Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife collects (and shoots quite well) 22 pistols of all sort, Recently she bought a stainless Interarms Walther TPH (circa 1992), and fell in love with the way it shoots. So, long story short, she field strips it and cleans it and now the slide won't go back on the frame.

I've shot and reassembled my PPK and PP many times and never had a problem getting the slide to line up with the grooves in the frame. She brought it to me (looking a bit embarrassed) and said "Can you get this slide on?"

After failing at this relatively simple task, I put a nylon shotgun cleaning tip between the frame and the trigger guard, so it's not moving up. I can't put a slide back on a Walther? I took the recoil spring out to see if I could get the slide on with no back pressure. No dice. I took the grips off in case they'd shifted high enough to interfere. Still nuthin'.

I've got this little naked TPH on my bench and am asking if anyone else has ever had a situation like this. I'm open to suggestions, and I'm here to learn.

Thanks...

...Jamesy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up: I had my wife take her EDC gun out (German PP in 7.65) and unload it. She stripped and reassembled it effortlessly. I tried on her PP...no problem. I just can't see what the difference (save size) is with that darned TPH!

Again, any suggestions are welcome.

...Jamesy

·
Registered
716 Posts
A disclaimer first. I don't have a TPH.
A warning secondly. Don't force anything.

The way I figure it, three things might be off.
1) Recoil spring goes in tight end first;
2) Trigger guard moved. Secure it, down and to the side.
3) Trigger bar might be warped or out of place. Take a look at it.

FYI, http://nramuseum.org/media/364040/Oct 96.pdf

HTH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, jehzsa...

Recoil spring is tight end to the barrel, wide end forward.

Trigger guard is held down and blocked with a thick nylon shotgun cleaning eye inserted over the top of the peg.

The right side trigger bar is flush (actually slightly below flush) in the frame. No way that's hanging up.

I feel like I'm going to have to call in a professional for something really obvious and embarrassing.

The slide pulls back to the point where the rails will drop down. They just aren't dropping into the frame slot.

Thanks for the basics, but I'm past that at this point.

I can't find any burrs on the leading edge of the rails on the slide or the grooves in the frame, and they've been cleaned well and chased with a toothpick.

Any other ideas?

Thanks...

...Jamesy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just disassembled and reassembled my tph, with and without recoil spring. No issues sans my arthritic hands. what position is the safety and hammer in? Are any of the pins loose or drifting? Pics might help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, O'Neal...

I wondered about the safety issue, so I've tried it both on and off. Neither way seemed to make a difference.

As for the hammer, it has to be cocked or the slide couldn't drop down far enough to line up with the grooves in the frame.

All the gun is tight and I couldn't feel any pins protruding.

Let me know what parts I should show, and I'll be happy to post pictures. I'll put up a side view from both sides and a view of the back of the frame (down the grooves), and one of the back of the slide (down the rails).

Right now, wifey is calling me in for BBQ chicken and corn on the cob, so I'll try to get them up later this evening. Got my priorities!

Thanks again...

...Jamesy

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Here is a video. It may help:Walther TPH 25 ACP - Bing video

And if all else fails you can always ask member Pilkguns. He's forgotten more about the TPH than most of us ever knew.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi, Martin...

The trigger guard won't pull down if there's a magazine in it. There's a bar that protrudes into the front of the magazine well that protrudes with the trigger guard down. A magazine holds it in and keeps the guard from budging.

Thanks...

...Jamesy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

If there are any other views anyone would like to see, just let me know.

Thanks again...

...Jamesy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mpgus...heck, I've removed the recoil spring and pulled it as far back as it will go. It drops down, but there's some reason it won't hit the slots. I've moved the slide up and down at it's most rearward position and it's like trying to drop a golf ball into a gumball machine. Just doesn't line up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts