Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot find much information regarding the Titanium Finish P99's. I have a few questions about this if anyone knows.

1. Does Walther actually do the titanium finish, or is this something that happens as an after-market addition?

2. Is there a particular advantage to the titanium coating?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'd do what Ship did if you want shiny... Walther's stock Ti treatment looks - well, freaking stupid with the huge "TITANIUM COATED!!!!!!" billboard-sized lettering on the slide. ;)

thorn

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I do love my P99, but Thorn is right. The billboard is a bit cheesy.

The Ti coating leaves a matte silver finish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
titanium coated: BS***

My P99 QA has the infamous titanium coated.
The reason I bought is: this was the only model that someone brought to this country,

and I (and a friend) got a good price on our guns because the finish had already some little black spots.

with time those spots are growing in number and size and one day my gun will be all black steel. In the meantime it will look like s**t

but you know what?: it will keep shooting as well as if the finish were all right.

Summing up: I wanted my P99, I got mine.
I hate the titanium thing and if I had the money and power my P 99 would be looking different as of yesterday.

BtW: do you have any suggestion regarding a good, resistent, mate finish?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Matte hard chrome is the toughest finish scratch wise U can get - NP3 is probably the most rust resistant finish U can get - but that does wear in a holster. Hard chrome has decent rust resistant features, but is mainly to protect against wear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless you already have one lined up, you will have to search one out since Walther quit making the titanium models some time ago ( I'm assuming we are talking 9mm, otherwise ignore that comment ). I started out searching for one, then stumbled on a good deal on an older AS. I have thought about having it hard chromed, but at this particular moment, I'm quite happy with my black slide...but then again I am about due for another round of Underworld :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the titanium two-tone finish, but I didn't want that "billboard" either. After seeing Ship's pics of his P99s with hard chrome, I went with plan B. So I found an `01 (in good used condition, the slide had a lot of holster wear), and sent the slide into Tripp. I think it looks better than the factory finish.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like the titanium two-tone finish, but I didn't want that "billboard" either. After seeing Ship's pics of his P99s with hard chrome, I went with plan B. So I found an `01 (in good used condition, the slide had a lot of holster wear), and sent the slide into Tripp. I think it looks better than the factory finish.
That really looks great!

Any regrets over not having the proof marks on the slide anymore? I have a feeling in 3-4 years i might have to have mine refinished in black... feel like i'll miss all the "walther-ness".

thorn

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
That really looks great!

Any regrets over not having the proof marks on the slide anymore? I have a feeling in 3-4 years i might have to have mine refinished in black... feel like i'll miss all the "walther-ness".

thorn
That doesn't bother me on my hard chromed P99s.

U can see them on my hard chromed HK USPc. But Walther seems to put them on lighter. U really have to strain to make out part of them on mine.

But I like the silver color.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you don't like the Titanium billboard and the reputedly crappy durability of the Titanium you could always search out a QPQ model. I have had one for about 4-5 yrs with no finish problems (of course it has never been in a holster either).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts