Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new to me TPH 22 to the range to testfire it. It worked 100% in SA, but when I tried DA it failed every time. Now I noticed that the hammer travelled only 70% backwards in DA compared to SA. After further inspection and good cleaning I noticed that in DA the hammer didn't even touch the firing pin. It stopped about 2 mm before touching the firing pin. I suppose something is wrong here and would like to know what. Can somebody help me?

Thanks Jan

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
I don't have one but they are similar to a PP.....almost. The trigger bar operates the hammer in a manner different from the PP pistols. I expect you will find the problem there. As far as internet diagnostics go some good photos of the trigger bar, hammer engagement, etc with the slide and grips off would be a start. Unless this is a common issue we will need good photos and a good description of exactly what is going on in DA. It sounds like something is worn or bent as I believe the trigger bar is responsible for cocking and release of the hammer on this pistol. But, that is all the help I can suggest. Good luck. There are some folks around here that own the pistol and might be of further help. Photos? 1917

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/3958-tph-double-action-fix.html

There is the short thread above regarding the same issue. Reading up on the history of these pistols on some models the trigger bar leans out away from the frame. When this happens DA does not work properly. I read that the pistols were subsequently carefully inspected regarding this issue at the time of manufacture. It seems in the above thread that a gunsmith added some JB Weld or similar to the inside of the grip to make sure the trigger bar stayed upright and close to the frame. You should be able to access the trigger bar with the grips off. How about pressing the trigger bar in against the frame and see if the trigger will operate it in a normal manner. Stock grips? 1917

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
http://www.nramuseum.org/media/364040/Oct 96.pdf

Read the paragraph that is under the photo of the field stripped pistol including the removal of the grips. The trigger bar slipping out of position is discussed. It sounds like the trigger bar can move outward where it no longer fits properly inside of the disconnect cutout on the slide. I'm not sure what the cure is if this is the issue. Perhaps the addition of material inside the right grip is a good solution to keep the bar against the frame. 1917

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I have wooden aftermarket grips. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Thanks for the help!

Jan

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Yep, remove those grips and try the DA trigger without them. If that cures it....get some stock grips. These are small pistols without a lot of room for error in parts fitment. 1917

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Took the grips off and when I push the trigger bar against the frame DA works fine. Put the original grips on and same problem. Upon further inspection I noticed there is a little wear on the hammer that pushes the trigger bar out. I think the cure is to replace the hammer. I'll try to find one. In the meantime I'll just shoot it in SA.

Thanks for all the help.
Jan

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Oh, we enjoy digging into problems like this. Plenty of people learn something and there is some good info in the FAQ MG Mike linked. I looked at one of these one time but the shop wanted $900 or so and I wouldn't go that high. Not having DA wouldn't bother me either. In fact on my target P22 I removed the hammer strut which makes it a SA only pistol. I haven't been able to pull the triggers on my 1911's hard enough to make DA work either. 1917

1 - 12 of 12 Posts