Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was willed a PP that a family friend brought home after the war. I started a earlier post on its background. I sent it off to Earl who repaired anything he deemed not correct, It shoots amazingly well in my opinion. My question is , should one feel guilty about actually using it as intended ? I mean taking it to the range(my own on property) CC , showing it and explaining to the young generation. Some I have discussed this with think it should be preserved and not subject it to abuse. The gun sat untouched since 45 and already has significant pitting, so I’m of the mind to use it as Karl envisioned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m of the opinion if it’s in rough shape on the outside shoot away. I have duplicates of mint wartime guns just as shooters. Assuming it’s not a rare version and just your run of the mill wartime PP enjoy it.

From a CC perspective I would not. Yes, it’s about placement but it’s also about how much stopping power a round has. Which the .32 is lackluster. Add on top of that, God forbid you ever have to use it, but I would not want to be in the paper as the guy who shot someone with a Nazi gun. Maybe the press would be gentle on someone but with today’s political climate I doubt it.

In short, take it to the range, show it and present it’s history to the youth, but don’t CC. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I said on your previous post, enjoy your pistol. Make sure you keep a written history, the best you can find. It is a piece of history and many of these pistols have had any history lost. If you have other SD weapons use them for CC.

Best of luck with your pistol. Keep it clean and lubricated and out of the leather holster.

Duncan

·
Registered
362 Posts
Definitely shoot it and teach others about its history. I wouldn't carry for SD as others have stated here but also should you use it, can you imagine having to throw it down upon direction by the PD? Or even having it returned back to you from the evidence locker? Ive heard they will sometimes use an electro-pen on them. It would break my heart. I have a beautiful WWII era and have taken it out to the range but its enjoying a very easy retirement.

Enjoy and congrats!

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wouldn’t shoot it at the range all day every day, but take it have have some fun. Take another gun or three with you. As far as CC, I’d have no qualms in taking it as there is probably a 99.9% chance you will ever need to fire it in defense.

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
I wouldn’t shoot it at the range all day every day, but take it have have some fun. Take another gun or three with you. As far as CC, I’d have no qualms in taking it as there is probably a 99.9% chance you will ever need to fire it in defense.
Please, Wild', due respect and no offense, but that argument, taken to its logical conclusion, would have us leaving our CC guns home in the safe.
Carrying a cherished or hard to replace gun is a bad idea, just in case.
Moon

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Having fun at the range with it, sure. But carrying for actual self defense purposes? Nah. I don't drive a Model T to work either. I do however carry a small 1911 ;) That one isn't 70 years old though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Have to admit i recently retired all my Walther pistols with the exception of my interarms PPK/S from carry duties,, just too rare and too nice to worry about losing them to LE or damaging them. Just picked up a Sig 938 which i consider to be expendable. Even the Interarms one is now on light duty as i have grown rather attached to it after 35 yrs. carrying it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts