Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to the service department at Walther. 9mm is 1/2" X 28TPI .45 is .578 or (37/64) X 28 TPI

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Seems you've solved your own conundrum. Hahah. .45 usually diverts to .578x28, as you pointed out. 9mm??? Mixed bag. In my 1911, the rifling is left hand twist, so a Right hand twist thread prevents the muzzle device from being worked off. At least impedes it. Lot of bang going on with a .45, and on a big tilt barrel like that, things are bound to move. Back to 9mm, a lot of them I see are right hand twist, so whatever the thread, might be opposite of your rifling twist direction. In US, probably going to be 1/2x28 as that is the same for .22 caliber, too, and easy to produce same thread on many different platforms instead of designating a thread for a single platform. Could also be something like M14x(whatever goofy metric they use for their threads per inch, forgive the "metric" pun... =-p).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the .45 & 9mmhave right hand threads. But I understand what you are saying. Chrysler used left handed lug nuts on one side of their cars in the late 60's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts