Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased at BNIB Gen 2 P99 in 9mm. Finally put it in my hands today and I really like it, but the aesthetics of the Gen 1 are really making me question which one I want.

I understand the detailed differences between the two, and I guess I would like to get some input from some of you that own both or have handled both.

Is the mag release on the Gen 1 a pain to reach? I know the Gen 2 mag release is perfect and I have owned PPQ M1s in the past. The mag release is the main turn on I have for the Gen 2. I have never handled a Gen 1, but the slightly shorter barrel/slide makes the Gen 1 look beautiful to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The shorter mag release of the gen 1 is in my view clearly inferior. You may be able to operate it without trouble but in my case the extended paddles are really much easier to reach and because of the extra leverage seem like they are easier to toggle as well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I feel like the Gen 2's have the much better lines.

One feature I do kind of prefer on the gen 1 is the ski-jump on the trigger guard.

If you can only have a single P99 then the Gen 2 is the one you want. Of course there aren't any rules against having more than one, right? ;)

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, P22, and a few from lesser brands as well.
68 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, but I'll argue in favor of the Gen 1. I had a Gen 1 for a while and loved it. It was my favorite handgun ever. I had no trouble with the mag release and actually favored it quite a bit over the American button style. After I got used to it, I found that I was faster with mag changes with my paddle release than I was with the button release on other pistols. I never handled a Gen 2 so not sure how the extended mag release would compare. Plus, the looks of the Gen 1 are just sexy. The Gen 2 adds the standard rail that, IMO, makes it look a lot less sleek. True, the original rail on the Gen 1 is pretty much useless, but running lights and attachments wasn't quite as cool way back then.

If you're going to daily carry or use it for home defense, then get the Gen 2 because of the ability to mount lights. If it's just a range toy or a fun addition to the collection, then get the gen 1, hands down.

·
Super Moderator
14,553 Posts
If you intend on carrying this pistol, holster availability will be something you want to think about. Many more holster options out there for the Gen 2 than the Gen 1. The proprietary rail on the Gen 1 can also be a pain in the butt if you're considering running a light/laser.

If you don't care about holsters or lights and the short paddles are the only complaint, its possible to put 'long' paddles on a gen 1.....I've done it many times......yep, you'll have to whoop out the ole 'dremel' or 1/4" die grinder.

Here's a couple of SW99 45's I did a little surgery on. :giggle: So yep, you could have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
"Is the mag release on the Gen 1 a pain to reach?"

Just picked up a Gen 1 earlier this month. My first impression of the P99 Gen 1 mag release is how similar in feel/function it is to the HK Mark 23.

"the slightly shorter barrel/slide makes the Gen 1 look beautiful to me."

IIRC, the barrel length is not a "Gen" thing. The 9mm has 4", the 40 S&W, 4.2", regardless of Gen.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Aren’t there three Gen of P99? The original Gen 1, the remodeled “modern P99” but with the short paddles and latest model, with the long paddles?
Yes.

There's a Proprietary rail to 1913 Pic rail adapter that looks good on Gen 1s too.....

Unfortunately they're hard to find.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just purchased at BNIB Gen 2 P99 in 9mm. Finally put it in my hands today and I really like it, but the aesthetics of the Gen 1 are really making me question which one I want.

I understand the detailed differences between the two, and I guess I would like to get some input from some of you that own both or have handled both.

Is the mag release on the Gen 1 a pain to reach? I know the Gen 2 mag release is perfect and I have owned PPQ M1s in the past. The mag release is the main turn on I have for the Gen 2. I have never handled a Gen 1, but the slightly shorter barrel/slide makes the Gen 1 look beautiful to me.
i prefer the gen.2, like the l9nger mag.release. But be happy with either 1.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
i prefer the gen.2, like the l9nger mag.release. But be happy with either 1.
The longer release lever is a Gen 3 feature. EDIT; Just looked into this and saw the Gen 2 actually has the longer lever. I was incorrect in this info.
Gen 2 has the same lever as the Gen 1 is incorrect info.
This doesn't apply to ANY P99 that OFs had his hands on. 😄
I wonder if he can fit my P5 with paddles.🤔

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I own a gen 1 and a couple gen3s. I like the overall look of the gen 1 a bit better, but the gen3 has a better trigger, better mag release, and the lack of the ski jump trigger guard is also a big plus for me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate all the info and opinions. I am in the process of purchasing a Gen 1 in OD right now from a forum member. Can’t wait to get it.

I will compare the two of them and then decide if I want to sell one or keep them both.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry for being late to the party, but other than the Smith & Wesson SW99, there's another P99 relative around; the Magnum Research MR9 (2 versions). One version has the shorter 4" barrel and a trigger guard very similar to the PPQ, but with the earlier "short" mag release. The other is the 4.5" barrel, with the front end of the slide milled to reflect the look of the Desert Eagle. I had both, but kept the longer barreled one. They feel and shoot just like the P99/Gen 1 that I had.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My gen 1 is my one and only P99. I love it--and I don't typically love polymer-framed guns. And really the only reason I chose it was for aesthetics. The dig the gen 1's simpler, more angular lines. For some reason, I find the very fine, half-height rear serrations very pleasing to the eye.

As far as the mag release... my fingers are too short to reach any mag release on any gun, without a grip change (except a Kahr). So... it's moot, for me.

Also, James Bond and Kate Beckinsdale carried the gen 1. And so do I. 😁

·
Super Moderator
14,553 Posts
I'd carry Kate, but I'll be packin' a PDP or maybe a PPQ, or maybe a P99 Gen 2 or maybe a PPQPDP99AS Frankengun....... 😂 😂 😂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts