Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to advise of the really great service I have received from Charter Arms. When contacted, you get a reply or resolution almost immediately, When i did have a problem with a new .22 revolver I bought, they sent FedEx returns same day and returned the gun a few days after that, repaired and with detailed notes on what they did and the extent of testing to insure it was fixed.

Ordered a few small accessories from them on Tuesday, had it in hand on Friday. Their service is so consistently good, it really stands out when you interact with other companies in the industry.

They really only make lightweight revolvers but represent a great value in their niche. Surprised how many features we take for granted were originated by Charter.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I have no experience with Charter Arms at all. A few years ago I almost ordered a Southpaw because it's weird and I thought that having a left handed revolver might encourage me to do more weak hand shooting.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The CEO has an Undercover 38Spl her Moms used to carry over 40 years ago. Accurate little gun, can shoot some surprisingly tight groups at 10 yds offhand.
I've heard from several Charter Arms owners that customer service is the best they've experienced.
If it's a Charter Arms firearm that is not clearly abused (regardless of age), and not functioning properly, the repairs are usually no charge.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I often see reviews of Charter Arms and they almost invariably say something to the effect that "It's not a___________"(insert S&W, Colt, Ruger as needed). They usually fail to note that none of those companies are offering 20 oz revolvers in .44 Spl, .45 Colt, .41 magnum, .45 ACP, and .40 S&W.

Charter's original success was offering a very small, light .38 Spl that could be safely carried with all chambers loaded due to their introduction of the hammer block safety.

I don't think they even offer a product that isn't under $500. One small thing I've come to appreciate in their design is that all the guns have the same grip frames so all grips interchange. I can switch between laser grips, full size grips, and small concealed grips on both the .44 I own and the .22 I added for low cost practice.

I still like my Walthers and enjoy shooting them but if it ever comes down to a "somebody is going to get hurt" scenario, I'd just as soon have the .44 and 5 big hollow points.

·
Super Moderator
7,319 Posts
A buddy has one of their .44 revos and thinks well of it. He is one of those "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46" guys, so Charter's big bore snubs are right down his alley.
We gun snobs tend to look down our noses at Charter...perhaps we shouldn't ! ;)
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
A buddy has one of their .44 revos and thinks well of it. He is one of those "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46" guys, so Charter's big bore snubs are right down his alley.
We gun snobs tend to look down our noses at Charter...perhaps we shouldn't ! ;)
Moon
I remember checking out a Charter Arms .38 at a local gunshop's "vendor days" event.

The smoothness of the action shocked me. I would not doubt if the action was slicked up as it was a sales sample gun but it was real nice.

I came away thinking I could definitely shoot the thing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was probably stock. The single action break on both my .22 and .44 are like the proverbial "glass rod". Double action on my .44 is a little heavier than the .22 but I can shoot both almost as well as I can offhand single action.

Charters do tend to be very ammo-centric. My 2" .22 seemed erratic in accuracy until I tried sub-sonic loads and the groups shrunk. Just tried the Winchester Sub-sonic with the 45 grain bullet and the shrunk even more. With ammo they like, these guns shoot very well, far better than I expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts