Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a Walther worshipper since the world was young.  As one of my carry guns, I have a PPK lightly customized by Cylinder & Slide.  I've often thought of picking up a TPH as a back-up and as a covenient slip-in-the pocket gun for quick trips, but I've read over the years that it has reliability problems.  Can anyone shed any light on whether or not these reports might be valid?  Thanks very much.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The PPK is a Pocket pistol with enough cal. to do the job, I use a Don Hume pocket holster for just what your talking about. TPH isn't all that much smaller and not a good cal. for SD. Remember the 380 is considered min. by most people. Well thats my and my PPK/S .02cents worth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Michael.  The PPK doesn't easily fit in the pocket of the clothes I wear, but maybe it's time for a change.  Time to "dress around the gun," as they say.  I'll give it a go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Others may have a different experience, but here's mine: I owned an American-made TPH for a very SHORT time.  I bought it used and it looked like it was in very good condition.  In single-action mode, it functioned flawlessly.  But for my taste, the trigger pull was way too light, almost dangerous.  Double-action was another story.  The hammer would not reliably fall far enough to strike the firing pin.  Time after time all you could hear was that awful "click."  Not what a shooter wants to hear.  And, the trigger pull in double-action was simply awful!  I don't mean hard, I mean AWFUL!  Also, various pins would start drifting even holding the darn thing.  Smith and Wesson will not work on them as they never made TPHs.  So unless you know a good (and I do mean GOOD) gunsmith, I would say forget about the TPH.  I was just lucky to have a dealer who was understanding enough to take it back and return my money.  

Hope this helps,

Robert

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you want a real small pocket pistol in 22lr. try looking at the Beretta 21A. The grips are a little wider, it's still double action and there isn't as much chance for hammer/slide bite. Prices are around $300 for stainless.

If you want micro-small you could try a North American Arms NAA22LR revolver in 22s, 22l, 22lr, or 22mag. The bad part about it is that it's only single action. And a single action revolver is too small (and dangerous) to cock with one hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts