Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've recently bought a nice blued german made walther tph in .22lr. as far as i can tell never used before. took it apart and while cleaning dropped the cocked hammer by accident. maybe 5 seconds later i read in in the manual (in bold letters!) NEVER to do that! (got really angry at myself..)

is there a big chance that I broke something by doing that once? :confused:

after carefully putting it back together i noticed i already produced a small scratch on the metal part which is fixing the barrel visible in the ejection port. also there is a small mark (only visible as a slight loss of color) in the area where the firing pin hits the part above the chamber (when dryfiring i suppose) which leads me to another question:

as the tph's construction won't hold the slide open after the last round fired: will an 'occasional' dry fire damage this gun?

and while i'm at it: i'm already in love with this little pistol. i was actually looking for a ppk but instead found this one. used only to 9mm para pistols it seems to be so delicate to me though.. almost afraid to break it.

looking forward to some answers!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Most likely you've not hurt anything.
and the occasional droppage shouldn't hurt anything, but I would'nt make a habit of it.

I would not describe them as delicate, they are fine performing little guns, just as its PPK brother is provided you feed it the right stuff. I wouldn't run anything in it other CCI Mini Mags or Stingers though them and that seems to be the consensus of the various threads throughout this forum for ammo reliability.

Be careful though. They are habit forming. I'm over a dozen of the darn things now...... they just keep creeping in somehow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you pilkguns for easing my mind and advice on ammunition. i've not shot it yet, just cycled a few rounds i have lying around through it which it made fly across the room.

and i think i know what you mean.. when i bought my first pistol i decided to set a limit of 3 to my 'collection'. reaching 3 i raised it to 5. now with the tph i have 5..

have a nice day!

·
Registered
505 Posts
.''when i bought my first pistol i decided to set a limit of 3 to my 'collection'. reaching 3 i raised it to 5. now with the tph i have 5..

have a nice day![/QUOTE]

What have you raised your limit to now?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I guess I subscribe to the theory that if you can count the number of guns you have, you don't have enough guns.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
616 Posts
Heck, the facts of the matter are, I don't even know how many TPHs I have. I do know exactly how many PPKs I have....... I must not have enough of them ....

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
Cartagener, the German ones have a better rep than the Interarms/Ranger iteration; my current Ranger runs fine, but not all do.
They do have a rep for being a little fragile and sometimes contrary, tho' the variability in .22 rf is no small part of that problem.
No harm in shooting it a bit, but show some restraint. And they are neat; like a PPK puppy.
Moon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, for now i'm good with 5. there will have to be a ppk in .32 at some point though. someone i know recommended a prewar zella-mehlis which he considers to be the best in quality. what do you think?

·
Registered
505 Posts
well, for now i'm good with 5. there will have to be a ppk in .32 at some point though. someone i know recommended a prewar zella-mehlis which he considers to be the best in quality. what do you think?
Since I just bought a pre war zella mehlis, I would have to concur.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Dry-firing rimfires should be avoided to prevent damage to the firing pin tip or deformation of the rear face of the barrel just above the chamber (which sometimes can swage the edge into the chamber mouth and impede feeding). Inserting a thin wafer of plastic will cushion the impact (a bread bag tag works well) --as will a plastic drywall plug that others here have suggested.

M

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
someone i know recommended a prewar zella-mehlis which he considers to be the best in quality. what do you think?
Depends on your budget and the condition of the gun. ZM PPKs have been getting pretty dear. The post war Ulm proofed PPKs are terrific and will set you back quite a bit less for good examples.

·
Super Moderator
7,311 Posts
My Ranger TPH has an enlarged boss above the actual striking face of the firing pin; there to absorb the impact of a an inadvertent dry snap. It still doesn't make a lot of dry snaps a good idea, but there is some protection against an occasional one, especially since the gun doesn't warn you it's empty.
Moon

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have been carrying my German made TPH in .22lr for nearly 30 years. Shot at least 2,000 rounds out of it during that time, perhaps more. I carry CCI Stingers with 6 in the mag and one in the chamber. It fits nearly anywhere and is quite light. When fishing or hunting I carry it in my shirt pocket button or zipped for security. When fishing I keep it in a plastic bag in case I take an unexpected dip in the water.

It comforting to know in the event you come across a rapid animal, cougar, or who knows when you are out there that your TPH is always with you.

I have finished off an Elk, and quite a few deer with the TPH as a coup de grace after taking the animal.

Walther of Arkansas doesn't get it. They should make the TPH again with the lightweight frame like the german models. How about a real PPK/L just like the german models right down to the landyard on the bottom of the grip and no long tang sticking out of the back of the pistol, Gosh that sure looks ugly...

Anyway the TPH is a winner in my book....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I guess I subscribe to the theory that if you can count the number of guns you have, you don't have enough guns.
As I recently told my wife, I can count all of mine on one hand ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hello again!

i took the tph to the range quite excited. i pulled the trigger in single action (which is actually very nice!) and.. click. that was it. then again in double action and that worked. it occurred with more or less every third round and quite frankly pissed me off. the ammunition i used was brand new and we use it for target shooting on the range and i never ever experienced that with my ruger mark 2. does anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

by the way: in my opinion the accuracy or let's say the shootability is really something!

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's a lot of other folks that I'm sure will chime in, but have you had a chance to detail the pistol? Gunk, oil/fouling, or even just dust might be slowing down the hammer or firing pin. I have a 22LR conversion kit for my 1911, and it gets that way after a lot of shooting.

Alternately, did you try a couple different ammunition types? Primer consistency and sensitivity might factor in as well.

If a detail clean / ammo smorgasbord doesn't resolve it, then a trip to one of those gunsmiths folks are talking about might be in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i did not detail strip it but i tried it again with different ammunition and it did make a difference. the spent casings of the brand i tested today look like the brass is kind of softer (mark of the firing pin). i fired around 40 rounds and changed back and forth between the two sorts of ammunition after every 5 or 6 rounds and it was obvious. the problem does not occur with the new brand.
thanks for your input!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts