Walther Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mr. Iwh8, hello, my deceased father used to tell me "you always have to have a carrot in front of him" he wanted to tell me that you always have to have projects, dreams.

Maybe that's what life is about.

If you will allow me a forista friend advice: do not let anyone take away your dreams ... never stop dreaming. Get on with your project if that's what you want. Well I hear voices of discouragement.

Going back to my father, he retained an old chemical formula of old Swiss watches that were stainless steel in the case and given a fine polished black not blue. You cannot keep everything and I do not keep the information to help you, as I would like.

A final reflection, it seems that we human beings are never satisfied with what we have.

Some pristine Walther PP Series owners complain about the small beaver tail and I saw an online case of someone who modified it by enlarging it.
I have also felt complaints about how delicate its fine blue finish is and are afraid of damaging it if they carry it, so keep it in its safe.

Some owners of the PP Series S&W, complain about the ugly aesthetics of the long beaver tail and are bothered by the port, they long for the original.
I have also felt complaints that being Stainless Steel, they have lost beauty and beautiful spirit of the original fine blue finish.

A joke to end, in my town there is a saying that says "all women are beautiful except mine ..."

To think about it.
Just my 2 cents.
Luck !

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, the photo from me above is a crappy one that looks like a parkerized, but it's not. So
here is a better photo.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I'll throw out my usual Doubting Thomas caveats about carrying guns that are uncommon or hard to replace (everything from unavoidable wear to the dreaded police evidence locker), but that's a call only the owner can make. It is their money.
Bluing is beautiful, but there is a reason those of us who have been packing for awhile couldn't wait to get away from it. My Glocks/SIGs are tools, no guilt in carry or abuse, and are a gun easily replaced. The stainless Smiths get more care, but they don't need babying.
Stainless, and now high-tech finishes have been an absolute gift for guns that actually get used, a lot.
For the PP who remarked about Glock finishes; it's been an article of faith over on the Glock forum about the durability and "slipperiness" of the various finishes.
Moon

·
Registered
186 Posts
Can't find much to disagree with you, moon. You've got excellent views on preservation, but for me, a high-quality gun put into a safe and never shot loses its place as a firearm and become an artifact because it's too valuable to shoot, And I'm subject to that attitude...if I had a cherry unfired PPK pre-war, I'd safe it. But the decision would be an act of betrayal to my other side, which believes a gun that can't be fired is no longer a gun, I read something in a book somewhere that a ship is safest in harbor, but that's not ships were built for, Following that, IMO, carry guns weren't meant to sit in a safe.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Gene, I make a distinction between 'safe queens' and 'range queens'. There's things that I shouldn't shoot; a Colt 'Black Army' factory replica of a 1911. It will never see a holster, but I like to shoot it. Remember that scene in The Sand Pebbles where Crenna's character charges the Chinese boat, boarding cutlass in one hand, and 1911 in the other? Most guns are just fun to shoot, and maybe remember glory days.
Concur that guns were meant to be shot, but there's a distinction between 'shot' and 'carried'.
BTW, occasionally lurk over on the Colt forum; a guy had a blued Python, still in factory plastic, with factory lube...he was in anguish about removing it from the plastic sleeve. Gak.
Moon

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Says who? I carry my 1967 PPK all the time and it is a perfect carry gun for me. The value of the pleasure I get from having it on my hip far outweighs the actual cash value. Value after all is relative.
I have a 1964 PPK I carry a lot too. the finish holds up very well and...no uglynimport mark!;)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts