Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have fiber optic sights on their PPQ? Both my SC and my 4" get significant carry time and while the stock sights are usable, I prefer a bright front sight with a blacked out rear. I really like options like the Trijicon HDs but $150 is a bit tough to swallow. I also used to be a "night sights on all my pistols" type of guy... I'm starting to realize that 10 years down the road or so i will have burned out sights that will either need replacement or re-lamping (if possible) or I will be stuck with expensive used-to-be-night sights. I'm also seeing that its very unlikely i will be shooting in complete darkness and that I can still see the stock sights just fine in any low light situation i would be making a shot at distances requiring sights.

I shoot a FO front sight on my Ruger GP100 and it picks up really nice, and with a FO rod, it doesn't burn out and if it breaks I can replace it.

Anyone care to share their experience with FO sights and use them for carry/range duty? Any specific reccomendations?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I prefer all black rear and red fiber front. Just easier to see. The stock sights are OK but are very coarse with the overly wide rear notch.

As far as night sights, if I can't see the sights, I probably can't see the target.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also prefer fiber optic front and black rear sights. I run Dawson Precision sights in this configuration on both my PPS and PPQ, and I really like them a lot. Check them out, I think they ran about $80 a set. The fiber optic rod is a little small, but it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Similar to the above. My 5” M1 came with a fiber front sight from Walther. I’ve had Dawson sights previously and I like the Walther sight better since the fiber is larger diameter. I’ve also experimented with using green and red fibers, and eventually went back to red primarily for shooting indoors.

With that said, I also like the TruGlo TFX Pros for carry, fiber optic + tritium. But, yes, I guess they will dim over time and at some point I’ll have to replace them.

Also, I’m not knocking Dawson, they have various sight widths for the front sight and the rear notch width. Just depends on what you’re looking for.....range use, shooting IDPA, or whatever.

Dave

·
Registered
978 Posts
I also prefer fiber optic front and black rear sights. I run Dawson Precision sights in this configuration on both my PPS and PPQ, and I really like them a lot. Check them out, I think they ran about $80 a set. The fiber optic rod is a little small, but it's not a big deal to me.
Dawson uses a .040 fiber in their front sights, but I drill them out, a little cold bluing, install a .060 front fiber and ready to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer all black rear and red fiber front. Just easier to see. The stock sights are OK but are very coarse with the overly wide rear notch.

As far as night sights, if I can't see the sights, I probably can't see the target.

I agree 100% with all of this. Any recommendations? I had dawson's on my P07 and thought they were a bit narrow.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Hmmm...Let's see. Night sights $150.00
EDC weapon = life support.
Just how much is your life worth? 10 years 15 dollars a year for sights or about 4 cents a day.

That's a pretty good deal in my book for a life support system or even a hobby if this isn't an EDC weapon.

I carry TruGlo TFX Pros on my carry weapons. My life and that of my family and friends are worth it.

Reactions: Wolfierules907

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...Let's see. Night sights $150.00
EDC weapon = life support.
Just how much is your life worth? 10 years 15 dollars a year for sights or about 4 cents a day.
Cost is the least of my worries. But it is a consideration.... what happens in 10 years if the sights you love arent available and have been discontinued?.... Fiber optic sights Ive found I prefer in my shooting and are user serviceable. As long as the metal is still there and colored fiber optics are available they can be "replaced" if damaged. They also do not burn out.

I'm not bashing tritium, I think it's great everyone has choices to fit what they like best.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have PPQ’s in every caliber available and I run them all with a fiber optic front sight and blacked out rear. I prefer the 10-8 performance rear sight over the Dawson rear sight. I run Dawson’s on the front though, just because you’re given more options and I like mine a certain way that 10-8 doesn’t offer.

Night sights are cool along with the sight combo above, but when the SHTF damn near NOBODY looks at their sights in a self defense shooting situation.

It’s point and shoot.

There is countless number of YouTube videos displaying this.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Night sights are cool along with the sight combo above, but when the SHTF damn near NOBODY looks at their sights in a self defense shooting situation.
It’s point and shoot. There is countless number of YouTube videos displaying this.
Maybe this is why statistically, the police only have a 20% hit rate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
FWIW I have a Glock 22 with mepros from 1991 and the still glow....not as bright as new but if it's dark u can still c them.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I've got a mix of Dawson Precision, Hi-Viz, and LPA fiber optics on a variety of range handguns and none have ever broken. While I prefer tritium on a carry piece I wouldn't feel uncomfortable carrying one with a FO. Anything's better than a plain black post or blade.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got a mix of Dawson Precision, Hi-Viz, and LPA fiber optics on a variety of range handguns and none have ever broken. While I prefer tritium on a carry piece I wouldn't feel uncomfortable carrying one with a FO. Anything's better than a plain black post or blade.
Excellent point regarding plain sights and durability of FO.

Tritium is always a personal preference. My Sig Legion 226 has excellent tritium sights, and the green outline stands out during the day...but not as good as a FO only sight. Where it works well is if I’m in the shade/dark shooting to a brighter position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Maybe this is why statistically, the police only have a 20% hit rate.
I’m sure that does explain a lot of it. Along with most cops lack training with their sidearm, they get qualified for the year but don’t continue to practice with it. As you know, shooting is a diminishing skill if you don’t practice it, more so with a handgun in my experience opposed to a rifle. I only say this because I’ve shot next to off duty cops at the range. Most of them can’t shoot worth a damn. The range officers always shake their head in disbelief how bad some of the LEO’s shoot. The range guys and I have figured out after talking to a few LEO’s that they aren’t “gun people” like you and I. They don’t enjoy practicing/competing shooting, their sidearm is basically an appliance to them.

These shooting experiences I’ve witnessed are in a indoor range with “perfect” ideal setting with no distractions. Opposed to a real shooting situation with your nerves in your ass, huge adrenaline dump, and your hearts beating out your chest.

Just my experience and 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts

It’s point and shoot.

Actually when the SHTF one defaults to their lowest level of training. If point and shoot is all you are proficient at that's is the default.

I'll agree that most folks are either poorly trained or train poorly hence "point and shoot". At short range SD situations unless their eyes are closed this isn't an issue even in low light. At medium ranges you want those sights for a center mass shot (and of course the proficiency training as well).

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
gofor...Shoot next to your police or sheriff's tactical team sometime. You just might change your mind.

·
Registered
190 Posts
gofor...Shoot next to your police or sheriff's tactical team sometime. You just might change your mind.
I'm sure those guys can shoot, especially if they're on a special task force, but they make up an extremely small part of the puzzle.

Actually when the SHTF one defaults to their lowest level of training. If point and shoot is all you are proficient at that's is the default.

I'll agree that most folks are either poorly trained or train poorly hence "point and shoot". At short range SD situations unless their eyes are closed this isn't an issue even in low light. At medium ranges you want those sights for a center mass shot (and of course the proficiency training as well).
Yes, exactly I agree with you people will resort to their training or lack their of.
People shoot at each other from 5 yards and shorter and miss every day, surprises me to. Their are countless number of videos that show this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone tried the Trijicon fiber optic sights? They use a wider rod (.060) than the .040 on the Dawson's....

The specs seem that the sight picture will be off though based on the numbers on trijicon's website. (Prefer the stock "combat" sight picture)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts