Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part story, part question(s)....

Bought our first handgun in January. PPQ m2 9mm. Love it. Spent alot of time researching and handling with the misguided mission of finding a gun that the wife and I can both use for HD. As I'm 6'0" and she is 4'11" you understand the "misguided" statement. She shoots it fine and likes the trigger.
However, she can't rack it and, despite changing back straps, there is not one strap that works for us both.

We then thought a compact 9 might be the trick for her. Went and handled serveral; Shield, XDE, PPS m2, Kahr, Taurus......etc....

Turns out she can't rack a semi-auto. Period. Tried different methods and different guns. She can't do it. Not a reflection on her. She is a tough woman and earned expert on the M16 at Fort McClellan. Must just be a body mechanics issue with her size. :confused:

Side note - after shooting a friends S&W 64 we decided that is her solution and will be securing one this summer.

Now to the point. While handling the PPS m2 I had the same reaction I did shopping for the PPQ. Fit like a glove. Handles nice and, while a compact, still rides in my largish hand well. I want one.

So, as a new handgun owner, and soon to be CCW permit holder (this fall), I'm trying to figure why a guy needs two 9mm pistols. What I'm coming up with is different size guns will have different applications based on weather, occasion, conditions and so forth. Been reading up on CCW principles before I take my class and feel the winter carry vs summer carry practice has merit.

Do many permit holders use this practice? I see alot of multiple guns listed in members signatures and feel this means folks like to have options. Even if they are from the same manufacturer (I think I may be becoming a Walther fan boy).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Guess I’ll let my signature do my talking. :)
Seriously though I think there are different CCW guns for different occasions based on some of the criteria you mention. Love my PPQ .45! Is it a shorts and T-shirt gun? It can be with the right holster I suppose but sometimes, again for some of the reasons you mention, may not always be the best choice for me.
So in short I have multiple guns for multiple occasions and situations. Could I make do with just one? Sure. But why? Whatever direction you decide to go just make sure you are very familiar with the pistol you carry.
My two cents...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good luck with which ever decision you make.
You say you’re trying to figure out why a guy would need two 9mm pistols. Personally I like having more then one 9mm. I’m up to 11. The smallest is a Kimber micro 9mm and the largest is a Beretta 92. With 3 Walthers in the mix. I get to stock up on one range ammo and one carry ammo for all. There are so many options now for 9mm it can suit every taste. From a 1911 style to a a PPQ

I live in FL so there no winter carry vs summer carry for me...

As far as you’re wife’s choice, have you looked at .380’s? Mine has a Browning 1911 380 Black Label. Very easy to operate the slide and a nice little gun. But not a bargain. The S&W 380 ez is also an easy to operate slide and pretty affordable. Granted 380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm, but so it 38 special. Has she shot a double action revolver? How does she do with the heavy pull?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both responses. Pretty much what I suspected. I do like the 'one ammo' strategy. That's why my son and I both have .270 deer rifles.

As far as you’re wife’s choice, have you looked at .380’s? Mine has a Browning 1911 380 Black Label. Very easy to operate the slide and a nice little gun. But not a bargain. The S&W 380 ez is also an easy to operate slide and pretty affordable. Granted 380 ammo is more expensive then 9mm, but so it 38 special. Has she shot a double action revolver? How does she do with the heavy pull?
She put a couple dozen rounds through it. The DA pull was manageable for her and would only improve with training. She liked it and preferred the 64 to the PPQ due to less felt recoil for her. In fact we had both at the range that day and she declined to shoot the PPQ after shooting the 64.

I had no interest in .380 after I shot my brother in law's LCP - way too tiny, uncomfortable and couldn't hit a damn thing. Ironically, I recently acquired a .380 for one reason only. $65. It's not for carry. Not the wife's HD option. $65. It's as heavy as the PPQ and almost as big with half the capacity. It's ugly, cheap and was homeless (being sold from a friend's estate). Range toy/stash gun only. And from that description it should be obvious what it is. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Racking the slide on a semi-auto is not about strength. It's about technique.

If your wife can handle the weight and feel of an S&W model 64, then I suspect she needs to apply a different slide racking technique.

The "Rack the Slide" article written by Kathy Jackson, a firearms instructor, on her blog teaches the techniques... Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat

Kathy has over 120 articles on her gun blog that you and your wife will find informative and helpful.

·
Registered
270 Posts
(SNIP)
Side note - after shooting a friends S&W 64 we decided that is her solution and will be securing one this summer.
How does she plan to use/carry the gun?

I'm not very familiar with the S&W 64, but it looks pretty hefty.

Has she looked at other revolvers? I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 that I carry, and it's moderately sized. The DA trigger isn't the easiest for some, and my son's gf had a very hard time shooting it.

There are other revolvers that are designed more for women or people with smaller hands (Ladysmith, etc) that she may want to consider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does she plan to use/carry the gun?

I'm not very familiar with the S&W 64, but it looks pretty hefty.

Has she looked at other revolvers? I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 that I carry, and it's moderately sized. The DA trigger isn't the easiest for some, and my son's gf had a very hard time shooting it.

There are other revolvers that are designed more for women or people with smaller hands (Ladysmith, etc) that she may want to consider.
HD only. She has no interest in CCW at this time.

We have not looked at other revolvers. The 64 fit well in her hand, was comfortable to shoot and the felt recoil was much less for her the the PPQ.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
270 Posts
HD only. She has no interest in CCW at this time.

We have not looked at other revolvers. The 64 fit well in her hand, was comfortable to shoot and the felt recoil was much less for her the the PPQ.

Thanks for the suggestions.
In that case the larger size of the 64 isn't going to be an issue.

One other thing to consider was if the 64 she fired had been worked on to smooth the action or lighten the trigger, a pretty common mod. You would know if you purchased one, only to find out the one she fired was much better than stock.

In the event that she eventually decides to Carry (a woman can change her mind...) being familiar with a concealable handgun she already owns would be an advantage.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jonesy, I've had my PPS M2 9mm for a few yrs now. Started out carrying my PPQ M1 40 S&W as my everyday gun. Have switched to the PPS now for everyday carry. I carry it year round, summer, winter, whatever. In summer, I wear a tee shirt to keep the gun from rubbing my body when it's sweaty, etc. , wear a shirt outside my pants to cover the gun. I use a kydex holster OWB, from PJ Holsters ( $55 ). Fits like a glove, easily concealed. In winter, I wear a jacket to cover with. Open carry is legal in TN., but I prefer concealed.
I'm very comfortable with the PPS for PD. The PPQ now has bedside duty.
I don't believe your wife could rack the slide on the PPS either, it's like most semi autos.
Good luck with your search. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As for you, having multiple guns is a good idea in general, and multiple sizes is a necessity for most people who carry. And, they might as well be the same caliber- there's no inherent advantages to having more than one, and some definite disadvantages. A full size 9mm and a subcompact 9mm aren't redundant, they serve totally different purposes while sharing a caliber.

Your wife may be just fine sticking with revolvers if she can manage the trigger. There's nothing wrong with wheel guns for self defense, regardless of the endless frantic cries that they're obsolete. They're simple, reliable, and easy to operate if the trigger isn't an issue. As others have mentioned, you may also look into .380 autos that are on the larger end, like the mentioned S&W EZ and Browning 1911 .380, or a Beretta 84 or 85, or the .380 chambered Sig 250 if you can find one. There's also the Walther PK380, but its safety mechanism is complicated and less than ideal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grunt,

I'm recently coming to understand what you are saying - and thanks for getting this back on track. Very recently got the first tools to start carrying my PPQ M2 9, a Big Foot belt and Aliengear holster. Carried this setup around the house when I got it all together and was impressed. Not nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. Being a largish guy I put on a large t-shirt to see what the print would be for both IWB and OWB. Not as bad as I thought (IWB was obviously better), but still left me thinking the PPS would really disappear.

BTW, she couldn't rack the PPS slide when we tried it at the store. :( But hopefully links provided earlier in this thread will train her out of that.

Erich,

Starting to fully understand the non-redundancy of multiple size guns in the same caliber. Thanks.

All, Thanks for the input. Next priority after the wife's HD solution will be my next carry. That decision is getting more complicated than I originally thought unfortunately (the more I read on this board the more I learn, and sometimes it leads to more concern - that's for another thread).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone is different. I have 3 sizes I carry. For instance. Glock 19 or 26 for winter. Pps m2 for summer. Ruger lcp for gym shorts. In addition. The holster you choose can make a world of difference in any of the situations above. And the holster will fit me differently than it would you. Also. My wife carries and can rack a few pistols but with difficulty. She now purse carries a smith 380 ez. And loves it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think of it this way. I can’t tell you which pair of jeans would fit you best. You just know you want a pair of jeans. We can all tell you what quality jeans to buy are out there. But you really have to try them on to know what fits you. And all gun people will let you shoot and try on their holster at the gun range cause they have been through the same questions in the beginning. Golf clubs are another good example. You just got to swing them to know. To be honest. The journey is kinda fun. For example. I have a Glock 43 that I like. And a pps m2 that I love. I purchased a badger holster for the Walther and it rides excellent. The badger holster is about $35 bucks. So for my Glock I wanted a vedders holster which is about 55 and gets excellent reviews. However it pinched me to death when I sat down. So the vedders just didn’t fit me. Purchased a badger holster and the Glock fits great. Vedders is a great holster. It just doesn’t fit me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"The journey is kinda fun"....love that.

I completely appreciate everything you said.

The first thing a good friend of mine said when I told him I was looking for a holster for my new PPQ was, "get a box".

"Why", I said.

To put all the holsters you're going to go through in.

'nough said I guess.

·
Registered
270 Posts
We then thought a compact 9 might be the trick for her. Went and handled serveral; Shield, XDE, PPS m2, Kahr, Taurus......etc....

Turns out she can't rack a semi-auto. Period. Tried different methods and different guns. She can't do it. Not a reflection on her. She is a tough woman and earned expert on the M16 at Fort McClellan. Must just be a body mechanics issue with her size. :confused:
Did you try a Walther CCP M2?

The gun was designed to use a lighter recoil spring to make racking the slide easier, according to this review - https://www.range365.com/gun-review-walther-ccp/ -

"Walther applied its new SOFTCOIL technology to this pistol. A small port at the bottom of the rear of the barrel takes some of the gas pressure after each round is fired and diverts it into the gas cylinder below. This gas then acts on a piston, which moves to slow down the slide in recoil. Why is this important? It means the recoil spring doesn't have to be as strong as one in a standard 9mm semi-auto pistol, so it takes less effort to rack back the slide, making it easier for people with smaller and/or weaker hands to operate the gun."

·
Registered
318 Posts
Having 2 Walther 9mm. Is a good thing. I carry my p99 when wearing a jacket or windshirt and my pps gen.1 when wearing a shirt in a inside waistband holster

·
Registered
48 Posts
For what it’s worth, I just sold my PPS M2 because I still feel the P99c is superior in every way. At 6’1” and 216lbs having Large size hands the narrowness of the PPS M2 grip annoyed me and made accuracy more difficult. My P99c is only 0.25” wider, much more accurate, and holds minimum 12 rounds. The PPS M2 is a great fun for some but didn’t work out for me or my 4’11” wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts