Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing the PPQ M1 with TiN barrel, I thought it'd be cool to TiN my SC barrel..
But I am thinking now that some of the factory markings will be gone..
The 9X19mm should stay, as should the serial number, since those are engraved/etched..
Not so sure about the Walther logo and.. "CIP N" whatever that is

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like it looks nice,
I have used this company for finishing a Beretta INOX came out great they do good work, but not sure if they do TIN. I know they do different kind of finnishes

Cummings Custom Refinishing

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
My favorite finish is wear that I've put on the pistol from shooting it.

I'd suggest using the funds for ammunition and practice. I can count on one hand (and maybe one finger) the amount of times I've heard of barrels on these pistols suffering from corrosion issues in the 22 years the 99-series pistols have been available. The barrel and slide are nitrocarburized. Any aftermarket finish is not going to do much other than be applied for looks only, and if the pistol is fired with any regularity, the aftermarket finish will eventually wear as well.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Most of my Walthers have gone "swimming" in the ocean and about the only issue I've ever had was one back strap roll pin on my Q First Edition had some rust and a tiny spot of rust on the mag release button of my Q45...

All finishes are going to wear but unless you are doing something really nasty your Q won't rust away...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My favorite finish is wear that I've put on the pistol from shooting it.

I'd suggest using the funds for ammunition and practice. I can count on one hand (and maybe one finger) the amount of times I've heard of barrels on these pistols suffering from corrosion issues in the 22 years the 99-series pistols have been available. The barrel and slide are nitrocarburized. Any aftermarket finish is not going to do much other than be applied for looks only, and if the pistol is fired with any regularity, the aftermarket finish will eventually wear as well.
It’s only for appearance. Only reason why I sent mine out. Cheap $50. I have wasted more on more worthless crap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 5" ppq m2, Been debating on Tin coating the slide and making the barrel silver. Would look great with the slots on the slide.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Back in 2016, I had the slide of my then new 5" .40 PPQ refinished in black titanium nitride. I liked it so much that I subsequently also sent the barrel in for the same refinishing.

I am genuinely shocked at how durable the finish is. Hundreds of rounds through the PPQ since the refinish and there is no discernible wear to be seen. No "smiley" patterns on the barrel, no abrasion marks on the breechface.

Here are a couple of "glamor" shots of the PPQ I took after the slide was refinished (and before I sent the barrel in):

I've since also sent the barrel and slide of my .40 P99AS in for refinishing in black titanium nitride, with the same fantastic results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back in 2016, I had the slide of my then new 5" .40 PPQ refinished in black titanium nitride. I liked it so much that I subsequently also sent the barrel in for the same refinishing.

I am genuinely shocked at how durable the finish is. Hundreds of rounds through the PPQ since the refinish and there is no discernible wear to be seen. No "smiley" patterns on the barrel, no abrasion marks on the breechface.

Here are a couple of "glamor" shots of the PPQ I took after the slide was refinished (and before I sent the barrel in):

I've since also sent the barrel and slide of my .40 P99AS in for refinishing in black titanium nitride, with the same fantastic results.
If you don't mine me asking, but who did you sent it to?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I got the barrel back, is it unwise to post a pic with the serial number ?
It looks very nice, but after two or three racks, the slide locks back but won't snap forward with the thumb release... The first couple times it did, I am hoping it needs lube or a teeny tiny but of wearing in...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts