Walther Forums banner

101 - 101 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
My only complaint against smaller diameter "high performance" ammo (9mm HP's, etc, or ANY newer hollow point or advanced expanding bullets) is this: they do not always expand, and even if they do, at what point in the target are they equal to, or expanding beyond .451 diameter. Yes, some 9mm's expand to .60-.70", but probably not for the first or second inch of tissue. A .45 doesn't have to expand to make that, or even better, tissue contact, and will penetrate deeper. Penetration was what forensic analysis of the FBI Miami shootout felt was lacking, and the reason they moved up from the 9mn and .38's they were using at the time. I guess it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with....until it is found, possibly once again, that that is not enough.....
You could make a case Matquig the FBI would have been better off armed with the guns and bullets they used in the 30s and 40s. 1911s loaded with hardball. Real N-frame 357s shooting real 357 magnum loads and maybe Thompson 45s. No lack of penetration issues with those guns and loads.

The lessons learned fighting depression era gangsters in automobiles were cast aside by the 1980s. Only to be rediscover in the post incident analysis.

As I wrote earlier, this stuff seems to go in waves.

101 - 101 of 101 Posts