Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a PPQ Q5 for its accuracy, as an out-of-the-box match-ready pistol. I'm about to send off the barrel for titanium nitride coating. It will, at least in theory, make the barrel more durable. The question is whether the coating will have any effect on the gun's accuracy.

The barrel is ported.

One TiN-coating company has told me that the porting shouldn't be an issue because the application is a line-of-sight process; material shouldn't enter the barrel. But that is a qualified answer; he didn't say absolutely not. He also said that if the heating process (up to 800 degrees) exceeds the temper temp of the barrel material, there is a possibility of some distortion. It's a steel Walther-made barrel; I can't imagine it wasn't designed to tolerate temperatures of up to 800 degrees.

Anyone have any insight? Not speculation but real experience with this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

I just heard back from another coating company. They plug the barrel ends to prevent the coating from entering the barrel. If the barrel is ported, however, they expect that some material will enter the barrel. According to them, "The TiN coating is only applied at 2 microns thick so you will not have any issues with tolerances or accuracy."

It's not that I don't believe them, it's that I'm trying to cut the deck. Two microns is next to nothing, but with a muzzle velocity of 1,200 MPH and a target that is 25 yards out, next-to-nothing near the muzzle is still something. Maybe not enough?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have thousands of rounds through my Q5 and the barrel finish has very little bluing wear showing and it's only on the bottom, where it can't be seen. I keep a very light coat of gun grease on it and don't see the need for the tin coating. My gun will bench 1", 25 yard groups and there's no way I'd allow it to be heated to 800 degrees and possibly destroy accuracy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.