Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the factory sights on my PPQ with a set of Trijicon HD night sights. Does anyone know what size flat head screwdriver I need for the rear sight? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Put on some safety glasses. Use thumbnail to depress the plunger. While holding the plunger down, use other hand/finger to push sight about 1/8" to the left. Now, carefully release pressure on the plunger, letting it come all the way up. Be careful, the plunger has a spring under it and if your thumbnail slips off, the plunger can make like a saturn rocket....either bouncing off your safety glasses or punching through the roof enroute to the moon.

Once you've got the site pushed over a little and your thumb off the plunger, you can then finish pushing the sight out to the left.

The windage screw has a concave slot for the screw driver....I use a file and do a little filing on the end of a small screw driver to make it match the slot in the screw head.

The windage screw is left hand thread. Meaning to remove the screw, you'll need to turn it clockwise.

Put the windage screw in the HD sight and install the sight in the reverse order of the removal process.

This should help:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put on some safety glasses. Use thumbnail to depress the plunger. While holding the plunger down, use other hand/finger to push sight about 1/8" to the left. Now, carefully release pressure on the plunger, letting it come all the way up. Be careful, the plunger has a spring under it and if your thumbnail slips off, the plunger can make like a saturn rocket....either bouncing off your safety glasses or punching through the roof enroute to the moon.

Once you've got the site pushed over a little and your thumb off the plunger, you can then finish pushing the sight out to the left.

The windage screw has a concave slot for the screw driver....I use a file and do a little filing on the end of a small screw driver to make it match the slot in the screw head.

The windage screw is left hand thread. Meaning to remove the screw, you'll need to turn it clockwise.

Put the windage screw in the HD sight and install the sight in the reverse order of the removal process.

This should help:
Thanks, this helps alot.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Be careful installing the rear sight. Getting the head of he screw aligned where it'll fit into the slot in the plunger is a little tricky. Try this: Install windage screw in new sight. make sure the slot in the plunger is running perfectly straight....slot must be aligned with the slide/barrel....can't be cocked even a little bit. Install the sight from the left, push it all the way over until the head of the screw is touching the side of the plunger. Now, once again, check the plunger slot alignment....gotta be straight to accept the head of the screw. Wear safety glasses again, use thumb to depress the plunger....while holding it down, push the sight to the right a 1/16" or so....just so the head of the screw is over the plunger. At this point you can remove your thumb from the plunger (again, be careful). Once again, take a look at the slot...if it still looks good, using your left hand, place your finger and thumb on either side of the sight...your thumb will be pressed against the side of the sight AND over the top of the plunger....so if you flub up, your thumb is blocking the exit path of the plunger. While grasping/pinching the sight, move it just a little bit to the right.....if the slot is still aligned with slide and the head of the screw, you will hear a click as the plunger pops up to secure the head of the screw in the slot.

Sounds complicated. Its really not. I can remove and install a PPQ rear sight in 10 seconds.....it just takes practice.

So, there ya go.....

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I can take one out in about that time fart....never put one back in...:)

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Here's a picture of the tool I use to remove/install the rear sight.

If I'm installing a sight that needs to be 'pressed' in, I'll use a sight pusher. Can't do this is 10 seconds.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
FYI

My new PPQ M2 SC had a 1.5mm Allen screw in the front sight and no spring and plunger in the rear sight, unless it flew off and I didn’t see it. I did remove the rear sight with the gun in a plastic bag and I didn’t find anything in the bag. My PPQ M1 has a 3/32 hex nut on the front sight and the spring and plunger on the rear.

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
The PPQ M2 SC differs from its parents in some significant ways. One, being the method of rear sight retainment/adjustment. The SC, due to changes inside the rear of the slide, doesn't have room for a 'spring & plunger'. Furthermore, the SC is available with plastic sights that make use of a windage adjustment/retention screw, somewhat like its mama, or a steel sight that is a press fit...much or just like the steel sights used on P99's and First Edtion PPQ's.

From the sound of it, your SC must have the plastic rear sight. Meaning you simply unscrew the windage adjustment screw (probably reverse thread) and it will actually push the rear sight out and off to the left. The head of the screw is round, and fits into a slot milled into the slide. On one hand, that seems like an odd arrangement. Or, maybe its innovative. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts