Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first joined this forum last month I indicated I was looking to get a .45 ACP firearm to add to my growing collection; I am a new firearms owner (since April).

I saw a great offer on a new PPQ .45 from one of the big box stores online for $200 off retail price. Less than any other site I’ve seen + no shipping fees and no FFL transfer fee since I was able to pick it up at one of their retail stores.

I am intentionally not mentioning the store’s name because I am not 100% certain the responsibility is on them and they did provide a concession in the name of customer satisfaction.

When I arrived at the store to pick up the firearm I noticed a few things:

-no trigger guard tag that you usually see on a new weapon
-a scratch on the top of the slide
-the inability to dry-fire the gun and inability to field strip it due to the store’s policy of having installed a locking mechanism that is not to be removed in-store.

The store acknowledged the scratch, but was quick to make the distinction between buying a firearm online versus in the store; and pointed out nothing could be done as the gun was already paid for in full. They also said there is no way the damage could have been done at their store and deferred to their online customer relations and even Walther. For my inconvenience and dissatisfaction they provided me a “small” store credit that could be used on future in-store or online purchases and I accepted the firearm.

Following up with the store’s online customer service they said I should have refused the purchase, but provided an additional store credit for the scratch...giving me the benefit of the doubt and taking responsibility for the dissatisfaction. All-in-all, the combined store credit now results in a “really really good deal“ on the gun.

I wish that was the end of it, but upon removing the store’s trigger guard and disassembling the weapon the evening I purchased it...only led to more dissatisfaction.

This is where I can use some advice based upon these pics I took:

-“severity” of the scratch on the slide
-interior scratches within the slide
-overly dry weapon which I understand by reading some other threads this may be perfectly normal for Walther even though this wasn’t the case with my PPQ 9mm
-looking in the gun box, was I not supposed to receive any type of paperwork i.e. invoice showing my name and the serial number of the gun like my LGS has done on my other 5 firearms purchases? I have the online order that refers to the purchase of a PPQ .45 and a SKU number, but no serial number linking me to the sale of this gun. Yes, the retail store had me fill out the Federal form electronically.

I am not saying that these items will affect the operation of the gun, but my perception of buying a new gun that is blemished beyond the slide doesn’t sit too well and gives me doubts as to whether this was a display firearm that was kicked around.

I have not fired the gun yet, but my next step is to reach out to Walther to discuss the situation and get this complaint on record. If you have had similar experiences or constructive feedback, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,619 Posts
The weapon looks like it has been fired a few more times than the factory test fires. Those are definitely bass markings on the inside of the slide. They should come off when you clean the weapon but it does look to have been fired.

As to the scratch on the slide. Well even if you had paid in full until you accept the weapon the transaction is not considered complete. That is on you. See what happens after a thorough cleaning and wipe down (maybe Ballistol).

Personally I think it might have been "lightly used" and dropped before you accepted it. I'm not sure what Walther will be able to do for you in this case.

If you can live with the scratch you'll likely love the weapon. Just don't trust that store again.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I agree with olsoul. At minimum, it looks like its been dropped or banged around.

Couple of lessons there. Don't accept it before looking it over thoroughly. Think twice before dealing with that store again.

A harsh lesson I know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas for the feedback and advice. I was quick to jump on availability and at a good price. Even my local gun store that didn’t have the PPQ .45 in stock said to “pull the trigger” if I could find it elsewhere, and yes I wanted the gun and put myself in a situation to rush delivery as I have had my mind made up on this gun for a while.

I’ll definitely be more careful in the future before accepting a weapon. I don’t want to necessarily discount the store bc they do have good deals on guns/ammo and I think they were the recipient of a lightly used gun transferred in from another store. My “Spidey Senses” were tingling and should have paid more attention.

I did clean the gun today (with Shooter Lube) and the scratches inside the slide remain. I may need something stronger...Ballistol as you recommended.

Last step is to fire the weapon...if I don’t like it I may invoke the Walther guarantee where I can return it if I don’t like it.

Has anyone had any experience returning a firearm to Walther under their guarantee?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Thanks fellas for the feedback and advice. I was quick to jump on availability and at a good price. Even my local gun store that didn’t have the PPQ .45 in stock said to “pull the trigger” if I could find it elsewhere, and yes I wanted the gun and put myself in a situation to rush delivery as I have had my mind made up on this gun for a while.

I’ll definitely be more careful in the future before accepting a weapon. I don’t want to necessarily discount the store bc they do have good deals on guns/ammo and I think they were the recipient of a lightly used gun transferred in from another store. My “Spidey Senses” were tingling and should have paid more attention.

I did clean the gun today (with Shooter Lube) and the scratches inside the slide remain. I may need something stronger...Ballistol as you recommended.

Last step is to fire the weapon...if I don’t like it I may invoke the Walther guarantee where I can return it if I don’t like it.

Has anyone had any experience returning a firearm to Walther under their guarantee?
Good point. I forgot about the Walther 30-day return policy. That's a way out for you.

Just keep in mind many guns are hard to come by right now. If the PPQ45 is your only gun, that could be an issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Totally! A lot of guns especially this one in .45 has been tough to come by. It’s my only .45 ACP, but fortunately not my only gun...P365, Walther PPQ 9mm, Creed 9mm, KelTec KS7, Mossberg 500 and Sig Tread M400 Pistol.

Once something like this is discovered it’s tough to have faith in the weapon for me. Even just looking at the box I have my doubts bc it’s the black Walther box with black lettering...not the blue one I see in all the unboxing videos. 🤓

Good point. I forgot about the Walther 30-day return policy. That's a way out for you.

Just keep in mind many guns are hard to come by right now. If the PPQ45 is your only gun, that could be an issue.

·
Premium Member
8,619 Posts
The brass kiss on the slide will come off will elbow grease. It may take a bit rubbing and a few patches soaked in Ballistol or your favorite bore cleaner (don't forget to thoroughly remove it afterward) but it will come off.
Your going to get similar brass kisses on the outside of your slide as the spent cases hit the side of your ejection port during cycling.

Right now I'd say your best bet since you are so unhappy with the Q is to call Ft Smith (479) 242-8500 and discuss it honestly with them. Tell them you are genuinely upset about the scratch on the slide...

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
No way is this a 'NEW' pistol. As you noted, no trigger guard tag, missing documentation, dryer n' a bone, scratched slide, etc.

That's waaaaay too much brass on that rail. That amount of brass accumulation doesn't occur with the traditional 3 to 5 factory shots.

Same here. Waaaaaay too much wear on the bottom of the barrel cause by the recoil spring rubbing on the barrel during live fire. Somebody shot the chit out of this gun.

Same as above. That amount of brass residue would not be deposited with the customary 3 to 5 factory shots.

And the scratch on the slide is simply unbelievable.

In all honesty, you never should have accepted this firearm.

If it were me, I'd first reach out to Walther. If that fails, I'd get an attorney and go after the 'big box' store. Shenanigan's like this could result in them losing their FFL permit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the telephone number.
I was looking at stock photos of stores that have this gun for sale (or should I say ‘not in stock‘) and sure enough you can see the same type of brass kisses on the ejection port of the slide under the serial number. So I guess it’s common but gotta work at getting that to improve the appearance.

The brass kiss on the slide will come off will elbow grease. It may take a bit rubbing and a few patches soaked in Ballistol or your favorite bore cleaner (don't forget to thoroughly remove it afterward) but it will come off.
Your going to get similar brass kisses on the outside of your slide as the spent cases hit the side of your ejection port during cycling.

Right now I'd say your best bet since you are so unhappy with the Q is to call Ft Smith (479) 242-8500 and discuss it honestly with them. Tell them you are genuinely upset about the scratch on the slide...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, lesson learned big time. I’m going to reach out to the store one more time to see if this can be rectified.
Looking at Walther’s replacement policy, the process looks easy but the only problem is I don’t have any FFL paperwork as the store did not provide anything.

No way is this a 'NEW' pistol. As you noted, no trigger guard tag, missing documentation, dryer n' a bone, scratched slide, etc.

That's waaaaay too much brass on that rail. That amount of brass accumulation doesn't occur with the traditional 3 to 5 factory shots.
View attachment 93116

Same here. Waaaaaay too much wear on the bottom of the barrel cause by the recoil spring rubbing on the barrel during live fire. Somebody shot the chit out of this gun.
View attachment 93117

Same as above. That amount of brass residue would not be deposited with the customary 3 to 5 factory shots.
View attachment 93118

And the scratch on the slide is simply unbelievable.

In all honesty, you never should have accepted this firearm.

If it were me, I'd first reach out to Walther. If that fails, I'd get an attorney and go after the 'big box' store. Shenanigan's like this could result in them losing their FFL permit.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Okay, have a talk with the store one more time....talk to the store manager. Actually, it be better if you sent an email to corporate telling them on your experience and dissatisfaction. Tell em' they refuse to rectify the situation, you'll be contacting an attorney as well as the ATF. After they finish pooping their pants I believe they'll do the right thing, and that is provide you with a total refund or a brand new PPQ 45....one that you'll be able to field strip and inspect prior to accepting the firearm.

I think mentioning the ATF will get their attention.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I just got the notification that my PPQ 45 arrived at the same big box store that rhymes with lass bro pops with the $200 discount. I will insist on inspecting the piece thoroughly before accepting.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Are these being advertised as 'new' guns??? Be sure and take pictures of anything that's not up to par....meaning no trigger tag, missing documentation, imperfections, etc. (be sure to get a good image of the serial number on the gun as well as the box) Positively do not accept the firearm if anything is amiss. Simply tell em' you're reporting this transaction to the ATF and will be contacting an attorney.

At the least, someone is going to be fired and/or face some jail time.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Send them an email asking if these are 'new' or used. Get your response and save it.

Same thing for FVAL. Send an email to Ass Pro asking if your previous purchase was a new or used gun....include your order number and any other information that'll allow them to track your transaction. Or just reference that pistol in the link above and ask the same question. You need the answer to that question....in writing. If they say 'new', you got em' by the brass ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
😂😂😂
“Lass Bro Pops” Lol!!!

Thanks for the heads up! I just got the notification that my PPQ 45 arrived at the same big box store that rhymes with lass bro pops with the $200 discount. I will insist on inspecting the piece thoroughly before accepting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My location outside of Atlanta only sells new guns so we’re good there. I went back to the store today and they said they will be selling used guns but not until later in the year.

No change in opinion from the store as they insist it’s new based upon tracing the shipping records. They said Walther shipped it to the Bristol location in May and then upon receiving my order it was sent to Lawrenceville in June. I took delivery on the 24th.

The store insisted that the markings were from the test fire rounds. 🙄. I would love for you guys to send me pics of the underbearings of your slides that have at least a few 100 rounds through them.

Other than that they seemed fine on my next step of going to Walther.

Send them an email asking if these are 'new' or used. Get your response and save it.

Same thing for FVAL. Send an email to Ass Pro asking if your previous purchase was a new or used gun....include your order number and any other information that'll allow them to track your transaction. Or just reference that pistol in the link above and ask the same question. You need the answer to that question....in writing. If they say 'new', you got em' by the brass ones.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Okay, if that's their stance, it's probably gonna cost em'. Lets see....either provide you with another (actually NEW) gun at a cost of $400 or so, or suffer the wrath of social media and the ATF.....which could cost millions. Seems like an easy answer to me.

I checked my inventory and found two brand spankin' new Q's. THIS is what a new pistol should look like. A new and proper case, all documentation and a pistol that hasn't had the poop shot out of it and dropped in the rocks......and it's dry as all getout too.

The two I'm fixing to show you are nicely oiled and pristine. I don't remember giving they a light brushing of oil, but I can guarantee you I didn't oil any of the innards, and they're wet.

Here ya go.

I can only attach 10 pictures. I'll finish up in the next post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, if that's their stance, it's probably gonna cost em'. Lets see....either provide you with another (actually NEW) gun at a cost of $400 or so, or suffer the wrath of social media and the ATF.....which could cost millions. Seems like an easy answer to me.

I checked my inventory and found two brand spankin' new Q's. THIS is what a new pistol should look like. A new and proper case, all documentation and a pistol that hasn't had the poop shot out of it and dropped in the rocks.....
You are a gentleman and a scholar

1 - 20 of 48 Posts