Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say how it happened, but a round went off unsupported by the chamber. I'm sure Walther will say it was a double charge or something, but it wasn't. I need to go back to the range to find the firing pin, since that's the part I believe hit me in the face.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
That sucks. Please keep us posted as to what Walther says.

What do you think happened exactly? Did the slide not return to battery before the next round detonated?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already know what Walther is going to say. They are going to say it was a double charge. I suspect it wasn't though because the next round had it's bullet completely flattened sideways and pushed all the back in it's case. That tells me it was behind the round that detonated and not in the magazine, where it was supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I already know what Walther is going to say. They are going to say it was a double charge. I suspect it wasn't though because the next round had it's bullet completely flattened sideways and pushed all the back in it's case. That tells me it was behind the round that detonated and not in the magazine, where it was supposed to be.
Walther has to know that gun has issues by now.

Were you shooting commercial ammo or reloads?

I wish you luck with this. Please keep us posted as I am sure many here will be curious as to how this plays out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, should have put this picture up first. This is what's left of the casing, which is also why I think it was out of battery. I don't believe that was supported by the barrel...just saying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh, should have put this picture up first. This is what's left of the casing, which is also why I think it was out of battery. I don't believe that was supported by the barrel...just saying. View attachment 96188
That photo is supportive of your conclusion. I can’t imagine a casing being so destroyed unless it fired our while out of battery. Since I am considering purchasing a CCP I will be paying close attention to this thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had a similar incident recently with my (not a Walther!) Ruger 10/22, had cleaned the bolt and chamber though obviously left some crud in place. A round, which did not go fully home, managed to ignite sending a 'huge' (for a 22) flash and report in front of my face which kind of took my attention off the target! Had this been a polymer frame and a larger calibre round it may well have caused such similar damage...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walther got back to me very quickly and wanted me to send the gun back to them for verification to see if the warranty should cover it. I know they won't cover it since it was a reload (125 blue bullet loaded at 130 power factor. I also use thousands of these a year in 5 different guns except that I lost all guns except for this one in tragic boating accidents.). Just from a statistics standpoint, this would have been a lottery win to be a loading problem when I've loaded so many over 7 years without problem. These are light enough that even a double charge would be below max pressure for standard SAAMI spec 9mm. I do have another very interesting picture that I took this afternoon, showing an angled circle of brass in the chamber and a sliver of bullet cut off in the bottom of the barrel. The sliver of bullet (I gauge my bullets) means it didn't enter the barrel twist at right angles to it. The physics of this one are rather interesting. I really don't want another one of these CCPs, even if they would cover it under warranty. I sure as hell won't carry one now and wouldn't even feel comfortable selling it to someone else. It took my hand an hour to regain full feeling and my son pointed out that I had blood on my face when I got home. By the way, the gun was cleaned the last time it was used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't be so quick to judge companies. I had something similar with a FN FiveSeven pistol. Over 3,000 round on a second hand pistol testing all manner of unusual loads for suppressed 5.7x28mm to make quiet ammo. Then out of nowhere one round sounded different and pieces of plastic rained down on the ground. Shaking the pistol, it sounded like a pepper shaker. Took time but I got all the pieces. I was not expecting FN to do anything for me. I called, they were very concerned if I was alright. I sent in the pistol in a little zip pistol body bag and note stating I was firing handloads, fully expecting to have some gunsmith bitch me out about what I had done to one of their pistols. (All ready got that t-shirt from Dan Wesson, thank you. Their guru STFU when I explained being active duty Coast Guard and the pistol took a swim in the Atlantic Ocean) I never got that call from FN. One call back asking for an address where UPS can find me.... I was expecting the body bag back. Three week later UPS shows up at my work and delivers a brand new FiveSeveN pistol kit, complete with the three mags, manual, tools, etc and even the cute & useless once fire brass. ((Interesting foot note. Warranty repair and replaced firearms need not go though a FFL dealer. I live Alaska, FYI))

I have had good luck with all firearms manufacturer's. I was an Alaskan EMT, NRA Instructor and Alaska Hunter Safety Instructor. I have put allot of guns to endurance tests in real life. FN, Ruger, Marlin, Weatherby, Dan Wesson, have fixed my mis-adventured firearms for nothing.

As for Walther, when I met my wife she had an Interarms PPK/s in a Galco shoulder rig with two full mags on the opposite side for balance. I have a small herd of them now. My favorite (smiling thinking of it) is a stupid P-22 I tried to fire to failure. See how many suppressed rounds it could take before stopping of a true malfunction and not dud 22 ammo. I thought it would take weeks, it took months and months. 1,879 rounds of crappy Remington Subsonics (a dud in every box. Two if you are lucky!) before it jammed. I was thinking 300 something. Nope. I have now added the P22 and cute little suppressor into my hunting gear.
Kevin M

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't say how it happened, but a round went off unsupported by the chamber. I'm sure Walther will say it was a double charge or something, but it wasn't. I need to go back to the range to find the firing pin, since that's the part I believe hit me in the face. View attachment 96187
You may have had bullet set back which compresses the powder charge and can cause a detonation even if the slide is fully forward. I would say it is a very good possibility this happened as handloads often are not seated very tightly in the mouth of the case as brass can wear out and or some brands have thinner walls than other brands or even the same lots of the same brand of brass. Its easy not to catch this problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
((Interesting foot note. Warranty repair and replaced firearms need not go though a FFL dealer. I live Alaska, FYI))
Don't know how you manage replacements. My dad had a revolver replaced and he had to go through an FFL. The manufacturer reimbursed the transfer fee though. If the same firearm is being returned, it can ship directly to you. If it's a replacement, with a brand new serial number, it should have to go through an FFL. Not that I agree with that. I think all firearms should be shipped directly your home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't know how you manage replacements. My dad had a revolver replaced and he had to go through an FFL. The manufacturer reimbursed the transfer fee though. If the same firearm is being returned, it can ship directly to you. If it's a replacement, with a brand new serial number, it should have to go through an FFL. Not that I agree with that. I think all firearms should be shipped directly your home.
I asked. Was told they are allowed, some companies do, some do not. Fact is if law enforcement needed to track the serial number and contacted FN - they would send them direct to me - no visiting the distributor with a warrant, or, visiting the FFL.
I have a copy of the 1953 Sears Roebuck catalog. Back then you clipped a coupon from the catalog with your name, address and 'check the box saying you were over 21 and allowed' - add a check - they would mail any revolver or pistol to your home. That was it. How we went from that way of buying a gun to today, with more than 3,000 new laws and paperwork..... and people still think guns are an issue. I have no clue how to teach non gun people to focus on fingers on the triggers. #fixthefingers should be a thing

Reactions: old_tanker

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
I'm glad you were not seriously injured. That could have been bad. Always...eye protection. I expect they will send you a new pistol no questions asked...but if they ask....make it a PPS or PPQ or even a PPK. 1917

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
That photo is supportive of your conclusion. I can’t imagine a casing being so destroyed unless it fired our while out of battery. Since I am considering purchasing a CCP I will be paying close attention to this thread.
Don't even consider buying a CCP.
The trigger mechanism is a bad and dangerous design.

Sent from my E6820TM using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts