Walther Forums banner

Threaded Barrels Available from Walther (Germany)?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Unjoiner 
#1 ·
I noticed that the German Walther website offers a suppressor package for the P99 (threaded barrel, suppressor, thread protector, etc.).  Now importing the suppressor is a big no-no for us in the States, but what about the threaded barrel?

Smith&Wesson/WaltherAmerica doesn't import these barrels, nor do they plan to, and Earl's Repair Service has them for about $400 (too close to the price of a new P99 for my taste).

I'd like to keep the barrel OEM, mainly for fitting issues and because I think Walther makes excellent products.  Does anyone know if specialized Walther products can be obtained from Walther, without going through S&W/WaltherAmerica or Earl's... maybe via another importer/distributor?

My experience is admittedly limited here, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

#2 ·
No such luck!

WaltherAmerica or Earl's are the only importers of Carl Walther products that I know of. You can pay Earl's the money he is asking for to remain all Walther or you can go with BarSto or a similar manufacturer.

There is one other option. Contact the BATF and learn what is required to import a barrel from a overseas dealer. If you look at another thread, you'll discover some of the problems that buyers of various parts have encountered. Whatever you do, DO NOT IMPORT PARTS WITHOUT GOV'T PAPERWORK. It can be an arresting experience.

#3 ·
There are a few here in the States.  I see them every now and then on the gun auction sites.

I don't think it is illegal to buy a barrel, threaded or not, from overseas.  As long as you don't buy the silencer, you should be ok.

I would also advise that you go to the BATF web site, or call them and ask them first though.

#4 ·
It is illegal to import arms, parts, and ammunition without meeting stringent Customs declarations, payment of excise taxes, and meeting the obligations of U.N. arms control treaties.

Do the paperwork or pay the higher initial price. A number of forum members have gotten visits from BATF and had their purchases seized for buying overseas without Customs declarations.

#6 ·
I've been looking through the ATF web site and this is what I've come up with:

"An unlicensed person may obtain a permit to import sporting type ammunition (excluding tracer or incendiary) and firearm parts (other than frames, receivers or actions) without engaging the services of a Federal firearms licensee, provided the importation is for his personal use and not for resale."

Other than this statement, they are more concerned with frames, silencers and machine gun parts than anything else. So it would appear that you can import one with the right paperwork.

Give the ATF a call and get the paper work. It will probably be cheaper than Earls!

#7 ·
ATF is not the only agency that has purview over imports. Check with Immigrations and Customs Enforcement [ICE] about importation of weapon parts. There is a huge section of the United States Code concerning the import and export of arms and related materials.

It isn't as simple as it seems....

#8 ·
P88 & blueiron: Thanks for the information guys, it was appreciated.  I also appreciated the cautions on making sure no laws are violated, it can be tricky navigating through the various government agencies' regulations.

I think I might have to go non-OEM on the barrel... just too expensive to go through Earl's.  He seems to be the only Walther importer/distributor carrying Walther threaded barrels.  WaltherAmerica/S&W don't, and while I found there is a third US distributor Champions Choice, they only sell target/competition related Walther products.

DTQ:  Thanks for the information on Jarvis barrels.  I had looked at these barrels before.  It looks like this might be a better way to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.