comfortable double stack full size .45 I know I can trust.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I think the 9mm P99c is already snappy, but no big deal to me. I personally wouldn't want one in .40 (not a compact).....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ June 23 2006,2:51)]I think the 9mm P99c is already snappy, but no big deal to me. I personally wouldn't want one in .40 (not a compact).....
I've been meaning to try a 9mm for a while now, so I pulled the trigger (on the trade) and traded my XD Sub .40 with Meprolight night sights for a P99C AS 9mm and $175. I think I got a good deal.

So, what the best (cheap, cleanest) range ammo you would recommend? I'm most likely getting Corbon for carry ammo, but any other suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
63 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZBoater @ June 23 2006,12:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ June 23 2006,2:51)]I think the 9mm P99c is already snappy, but no big deal to me. I personally wouldn't want one in .40 (not a compact).....
I've been meaning to try a 9mm for a while now, so I pulled the trigger (on the trade) and traded my XD Sub .40 with Meprolight night sights for a P99C AS 9mm and $175.  I think I got a good deal.

So, what the best (cheap, cleanest) range ammo you would recommend?  I'm most likely getting Corbon for carry ammo, but any other suggestions are welcome!
For cheap, you can't beat Winchester white box
Most wal-marts carry it, and it's just about as cheap as it gets for 9mm.

Also, CCI Blazer (the aluminum cased ammo) is pretty cheap as well. I'm thoroughly satisfied with the Winchester for range ammo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
CCI Blazer aluminum is $1/box cheaper and it's cleaner ammo, that is if you have an Academy near you. Hurry up on stockiing up on ammo though, rumor has it that the price of ammo is going up again on the 1st.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up some Magtech range ammo FMJ 124gr for 7.77 a box of 50 at Sportsmansguide.com. Odd that was the same price for my .380ACP rounds a week ago. I thought 9mm was going to be cheaper. I also picked up some Corbon 124gr 9mm for $12.97 a box of 20 also at Sportsmansguide.com. I should be able to pickup and test the gun on Thursday, so here is to hoping it all works out.

I also picked up a crazy, crazy 32rd magazine at Sportsmansguide.com for $19. Going to give that a whirl at the range to see if it works. Anyone tried one of these in their P99 or P99c?

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZBoater @ June 23 2006,5:31)]I picked up some Magtech range ammo FMJ 124gr for 7.77 a box of 50 at Sportsmansguide.com.  Odd that was the same price for my .380ACP rounds a week ago.  I thought 9mm was going to be cheaper.  I also picked up some Corbon 124gr 9mm for $12.97 a box of 20 also at Sportsmansguide.com.  I should be able to pickup and test the gun on Thursday, so here is to hoping it all works out.

I also picked up a crazy, crazy 32rd magazine at Sportsmansguide.com for $19.  Going to give that a whirl at the range to see if it works.  Anyone tried one of these in their P99 or P99c?
The cheap 9mm practice ammo is going to be 115gr, you should be able to come out for about $6 for 50 rounds if you get winchester white box from walmart, or cci blazer from natchezss.com.

The huge mag more than likely won't be reliable by all reports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts