Walther Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been debating on getting the slide on my 5" done in gold and have the barrel silver.
Thats not a bad turn around time.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My Shadow 2 is getting the works. Slide cuts. Black polish TiN slide. Black TiN frame matte. And copper/bronze barrel and grips. The grips will be Cerakote and not TiN.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Back to the OP, what was the turn around for the TiN coating?

Hm... I'm gettin old.. I know it was $48 , return postage included.

I will say it was less than 4 weeks...

Edit: Checked emails. Order placed 9-18, Then I have an email to them saying I just shipped, that was on 9-24. I had delayed shipping for a club meet , it was canceled anyway...

So 9-24 out, 10-12 back home

:)
brazen firearms

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
-------------------
I spent and hour yesterday working my gun Smith dealing with a problematic 1100 Shotgun I just picked up. He does a lot of free work for me. I just buy him scotch or help clean guns for him 🙂. But the things I learn from him are the best. The guy does amazing work but he will call a spade a spade.
-----------

Might I suggest Lagavulin 16 ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
That’s my personal favorite. I got a place that puts it on sale sometimes for $65. I am drinking some right now.

My problem I dont drink much and it loses its flavor after it sinks below halfway...I need to drink more or buy some oxblocker or something

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just in case any of you are (were?) wondering about titanium nitride's durability, I took these pictures this morning, just after cleaning my .40 PPQ. I shot at least 180 rounds yesterday, which brings the round count to over 1000 since getting the slide and barrel refinished in black TiN. You can see from the lack of abrasion marks on both the breechface and rear of the barrel hood that the finish is holding up VERY well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
One issue with the stuff is that it is so dam hard. As a result, you can actually get marks on it from other metals. In other words, the TiN scratches other surfaces such as brass. But the marks rub off.

Great pics!

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Just in case any of you are (were?) wondering about titanium nitride's durability, I took these pictures this morning, just after cleaning my .40 PPQ. I shot at least 180 rounds yesterday, which brings the round count to over 1000 since getting the slide and barrel refinished in black TiN. You can see from the lack of abrasion marks on both the breechface and rear of the barrel hood that the finish is holding up VERY well.
Are there accuracy or barrel life implications to TINing a barrel?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not to my knowledge. It's a common enough treatment applied to firearms that, if there were any adverse effects, we probably would have read or heard about them by now.

I have not noticed any accuracy degradation in my PPQ since the TiN refinish.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The interior of the barrel does not get coated.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
One potential issue is they steel becoming brittle. When coated the item is heated to 900 F I believe. The coating is very hard. 10 times harder than it was before. As a result, when something is hard, it can chip if struck hard enough. But it would have to be a very hard hit. I have never read where a gun has cracked or a thing like that.

TiN is used to coat machinery in industrial applications.

The down sides of TiN would be limited color options. And each color has slightly different properties. The colors are the result of the formulation used. You also can’t coat aluminum of plastic because it would melt.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
One potential issue is they steel becoming brittle. When coated the item is heated to 900 F I believe. The coating is very hard. 10 times harder than it was before. As a result, when something is hard, it can chip if struck hard enough. But it would have to be a very hard hit. I have never read where a gun has cracked or a thing like that.

TiN is used to coat machinery in industrial applications.

The down sides of TiN would be limited color options. And each color has slightly different properties. The colors are the result of the formulation used. You als
o can’t coat aluminum of plastic because it would melt.

very common drill bit and carbide insert coating.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts