Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fun little Pistol! As to date, I have loaded and shot cut down 9 MM case, 38 Super Comp and 9 Mak cases sized in 9 mm dies with .355 bullets, In addition to factory 9 Ultra ammo. As long as the cases are trimmed to around 17.98/95mm they gun functions just fine.

.38 Super Comp cases

Factory 9 ultra

9 MM cases

Group shot at a little over 10 yrds with 9 MM cases trimmed to 9 Ultra 4.1gr WW 231 and 100 gr FMJ's.

Group shot with factory 9 Ultra.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Mine have all run 100%, and I have owned something like 14 of them over the years. An under appreciated Walther, for sure.

Reactions: Andyd_is_PzGren

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
GeoNole94

"Mine have all run 100%, and I have owned something like 14 of them over the years. An under appreciated Walther, for sure." 14, no wonder You can hardly find them now a days! Lots more fun to shoot than my Walther PPK! Using 9 mm cases shortened to 17.98-95, who cares if you cant find them all! Only takes a second on the trimmer to make more! What's neat, is Walther has parts still in stock for them! Don't be afraid to buy one of these Walther PP Supers thinking you wont be able to find ammo!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The greater mass and more full grip yield less felt recoil in 9x18 than the .380 PP or PPK, IMO. The .380 Supers are about like shooting a .32 PP - nothing to it but pure pleasure. Only the Benelli B82 in 9x18 is a softer shooter in this caliber. The SIG P230 and Mauser Hsc, on the other hand, have noticeably harsher recoil than the Walther PP Super. (Ask me how I know all of this ;))

·
Registered
754 Posts
(Ask me how I know all of this ;))
Fwiw:
:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@GeoNole94 ; Okay, I'll bite: How DO you know all this?
Know what, who are you talking to? Simple if 9 Mak cases NOT loaded ammo are the same Length as 9 Ultra and will fit in the Walther 9 Ultra, and you can make 9 Mak from 9 mm Cases, 9 mm can be used to make 9 Ultra cases provided the rims fit. You can even use .38 Comp. 9 MM cases shortened to 9 Ultra length.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
He asked how I know about the relative merits of the other three pistol models to be chambered in 9 mm Police. I know because I own all four and have shot them side-by-side.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since the PP Super in 380 is extremely rare, does anyone know if I could install a used 380 PP barrel in a PP Super and have it chamber a 380 round correctly to shoot? I would LOVE to own a PP super, but I can't find (nor afford) the 380 version, not to mention the 9x18 ultra round is expensive (if you can find it) and I don't reload. So, I thought I might try to make my own PP Super in 380. --- James

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I haven’t heard of anybody trying this, so I would be interested in hearing how your project turns out, if it is in fact possible. I suspect that there is more to it than swapping barrels, although I have found the .380 to cycle reliably in a 9x18 Super.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith, but I know a really good one around here.

I know the chamber is different, so my idea was to see if the 9mm kurz barrel would "mount" into the frame of a PP Super, swapping the barrels seems to be an easy (aka cheap) way to try this.

In rifles, headspace matters, so what I don't know is if the 380 barrel (aka 9mm kurz) will sit in the right place as to ensure the slide locks the round into place correctly. I don't want a "kaboom" if the cartridge doesn't seat properly all the way into the chamber.

It's just a "wish" thing anyway, I don't have a PP super to "play" with, but if I find one cheap enough (GB ones are 600-700 currently) I would try it.

If I end up doing this in the future sometime, i'll update the thread.

Oh, GeoNole... you said you cycled 380 in a 9mm ultra gun , can you see if the characteristics of the action that might lend itself to not working?

James
There is a PP Super barrel on Ebay. Problem is, 9 Ultra is fatter/longer and tapered. You need a new chamber. I just cut 9 Luger/or .38 Super Comp down to 9 Ultra and shoot away. Maybe try a Walther PP 9mm Kurz Barrel and see if they can be modified to work.
Walther PP-SUPER cal. 9x18mm BARREL with RECOIL SPRING gun parts #TC372 | eBay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Five fired cartridges are left to right, 9 Mak sized in 9 MM Dies loaded with 4grs Unique and a 95gr JHP gr bullet. 3 Cases in the middle are .380 loaded with 4 grs Unique and 100 gr FMJ's. Right case is Factory 9 Ultra. All function and fire in my Walther PP Super. Red marked cases are all 9 MAk cases sized with 9 MM Dies and loaded with the same 4grs Unique and a 95gr JHP. You can see .380's bulge a bit above the extractor cut. PP Super is not extremely rare! Right now everything is back-ordered/out of stock but I had no problem getting 9 Ultra a couple months ago.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can see the bulges of the 380s. How often do you load 380 cartridges for shooting in your Super? Have you ever had a ruptured case?

I wonder if a 380 barrel will be too short at the chamber side. Maybe so given the bulges, but I wonder if some sort of spacer could be placed on the backend of where the barrel mounts to add enough space to ensure the case fits entirely in the chamber.

Again, this is just a thought experiment... I don't have a PP super to "play" with.

James

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I make my own cases for my 9 Super. Just tried .380's to see if they would work. Never had a ruptured case. Just go buy a Walther PP Super in 9 Ultra. If you weigh 9 MM cut cases and 9 Ultra cases vs .380, they weigh a lot more. They take way more pressure than .380's do. 9mm Police

1 - 20 of 24 Posts