Walther Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I also thought that the recoil spring might have something to do with it, but you've tried without it.

At this point, the only thing I can suggest is that you take it to a reputable gunsmith, perhaps the gun shop where you bought it, or the FFL that handled the transfer.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
That's a thot', but most shops and smiths are cluless about these little beasties.
To repeat a PP's thot', PM pilkguns. He's da man!
Moon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, after a while of sitting at the guru of TPH's feet (by phone), we worked it out. After a bit of tinkering with the hammer, I was able to force the slide into the start of the grooves, then press down on the back of the slide to "force" it down the line. Once I got that done, pilkguns spoke wisdom that I'd long forgotten with time. "That stainless will gall if you don't keep it greased." Homer Simpson moment. Doh. Took it back off, and liberally applied some of that red Mobil One synthetic grease I prefer for surfaces like that. Slipped back in like a good Walther should. Took it off, put the spring back on, and it dropped into place right off the bat. Worked it back and forth a bit to spread the grease thoroughly across the surfaces of the grooves. Asked Denise (my XYL) to come try it. First try, no problem. Acts like a new gun! I'd forgotten she'd cleaned and thoroughly degreased everything after her shooting session.

Thanks for coming along with me for this journey that ended with a simple truth:

"If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it."

Doh!

...Jamesy

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
As I said Pilkguns has forgotten more about the TPH than most of us will ever know. Scott knows his stuff!
Glad he could help you out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts