Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic comes up all the time on the Glock forum with people falling out on both sides of the issue. The S&W M&P and the Sig 320 can be had with or without thumb safeties. So what is the general feeling here about having Walther offer a PPQ with a thumb safety?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not my preference. On a single action, like a 1911, yes. None of my M&Ps, my 320, and other non-1911s have no manual safety. I even did the G mod on my Beretta.

YMMV. I have no objection for folks that prefer having one.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Doesn’t matter to me. As long as the safety is turned off by pushing it down.

On most guns, with the correct grip it’s a simple thing.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If it has not happened by now with the PPQ, I don't believe we will ever see it. M&P line did it right with the safety as it can easily be removed and they will supposedly send you the frame plugs for free. It appears the vast majority of striker fired pistol users prefer no safety.

·
Registered
284 Posts
[deltaforcevoice]“This is my safety.”[/deltaforcevoice] (while showing his trigger finger.)

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
If you want a safety buy a P99. It has that lovely decocker.

Personally, I see no need for a thumb safety on the Q.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I remember seeing a version in here of a safety made for the P99 for the South African Police. I felt that was very unnecessary for me anyway. As for the PPQ, I would be shocked to see one but wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

·
Registered
343 Posts
For me, as a totally subjective matter, striker-fired guns without either a safety or a way to monitor trigger travel while holstering (i.e. a striker control device on a Glock or the PPS striker indicator that moves if the trigger moves) are a no go for carry. Again, that's just me, others obviously reach a different conclusion and I won't argue with them.

So I won't be carrying the PPQ without a manual safety, or even better a redesigned striker system that is partially (instead of fully) cocked and has some external and tactile indicator for a moving striker. That said, if I want to carry a gun with a safety, I may as well just make it a 1911 variant, so I'm not sure I'd be lining up to get one if they did exist.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I don't care much about it. I would not rush out to buy a new PPQ if they came out with a manual safety version.

If I carried the PPQ AIWB, I might be more interested. But I don't and am not.

·
Registered
493 Posts

Well said! The P99 is the predecessor of the PPQ and is similar to it in several ways. Its SA trigger is even a hair lighter than the PPQ's (20 N as opposed to 25 N). Apart from that, its size, balance, sights, the fit and adjustability of the grip are very similar, and the decocker can be activated by the thumb of the trigger hand (albeit only by breaking your grip - and if you are right-handed). Backwards movement of the striker can be checked by holding your thumb over the hole in the back-plate while holstering the pistol. The mechanical retention system in my PPQ holster works equally well for the P99c.

The accuracy of the P99 is in no way inferior to the PPQ's - some would say even better, due to the lighter trigger.

Soooooo.......if you want a PPQ with a manual safety, get a P99 before they become obsolete.

Balor

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
Well said! The P99 is the predecessor of the PPQ and is similar to it in several ways. Its SA trigger is even a hair lighter than the PPQ's (20 N as opposed to 25 N). Apart from that, its size, balance, sights, the fit and adjustability of the grip are very similar, and the decocker can be activated by the thumb of the trigger hand (albeit only by breaking your grip - and if you are right-handed). Backwards movement of the striker can be checked by holding your thumb over the hole in the back-plate while holstering the pistol. The mechanical retention system in my PPQ holster works equally well for the P99c.

The accuracy of the P99 is in no way inferior to the PPQ's - some would say even better, due to the lighter trigger.

Soooooo.......if you want a PPQ with a manual safety, get a P99 before they become obsolete.

Balor
If enough people buy P99s, Walther probably continues making them. If the sales slide downward, it probably goes the way of the P5, P88, ... Just how it goes.

I've said it before. The P99 is a great and underappreciated pistol.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I was under the impression Walther can't make the 99 fast enough to keep up with sales. Whenever a new batch arrives it gets snapped up in weeks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I did and put up my PPQ. Since humans are not infallible, I just think it is hard to err on the side of safety and safety devices.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If a Q5 SF had a manual safety, we could all have that really cool trigger the Germans can have. I actually miss my 1911 thumb safety when shooting my SF. It helps with recoil control too.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
If a Q5 SF had a manual safety, we could all have that really cool trigger the Germans can have. I actually miss my 1911 thumb safety when shooting my SF. It helps with recoil control too.
Excellent point. I'd deal with a thumb safety if it got me that trigger.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So I won't be carrying the PPQ without a manual safety, or even better a redesigned striker system that is partially (instead of fully) cocked and has some external and tactile indicator for a moving striker.
Walther have already produced three different models with the two features you describe. The PPQ P3/M3 and the P99 Q are not sold to civilians, but the P99 QA was available on the civilian market and was not particularly well received. It has since been withdrawn. All three models have partially pre-cocked trigger mechanisms, as well as the hole in the back-plate which the rear end of the striker protrudes through (when partially pre-cocked the striker can be seen but not felt - it protrudes when the trigger is pulled).

Balor

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd love a PPQ M3. If they became available stateside I'd buy two. I'm totally aware the P99QA is out there, but to me it's "decocker" is a deal breaker, especially since after thousands upon thousands of reps with P99s I'm used to hitting the decocker consistently. On a QA, that would be a major problem.

For now, I'm sticking with the P99 and a PPS for when I need something smaller. If I were to switch to a different full size gun, I have no idea what it would be. I'll probably wait until I run into some compelling reason to use something else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts