Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legacy Collectibles just got in a TPH .22 with an unusual aperture rear sight. I've never seen one like this before and it looks totally out of place. I wonder how well it shoots?
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood Air gun
Trigger Cylinder Gun accessory Tableware Gun barrel

Super Moderator
Redcat, that is interesting.
My understanding of aperture sights, on carbines, is that the eye will naturally center itself on the center (brightest) part of the aperture. A cheek weld, on the stock, is necessary to discourage moving your eye, relative to the aperture. Done correctly, the eye itself actually becomes the rear sight; then just put the front sight were you want the bullet to go. Personal fan of 'peep' sights, on black rifles or '92 Winchesters, because they are accurate, and they let codgers shoot irons. The front sight/target are both far enough away to allow a decent focus.
On a handgun, well....there is no cheek weld, and the sight is at arms length (my sergeant wanted my nose to the charging handle on an M16; closer is better; you focus through the rear sight, not on it..) Lots of things can move, relative to the aperture, on a pistol.
So, in this case, the aperture would simply be used as a rear sight, presumably centering the front one as a sight picture. The question becomes, how well can you see/align the sights with this setup? It might work, but it won't function as a true aperture; the peep window, not your eye, will be the rear sight. And, with the short barrel of a handgun, it is doubtful that focus issues with the front sight will be solved.
Neat TPH; gotta say that aperture looks pretty high, relative to the slide. Nice, neat installation.
Let us know if it works.... ;)
Moon
ETA-Have handled the takedown Ruger 9mm carbines; presumably because of the takedown feature, Ruger has mounted an aperture out on the barrel, rather than the receiver. It actually gives a halfway decent sight picture, but it is still a carbine, and I didn't actually shoot it. Too, the sight radius is much shorter, from halfway down the barrel, compared to the full length of the barrel/receiver with a proper peep.
M

Super Moderator
After all that, it occurs to me...if a peep on a handgun worked really well, we'd have seen more of them, yes? ;)
Moon

Administrator
The idea of peep sights was experimented with a while back. AeroTek (I think) was selling aperture sights for Glocks.

Others offered half-apeture sights and even diamond shaped apertures.

The idea didn't take off for the reasons halfmoon mentioned. It just doesn't bring the same advantage with a pistol as it does with a rifle or carbine.

Still, that TPH is an interesting pistol and a rare period piece.

Registered
Redcat, that is interesting.
My understanding of aperture sights, on carbines, is that the eye will naturally center itself on the center (brightest) part of the aperture. A cheek weld, on the stock, is necessary to discourage moving your eye, relative to the aperture. Done correctly, the eye itself actually becomes the rear sight; then just put the front sight were you want the bullet to go. Personal fan of 'peep' sights, on black rifles or '92 Winchesters, because they are accurate, and they let codgers shoot irons. The front sight/target are both far enough away to allow a decent focus.
On a handgun, well....there is no cheek weld, and the sight is at arms length (my sergeant wanted my nose to the charging handle on an M16; closer is better; you focus through the rear sight, not on it..) Lots of things can move, relative to the aperture, on a pistol.
So, in this case, the aperture would simply be used as a rear sight, presumably centering the front one as a sight picture. The question becomes, how well can you see/align the sights with this setup? It might work, but it won't function as a true aperture; the peep window, not your eye, will be the rear sight. And, with the short barrel of a handgun, it is doubtful that focus issues with the front sight will be solved.
Neat TPH; gotta say that aperture looks pretty high, relative to the slide. Nice, neat installation.
Let us know if it works.... ;)
Moon
ETA-Have handled the takedown Ruger 9mm carbines; presumably because of the takedown feature, Ruger has mounted an aperture out on the barrel, rather than the receiver. It actually gives a halfway decent sight picture, but it is still a carbine, and I didn't actually shoot it. Too, the sight radius is much shorter, from halfway down the barrel, compared to the full length of the barrel/receiver with a proper peep.
M
You are exactly right. My wife and I used to shoot smallbore Cowboy Silhouette. Every gun we use had a Lyman globe and tang or receiver peep. I find that I have to have it as close to my eye as possible for the best sight picture. I mount them as far as I can from the front sight. Some have rubber cups on the aperture , suggesting that you should get real close.

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Wood Rectangle Metal Flooring Household hardware

When properly mounted, this is what you should see, you don't even "see" the rear peep.
This is my experience, YMMV
Font Art Snout Darkness Symbol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts