Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time out of the safe in 5 years.

I don't know how to put this, especially here, but, I guess all my recent trigger time on P99s and my two custom worked over CZs, have really changed my opinion on the P5.

I remember it being an accurate pistol, but now, it just takes so much more effort to even approach what I can do with my above mentioned pistols that I doubt I'll ever bother with it again. The trigger is heavy, and if it breaks like a glass rod, it's a rod about a foot thick. And it has substantial trigger slap, something I don't recall, but my finger stung, a lot, after putting 150 rounds down the pipe trying to get the old mojo back. The slide action and lockup are still the same buttery smooth precision as before, and it was 100% reliable, as it always has been during the 1375 rounds I've put through it, but man, it really was no fun to shoot. Towards the end of the session I got the accuracy back, but the effort expended to do so really has me perplexed. If it wasn't so complex, and parts so dear, I would consider an action "fluff and buff" on it.

What a revoltin' development.

·
Super Moderator
2,494 Posts
Probably if you put it back in your shooting rotation and started shooting it regularly again, you'd "groove" back into the gun.

If the feel is different enough from what you've been shooting it can be a little tough picking it up and shooting it to you potential.

But with rare gun like that, do you really want to put a lot of rounds through it? I'm guessing not.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be worse...have you ever fired an HK? I’m a diehard HK Fanboy but I can tell you those triggers are awful, lol
I do own an HK actually, an HK 45, and after many years I can shoot it quite well.

I hear you Jimmo. I've put a bunch of rounds through it over the years I've owned it. It's a former BMI piece, and far from pristine, so I don't feel real bad about shooting it.
Witness the fact that the other handgun I had out on Saturday was my S&W 38 Hand Ejector, 4th. Change, that dates from sometime in the early 1920s. Put 50 rounds of 158gr. lead round nose through it. Those old Smiths are a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
462 Posts

I don't know how to put this, especially here, but, I guess all my recent trigger time on P99s and my two custom worked over CZs, have really changed my opinion on the P5.

I remember it being an accurate pistol, but now, it just takes so much more effort to even approach what I can do with my above mentioned pistols that I doubt I'll ever bother with it again. The trigger is heavy, and if it breaks like a glass rod, it's a rod about a foot thick. And it has substantial trigger slap, something I don't recall, but my finger stung, a lot, after putting 150 rounds down the pipe trying to get the old mojo back. The slide action and lockup are still the same buttery smooth precision as before, and it was 100% reliable, as it always has been during the 1375 rounds I've put through it, but man, it really was no fun to shoot. Towards the end of the session I got the accuracy back, but the effort expended to do so really has me perplexed. If it wasn't so complex, and parts so dear, I would consider an action "fluff and buff" on it.

The trigger on the P99 will spoil anyone.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Seems like you’re spoiled for choice in the trigger department.

Could be worse...have you ever fired an HK? I’m a diehard HK Fanboy but I can tell you those triggers are awful, lol
I don't have any recent striker HKs (just a few P7 M13s), but my CA date code Mark 23 has a quite nice DA/SA trigger.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't have any recent striker HKs (just a few P7 M13s), but my CA date code Mark 23 has a quite nice DA/SA trigger.
I have the P7M13 and MK23 as well. They're great but Walther definitely has the hand in better triggers across their line. HKs are just more for reliability so I suppose something has to give.

The USP, USPc, and HK45c I have started with terrible triggers. I ended up doing the Match Hybrid, LEM Light, and Match Triggers respectively on all three. And I've shot the VP9, P30L, and HK45 and wasnt surprised by the grittyness. None of those pistols hold a candle to Walther in the trigger department but every brand seems to excel at one or two particular thing while compromising on other things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love my P99 and it hasn't let me down in terms of groups/accuracy. That said, the P5 feels more natural to my hand. It shoots like it feels... which is to say, "good." But I can't say I shoot it any more accurately than my P99.

·
Registered
91 Posts

You're right. They are junk. You should see it to me cheap 😁 . MIne needs a companion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts